VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 0x3F

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOSBOX-DOS-x86-Emulat … dkAAOSwv9hW3uOC

No words can describe this prick. He's already sold 2 copy's.

?

Reply 2 of 14, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A capitalist who has no respect for copyright law looking at his other sales! Get him!

Interesting first post though, whats your real username 0x3F?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 14, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

but does he provide source on request?

Couldn't resist asking him about support about his software. (I played innocent) He has the nerve to answer this : "Yes. I'll help where I can."

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 5 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I see he also has 7-zip, Audacity, OpenOffice, "FREECAD" (yes, he labeled it as such but is still selling it for the low, low price of $9.95!), and a whole bunch of other free software available for sale.

He's no capitalist, he's a con man looking for suckers he can lie to so he can sell them stuff that he stole.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The biggest advocates of free software (free as in free speech, not free beer) will tell you that they see nothing wrong in selling free software, provided that you comply with the requirements (i.e., source provided on request, license included, etc).

Ideally, proceedings from selling such software would go towards fueling other free software projects. Obviously not the case here. But there is nothing illegal in it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gog is selling games AND dosbox. What's the difference? Please can someone explain?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 8 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Gog is selling games AND dosbox. What's the difference? Please can someone explain?

The games.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 14, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Myloch wrote:

The games.

I've always been convinced that GOG payed something to the Dosbox devs for the use and distribution of the software.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 11 of 14, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Ideally, proceedings from selling such software would go towards fueling other free software projects. Obviously not the case here. But there is nothing illegal in it.

It may be legal but it is still "not okay" if all you do is selling something that people easily can get for free and giving nothing extra.
It's a 100% rip-off.

It would be another matter if he provided support (conditional "I'll help where I can" doesn't count because there's no commitment), tutorials, extra plugins (free or proprietary) etc.

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
MrEWhite wrote:

Someone should ask him for the source 😜

For that you have to buy it first from him. From my understandig of the GPL, when one offers binaries of GPL software you only need to give the source to those that received the binary.
That means when you offer a binary for general download, everyone can demand a copy of the source. If you sell Dosbox in some fashion (either like this guy or GOG that bundles Dosbox with the games they sell) you are only required to hand out the source to your customers.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, that's my understanding as well. The intention is that users are free to modify the software. I'm pretty sure he would also be free to point to upstream or even to charge a distribution fee as long as users are assured access to the source of the packaged binary and the right to redistribute.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder