VOGONS

Is a Voodoo 5 worth it?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 87, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V3 not supports TexFMT so you're limited to 256x256 textures for glide and opengl. Even V4 is better. V5 is even better.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 41 of 87, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

V3 not supports TexFMT so you're limited to 256x256 textures for glide and opengl.

Would be interesting to know how many games allow higher than 256x256 textures in Glide.

firage wrote:

X-Wing Alliance and NFS: Porsche Unleashed are two that have issues with all those cards regardless of driver version, other issues are more tied to driver bugs.

X-Wing Alliance v2.02 is reported to work well on GF3 (not TI) in XP, at least with 3D sound switched off; his hardware. Issues may also depend on BIOS in the concrete card, besides drivers.
NFS: Porsche Unleashed - a report about working on GF3, if to switch off ports and sometimes to reduce CPU speed.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 42 of 87, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loved my Voodoo 2 at the time, but really most of the games I enjoyed (such as Tomb Raider 3) work better with Direct3D cards. It's only seemingly worth it for Screamer, or the first Tomb Raider - and that has a high res texture option that requires nGlide. I've got no desire to upgrade my Voodoo2

Reply 43 of 87, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:
I wouldn't buy one v5, the only one for sale in my country have almost the same price of one gtx 970. I'm not kidding V5 5500: h […]
Show full quote

I wouldn't buy one v5, the only one for sale in my country have almost the same price of one gtx 970.
I'm not kidding
V5 5500: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-752902 … pci-vintage-_JM
GTX 970: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-758524 … 970-pny-4gb-_JM

US$1 = R$3,70

This price is crazy... I've been watching also from time by time the voodoo market on the german ebay, and i see the price actually here at ~80€ as minimum and 120-130€ as max. for the most available AGP versions.

For me, this is also too much, so i go with nvidia cards. The last days, i've also bought on ebay two GeForce's (2 and FX) and one RivaTNT2, including shipping around 3€ to 5€ for each of them...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 45 of 87, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just want to mention, as it seems that its been overlooked , the buy it now price on ebay is for people who are desperate and want the card immediately, the card goes for about 1/3rd to 1/2 , the asking price on ebay auctions or Amibay, I would just keep an eye on there constantly , if you dont mind waiting for one to pop up.

Is it worth it tho?

That depends on the person, in many way all of the equipment we own can be argued that it isnt "worth it" , even the sought after Amigas can be argued to be not worth it, as emulators do exist, but this is no different than any other hobby like vinyl collecting, vintage cars etc... we do it out of enjoyment of the hobby itself, the act of finding, restoring and testing is where we get our pleasure from. If you look at it in that light "Worth it" becomes a non-issue

Reply 46 of 87, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

I just want to mention, as it seems that its been overlooked , the buy it now price on ebay is for people who are desperate and want the card immediately, the card goes for about 1/3rd to 1/2 , the asking price on ebay auctions or Amibay, I would just keep an eye on there constantly , if you dont mind waiting for one to pop up....

Good point. Since I haven't been looking for Voodoo stuff in a few years I was assuming that the prices quoted in this thread were what to expect at auction. So yes, patience is a virtue on eBay. There are items I've waited years before catching at just the right time. On the other hand some items *do* relentlessly creep up and if you are *too* patient, can be lost to you for good. It can be hard to know when that's the case except in hindsight...

Reply 47 of 87, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Todays prices are really high. The only Voodoo 5 i own was obtained back in 2002 with it's original box for 50€. The original owner said it cost him 500€ +/- 2 years prior.
If it cost 50€ today and i didn't have one, i would go for it.
Today i would go for either Voodoo 3 or Voodoo 2 SLI. There are a lot's of Voodoo 2 cards on Ebay at the moment (STB brand) and they are either new or like new. Most of them come from Russia. Someone must have found some lost cargo and decided to make money from it! Good for him, and us 😁

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 48 of 87, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I thought I would go ahead and update the thread. Since I first posted I been scoring ebay for all things 3DFX on the regular. Seems like most Voodoo5 Buy it nows were between 200-300 and most auctions ended between 130-150. The other day I noticed someone posted a Voodoo5 AGP for 95 bucks with free shipping. Still probably overpriced but if I decent I don't want it I should be able to get my money back out of it so IdDecided to jump all over it.

Reply 49 of 87, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

One thing that not a lot of follks now is the 3dfx fans are hording 3dfx card to keep that one guy from picking them all up and killing them. You know, that guy that put play-doh all over a voodoo6000. And it's jacking up prices. But if you in the 3dfx loop you can get 3dfx cards for far less.

Reply 50 of 87, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

As the resident anti-3DFX guy, I'm going to say no - at least, on the surface of things.

They cost a lot of money and by the time you're paying so much you may as well have gotten a high-end GeForce 2 or even a 4 Ti which will probably do the same stuff better.

I don't think I paid more than $100 for my Voodoo 5500 a few years ago (like 2011-12?)..

Reply 51 of 87, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

One thing that not s lot of follks now is the 3dfx fans are hording 3dfx card to keep that one guy from picking them all up and killing them. You know, that guy that put play-doh all over a voodoo6000. And it's jacking up prices. But if you in the 3dfx loop you can get 3dfx cards for far less.

I wouldn't call it a "loop", most of us keep buying what we can because we Hate the idea of paying super inflated prices let alone doing so in the future so there is a race to grab what we can now before the price hike. The same thing happens when people go to stock up before the storm as trying to get anything after just isn't going to happen. What happened to good isa gear (sound cards) will happen to 3dfx fairly soon and people will be paying out their asses because of the resellers who already hoarded many years ago when these cards were often dirt cheap or even free.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 52 of 87, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This might apply to eBay, but anyone within the 3dfx community will know how to get 3dfx cards for much less. We trade the cards among one another for far less then eBay prices. Heck I just bought 2 voodoo3's for $10.

Reply 53 of 87, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two years ago I let a working Voodoo5 go because I thought the $30 asking price was too much. What are they going for now? 6x that?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 54 of 87, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

This might apply to eBay, but anyone within the 3dfx community will know how to get 3dfx cards for much less. We trade the cards among one another for far less then eBay prices. Heck I just bought 2 voodoo3's for $10.

So what you say is great and all. But, unless your willing to share your sourses I am not sure it helps anyone here who is relying on ebay.

Reply 55 of 87, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

So what you say is great and all. But, unless your willing to share your sourses I am not sure it helps anyone here who is relying on ebay.

Agreed

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 56 of 87, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Join a few 3dfx sites and make friends, then open a want add on their market place or ask if other users if they have anything to sell.
It's not rocket science.

Reply 57 of 87, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Voodoo 5 5500 AGP with damaged components but apparently working went for £96 + post last night on ebay!!!!
A creative banshee CT6730 for £29.99.
Getting crazy now if you ask me.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 58 of 87, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

wow, this could all be fixed if we all stop over paying for stuff.
I bought a diamond monster banshee the other day for 10usd, a rush for 15usb and voodoo1 for 20usd.
it's not hard to find these cards for good prices, Just stay away from ebay... or hunt for good deals on ebay.

Reply 59 of 87, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, just one hour ago i've seen the highest price ever i've seen for a used, single Voodoo 2:

A Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 3Dfx 12MB, coming complete with the original box and all content...... for incredible 97€

Canceled: 'Not bad...'

Replaced: 'Crazy...'

Last edited by melbar on 2016-05-28, 07:39. Edited 1 time in total.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66