Which FTP server do you use?

Topic actions

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I know a lot of people use FTP as means of transferring files to their retro rigs, so I was wondering if may be someone found a better/more modern/feature-rich alternative to the Windows built-in solution. One that may be doesn't require a complex multi-step setup procedure and tuning firewall/NAT/etc, or may be can do cool things the default server can't.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use smallftpd when I need it. Zero setup procedure. It still probably requires firewall tuning, but that's just the nature of the protocol, I think.

I don't know if it does "cool things" since I don't know what "cool things" you might conceivably want to do.

Reply 3 of 27, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

windows has a builtin ftp server? to my knowledge from version 7 or so, only as an option, not the default

You do have to install additional components from the control panel, but yes, it's there.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 27, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I don't know if it does "cool things" since I don't know what "cool things" you might conceivably want to do.

Probably my Mac mentality, sorry)

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is only one ftp server you'll ever need for your retro-rigs and that's mTCP -> http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ - this is what I run on my old systems and then use a modern client on the modern side to transfer my files (I use FlashFXP).
I don't see the point to setup a server on the modern side and use an old client on the retro side - ofcourse that depends on what your retro side is... a XT or a p4 ? because if your retro rig can run something like win9x then why setup FTP at all? Just share a folder over workgroup and copy files over from explorer on your modern pc...

edit
So basically for me it's either mTCP server + modern client or windows shares ... no need to over-complicate things 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a file server built on Ubuntu Server Edition that works fine with all Linux OSes and Windows OS from XP forward. I have not tried my Win98 box with it because flash drives work fine. For my DOS PC I just use floppies or rewriteable CDs. Not felt the need for FTP in my environment. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 27, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

There is only one ftp server you'll ever need for your retro-rigs and that's mTCP ...

E-xa-ctly. This the only thing you really need. Either the client or the server, this way you can very-very easily do anything you want.
Unless your ISP router has an FTP server and a USB port. Then just marry the ISP and its router 🤣

Reply 10 of 27, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to use AbilityFTP and CrushFTP [though that may have been on an old Mac to transfer files to Windows os some such].

Can't recall a lot about Ability except I think I actually bought a licence so it must have seemed pretty good.

Reply 11 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased FTP Serv-U back when it was shareware with free lifetime upgrades (basically all features). Think that costs a couple thousand these days with all the options since its commercial now. One of the better shareware purchases I made.

http://www.serv-u.com/

You get a fee 30 day trial if you just want to use it once in a while (delete and reinstall). Has every feature you could ever want.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Probably my Mac mentality, sorry)

i understand gay, bi and transes coming out of the closet, but mac users? hush hush! :>

I sexually identify as an apache attack helicopter.

But to stay on topic, I use a p4-xeon system loaded with windows server 2008. The last edition to support things like appleshare. which works great for when I plug in my old macs.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Windows 2000 Server running in a VMWare Player session running in the background on my main desktop at all times. It fully supports AFP and Win7/10 can still connect to it's NT shares as if they were all the same version. I use a vhd to hold all the files pertaining to older systems (vhd backed up to another real drive, of course). The vhd is mounted on the 2000 system and shared off to both old Apple machines and my Windows machines. The thing makes a perfect bridge. FTP is turned on as well for quick operations when I don't have sharing setup yet. Keeping all of the old machine files in a single place makes it tidy and I only have to worry about backing up a single file vs various individual places.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 16 of 27, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We should really start an FTP club, if some members would put up some servers, where we could exchange stuff. Like a trip down nostalgia lane. We could have wishlists and whatnot. It would be fun, forge a community like the old days.

Abandonware, retro newsletters and magazine scans ... that kind of thing.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 18 of 27, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need a feature rich FTP, because you'll only use it to upload/download files. I'll try to get a (very) simple FTP.

Some time ago when I needed to set up a FTP server quickly, I used 3COM FTP server (now unsupported) of Filezilla FTP server (when 3COM failed).

I don't recommend any of those to make a public FTP server, but will work nicely to tranfer files at home. vsftpd, IIS and other FTP servers are better if you intend to connect your FTP to internet (in this case, I'll recommend to use a standalone computer to handle FTP / Web / ownCloud / any other public service), but are overkill for this task.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 19 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

I purchased FTP Serv-U back when it was shareware with free lifetime upgrades (basically all features). Think that costs a couple thousand these days with all the options since its commercial now. One of the better shareware purchases I made.

http://www.serv-u.com/

You get a fee 30 day trial if you just want to use it once in a while (delete and reinstall). Has every feature you could ever want.

Good grief, why so much money? How many bells and whistles can you add to FTP?

Is this too much voodoo?