VOGONS

Reply 3580 of 27422, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to get an Intel i740 AGP 8MB to work.
Windows runs fine, I am using the PV40_9x driver from the vogons archive.

But 3DMark 99 MAX, 3DMark2000 and Quake 3 Arena are freezing.
They run for like 5 seconds and then stop. (press reset)
The DXDIAG test runs fine as well as Monster Truck Madness 2 (I can't tell if the D3D is really working though)

Celeron 1.3 / 256k
Asus P2B
640MB SDRAM
Win9x
etc.

I took it out of the case and checked the heatsink.
It's probably overheating but I cant get the heatsink off...

Any suggestions?

Reply 3581 of 27422, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mentioned earlier how my PAS broke when playing the end of ROTH... Well, yeah, it's broken on a hardware level and they cost far too much now. In fact, I think I've finally been priced out of this hobby, though as I own pretty much all I want I dont care so much past the point I think it is very unfair on newcomers and such. Especially the PAS as there were less for sale when I got mine, so there's no excuse guys, come on, lower your damn prices.

That aside, I took mine out to look at and upon first inspection I still couldn't find anything amiss. After a while I noticed my fingers felt greasy and then noticed a green pin on a chip, started wondering about that before I saw discolored solder by the amp. Lifting the edge of the large capacitors there is what I can only describe as "green fur" growing. Hopefully the caps are the problem and I have ordered more. The card sounds distorted, like really weird and it also starts making a pulsing sound after a noise plays in Windows - but only if it is a Windows sound, it doesn't do that when other applications have used it. This seems to subside a little if I press my finger on the board near the output, which further makes me think caps actually are the problem. I have ordered some Nichicon FW Audio Grade caps to replace them (Rated for 50V, so no worries running them on 12V).

If you want to hear the awful noises, I took a recording of the awful buzz and the dodgy sound quality. In the one with music you can hear where I pressed my finger onto the board at around 1:20. The 50Hz probably comes from the massive ground loop the cables running to my workstation have developed. Anyways, here; https://www.mediafire.com/?ue9niqm1cuv4rje

Yeah, I listen to awful music... Perhaps that's why the card doesn't work? It would rather suicide than have to play such music. Hopefully the caps fix it and with any luck they won't change the characteristics of the cards sound too much. Only problem, the tip on my iron fell off the other day, so I will have to cobble my old Hilka together for this job. I swear this Pentium is the bane of my existence, but it really does want to work, love it. I got everything else on the machine set up and working anyway, so if the card can be fixed it is a simple case of plug it back in and away we go.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3582 of 27422, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best of luck getting your PAS fixed up, Treason. That bites. When it rains, it pours...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3583 of 27422, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Redid my 486DX2-66 setup. This has the exact 486 case type I used when i was 14 years old, even the same sticker from the local computer shop! I will NEVER EVER SELL THIS THING. =)

-486DX2-66Mhz
-16MB RAM
-512mb DOM (Going to upgrade to an 8GB DOM)
-3.2GB IDE IBM (other drive started clicking)
-16MB VLB Caching disk controller with 2 IDE channels (4 drives possible) with Floppy AND....an ATAPI. So can control my ZIP, FLoppy, 512MB DOM and my 3.2GB IDE IBM (i like the sound..)
-Diamond Stealth64 DRAM 2MB
-Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 w/Roland GS daughterboard
-ZIP 100mb ATAPI
-NEC triple-speed CD-ROM SCSI
-BOCA Turbo 1x1 Serial/Parallel port card
-5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppy drives.

System is all set for me to play a few vintage games, mostly X-wing and Tie Fighter with all of the expansions. I'm taking a break from Wing Commander 1&2 for a bit, but want more space sims.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 3584 of 27422, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Any suggestions?

I've got one of these kicking about - you want me to try and get the heatsink off or test with the drivers?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3585 of 27422, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed Windows 95 C on my Pentium 166, fairly painless procedure! A lot of memories coming back! Thanks to Vogonsdrivers.com for some of the drivers!

KqM620rl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 3587 of 27422, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Continued checking out the Amiga core of the Mist FPGA computer. Very happy so far, out of the list of games, so far all of them worked. Just Shadow of the Beast has issues, but it also glitches on the Amiga Forever emulator.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3588 of 27422, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im doing some archaeology. 😀

This is the digging site, a Kyocera KC-40GA 40MB HDD from 1990. From what I can tell the last change to any file on the HDD was made mars 1995 so it has been 21 years since anybody used this disk. 99% of the stuff on the disk is from 1991 - 1992, MS-DOS 5.0 was installed 06.09.91. I got the HDD with a nice NEAT chipset 286 system I bought but scavenged for parts as the mainboard had corrosion damage which had eaten up some traces going to the keyboard controller, I will probably fix the motherboard some time in the distant future. The system seems to have been used by German biologists researching animal life in meadows, probably tracking environmental change and it's effects on different species.

