VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Believe it or not never played Quake but wanting to try it out I downloaded the shareware version 1.06 but never got it working. My Geforce 3 Ti200 just shuts off but do get sound. Winquake is no different. Do I need to get a voodoo PCI version for my Win98 rig or try it on my XP rig with a GOG package?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

iirc shareware quake is software only it wont use a voodoo card
boot into dos using a floppy disk and then run quake

or go here:
http://quakeone.com/freequake/en.html
qet gljoequake it will run in opengl using your gf3

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 9, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember correctly, Quake 1 in all incarnations was software only. It needed GLQuake to come along and provide acceleration.

Quake 2 supported hardware acceleration out of the box.

Reply 4 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends on the release. Later Activision releases bundled GLQuake 0.97 (and vQuake for some odd reason even if it's a 2001 rerelease). There's also some VQuake shareware bundles with some Rendition cards.

Also I'd advise against a lot of horrible old crufty sourceports like joequake and the often blindly suggested "GLQuake 1.11 patch". You also don't need a Voodoo card to play GLQuake - the opengl32.dll included is for pure convenience reasons as Voodoo Graphics was the popular mass market 3d card at the time. You can safely nuke this file from the Quake folder.

A safe, faithful and accelerated bet that would work in Win98 and a Geforce3 would be FitzQuake. I'd suggest Quakespasm but that likely is SDL2 which hates W9x by default, and i'm not wary of its possible compatibility issues with older video cards.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GOG version includes the BIN/CUE of WinQuake. Comes with GLQuake and 3dfx support out of the box 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

The official GLQuake ports run very dark on Nvidia cards IIRC. There's no easy way of raising the brightness.

They run "dark" on anything not produced by 3dfx because 3dfx forces a high gamma of 1.7 to make you believe that's the standard setting.

Just kick up your gamma manually, or use a newer GLQuake (0.98 or any source port for example) and send the -gamma parameter (warning, it's fake q2-style gamma)

apsosig.png
long live PCem