VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is in regards to my Pentium III build.

Ok so the SB Live! Sb16 emulation is pretty bad. I have a real sb16 isa card to use. Soooo is it possible to have both a real sb16 and sb live! together in the same pc?

Sb live i wanna use for windows 98se and sb16 i wanna use for dos games. If so how do I get it setup properly? Also can the sb16 be connected to the live so I can just use 2 set of headphones? Thanks.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The answer is yes to all your questions. I had a similar setup (SB16 + SBLive) for quite some time.

Windows lives well with 2 sound cards. You can choose which one is used by applications. You can even disable the other one in the device manager, although in principle there is no need to do so (unless Windows complains about resource conflicts).

You can use the same speaker set for both cards, by routing the Line Out of one of them to the Line In of the other one. For a while I had it set up as follows:

4.1 speakers.

SB Live rear out --> Speakers rear in
SB Live front out --> SB16 line in
SB 16 line out --> Speakers front in

In DOS only the SB16 was active, and only the front speakers worked (stereo). In Windows, both cards were active, and SBLive was the default one, and all 4 speakers worked (where 4-channel was supported).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I've done this on a number of computers oeuvre the years. I've used one of these and it works great. That way you can connect both sound cards to one headset/speaker system.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-RockStar-3-5-mm- … r/dp/B0017PG8KS

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 5, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I got it working. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Seems that bass seems to have dissapeared though with this method. Also not getting any soundblaster pcm in dos games using the dos window in win98se. Any ideas?

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 4 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a AWE64 in DOS and a Live! in Windows in one of my rigs, connected from their line out jacks to the same speaker set, through the simplest possible passive mixer. Very convenient, no routing through the other card, and no switches whatsoever.

Used 2k2 ohm resistors, which might be higher than recommended by some. Had to crank up the volume a little bit more than before, but my untrained ears can't hear any distortion, and better safe than sorry when you don't have the energy to calculate accurate values, and just want to throw something together to get things up and running as quick as possible 😀

You can follow this schematic, with resistance values adapted to your needs. Remember to connect the ground channel too, no resistors needed there.

Reply 5 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this exact setup in my KT7-RAID rig, but have swapped out the SBlive for a Yamaha 724 based sound card.

The best way for this to work is with a non-pnp sb16, as in my case Win98 doesn't pick up the sb16 at all unless I make it
go and search for non-pnp cards. With either card it works perfectly.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.