Kyocera KC-40GA.JPG
Filename
Kyocera KC-40GA.JPG
File size
4.45 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is very interesting...

Kyocera KC-40GA stuff 1.JPG
Filename
Kyocera KC-40GA stuff 1.JPG
File size
3.67 MiB
Views
File license

I now own the German edition of StarWriter 6.0, awesome!

Kyocera KC-40GA stuff 2.JPG
Filename
Kyocera KC-40GA stuff 2.JPG
File size
4.46 MiB
Views
File license

I cant wait to connect a mouse so I will be able to play "Mah Jongg -V-G A-"!

Kyocera KC-40GA stuff3.JPG
Filename
Kyocera KC-40GA stuff3.JPG
File size
4.28 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-05-01, 12:46. Edited 2 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3589 of 27422, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

to keep it painless don't forget to terminate the ie4 installer!

I did 😀 I also added USB via a PCI card, convinced Windows 95 to recognise it and then even found a driver that supported one of my USB Flash Drives. This makes life easier 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 3590 of 27422, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally completed this retro build and setup MS-DOS + WfW 3.11 + NT4 on dual boot.

http://imgur.com/a/Mscg3

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3591 of 27422, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to use my freshly bought SIP Videotel terminal TTM90/TL as serial console monitor for Debian system logs - serial connection with USB-RS232 help estabilished without problems, spawned with agetty Linux command a login screen on the terminal, just for testing.

20160430_214739.jpg

Reply 3592 of 27422, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Any suggestions?

I've got one of these kicking about - you want me to try and get the heatsink off or test with the drivers?

Actually both would be cool.
I know how to change chipset coolers on Socket A systems but for some reason the
lower part of the pushpins of this card is much too wide for the bore.

Reply 3593 of 27422, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Finally completed this retro build and setup MS-DOS + WfW 3.11 + NT4 on dual boot.

http://imgur.com/a/Mscg3

Wow that is a lot of potential cut-outs for D-sub connectors 😀

Reply 3594 of 27422, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having gotten some more (recovered) cooling fluid for my workstation, I started recording a new Let's Play with my 386DX (Well, 486DLC). The game I am playing I have never seen past the second level and it is all new to me, gotten to level 4 and I'm actually really impressed so far. The music in said game is awesome too, I really under-estimated it.

No doubt it will start appearing when I finish the game, hopefully by the end of the week if I have time.

Reply 3595 of 27422, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put a Matrox Millenium G200 in my Pentium 166 build (replacing the S3 Virge) and ran 3DMark 99. I got 481 3DMarks! 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 3596 of 27422, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Continued checking out the Amiga core of the Mist FPGA computer. Very happy so far, out of the list of games, so far all of them worked. Just Shadow of the Beast has issues, but it also glitches on the Amiga Forever emulator.

Phil, did you have an Amiga back in the day?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3597 of 27422, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, the new home for my Athlon 64 rig arrived today, all for the cost of just under $20 including shipping:

EQXq02Xl.jpg

Yes, I am totally gonna hack this foot massager into a computer case! Nah, actually, this was in the box:

iHgfBISl.jpg
ZHytR1tl.jpg

It's an In Win mATX case that seems to be of pretty good quality. Got a bit of a toolless design which is interesting, with the yellow plungers for the drives and a bracket to hold the cards in. Also, that air baffle's gonna be coming out, and that Core 2 Duo sticker's gonna be replaced by an Athlon 64 one...

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3598 of 27422, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed a lovely old Yamaha CD writer made in 2000 that I got from Sunday car boot sale for 50p into my K6-2 machine to replace the dodgy noname 36x CD-ROM it had before.
Also setup my Amiga 500 for the first time in at least 2 years, playing some road rash, while listening to Tubeway Army Relics CD on the Yamaha 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3599 of 27422, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made in Japan?

I've noticed a trend with my last working drives- namely all Mitsumi, Panasonic, Teac, Sony and Pioneer - they were all made in Japan. Therefore, the available data would suggest that for whatever reason, they make the best drives. As a result, I will only buy Japanese drives from now on. I don't own any Yamaha branded ones though, so I've no idea how good theirs were.

My last working burner is a rather old Pioneer DVD burner installed in my Pentium III. I have a SCSI one too but haven't tried burning with it yet.

Today, I learned a song from Nitemare 3D. Then I got bored and, using a hex editor, extracted the music from the game... Would probably have been easier to do it the other way as I could have used the originals as a reference. Completed the game for the first time yesterday and had to laugh at the music because the music on Level 7 sounds a lot like the theme for my cartoon. In fact, it is frighteningly close to the early versions of it, so now, naturally I think Dave Schultz is an awesome composer.