VOGONS

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to run Microsoft Arcade from 1993 in DOSBox 0.74 with Windows 3.1 installed inside.
This game collection: http://www.mobygames.com/game/microsoft-arcade

The games installed from the floppy without complaint, but when I try to start the games, they freeze as soon as I dismiss the help screen that tells you the commands. Missile Command actually showed the words "Missile Command" and would rotate the color of the letters every 30 seconds or so. Asteroids simply froze solid and I couldn't get the mouse back out with Ctrl-F10.

According to the box, the games need a 386 at 20MHz or higher and Windows 3.1. When I try to start one of the games without starting Windows, I just get a message saying the game needs Windows.

Settings for CPU in the .conf file for the game are...

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=20
cycledown=20

According to what's displayed in the toolbar, DOSBox is using a 386 at 3000 cycles.
Is the problem somewhere other than the speed or should I change from the "auto" settings?

Are these games not compatible with Windows 3.1 when it's running inside DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
skitters wrote:

According to what's displayed in the toolbar, DOSBox is using a 386

You wrote that you are using cputype=auto, which should identify as a 486, and DOSBox 0.74 does not display the cputype in the titlebar/toolbar. Maybe you refer to "Program: KRNL386", which would be the currently running program.

If the titlebar does not indicate max CPU cycles when running Win 3.1, try forcing it into 386 enhanced mode by starting with: WIN /3

The MS Arcade games work fine for me with default settings in DOSBox 0.74 and a Windows 3.1 installation using the recommended audio and video drivers from the Win3 guide.

Reply 2 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you refer to "Program: KRNL386", which would be the currently running program.

Yes, I thought that "Program:KRNL386" meant DOSBox was emulating a 386.

When I change "cputype=auto" to "cputype=386" the DOSBox title bar says
CPU speed max 100% cycles Frameskip 0, Program: KRNL386
It says the same thing whether I start Windows from the DOSBox command line with
win
or with
win /3

It seems a little better using cputype=386 instead of cputype=auto, but still very slow and sticky.
If I move the mouse the cursor pauses for several seconds then jumps across the screen.

For example with Missile Command, the cursor seems to move normally for maybe a second after I press the F2 key to start the game, then freezes and doesn't move again until maybe 10 or 15 seconds later, when it jumps to the other side of the screen.
If I press F3 to pause the game and access the toolbar, the cursor moves normally, but as soon as I start the game again, it's super slow and jerky again.

Maybe "cycles=auto" should be changed to something slower?
I tried "cycles=3000" and Windows 3.1 took longer to start, but I had the same problem with the cursor freezing/jerking.

Should I change "core=" to normal or simple instead of auto?

I have these lines under [render]

frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

Should "frameskip" be something else?

Could this be a sound problem?

My sound settings in the .conf file look like this

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

Should I turn off soundblaster or use different settings for it?
Could something like "disney=true" or "tandy=auto" be confusing the game?

I'm using the Linux version of DOSBox 0.74 (Linux Mint 17).
I'm not sure if that matters.

I followed the guide at Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide
for the S3 video card and no gravis ultrasound for the Windows 3.1 installation.
It's been over a year since I installed Win 3.1 and I have made some changes to it, though not to the sound or video configuration. For one thing, I installed QuickTime 2.1.2 for another game. And I also installed something that was supposed to help with 32-bit games when I was trying to get the game "Connections" working (which was a failure because the game continued to skip essential cut scenes). Anyway, the Windows 3.1 installation is not "default" any more.

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Linux version unfortunately probably matters.
If that linux is 64bit then it is a wonder that 0.74 even runs on it.
Try running the latest source of Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Linux version is 64-bit.
I don't think the version of DOSBox is though.
It's whatever comes with Linux Mint Synaptic Package Manager, which seems to be this
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dosbox/0.74-3ubuntu1

The DOS games I've tried run well enough, though some can be tricky to install from floppy and I've had trouble with getting CD audio to play in games that use it.

Reply 5 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I finally got around to installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox on my Windows partition, and Microsoft Arcade does work there. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my joystick working with the games using DOSBox's joystick mapping. I think the problem is that Windows 7 is detecting my joystick as a hat instead of a joystick, and DOSBox doesn't detect a hat so won't map it anywhere. Linux detects the joystick axes properly -- but Microsoft Arcade isn't working in DOSBox under Linux.

Maybe something like joy2key could map the joystick axes to something Windows and DOSBox would detect as a joystick (instead of a hat). Next time I have a block of free time I'll investigate that.

Reply 8 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well MS Arcade ran in DOSBox under Windows 7 with no problem -- so it was a problem with the Linux version of DOSBox.
Unfortunately my motherboard promptly went south shortly afterwards -- at least I think it was the motherboard -- it wasn't the video card or power supply anyway.
Decided the 4-year-old computer wasn't worth fixing due to stupid overpriced proprietary parts, and got a new computer.