VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

old post

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-25, 16:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I have a opl2 sound card with a nosy output.
Would a recap help with cleaning up the sound output at all?

Which sound card would that be?

I believe changing the electrolytics won't help much. Only certain electrolytic caps filter power supplies, the rest of them are there for other purposes and have very little effect to noise.

Moving the sound card to a different slot, further away from other noisy cards may help more.

Reply 3 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have had some success by adding a grounded metal plate (shielding) to the back of some Aztech card. Hissing was reduced noticably. Just make sure it is isolated, no metal touching traces and pins. Covering the analog section of the card was sufficient. Not sure anymore if covering also the digital sections even reverted the improvement.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I think it would help, but only to some extend. A recap can't fix a flawed audio circuit. (-> noise from the ISA bus).
To fix this, you'd have to modify the circuit and add some kind of blocking capacitors or choke coils.

In my opinion a recap is nevertheless a good idea. If you're skilled with soldering, do it. 😀
OPL2 cards are often about 20 to 25 years old, so replacing old caps would probably improve sound quality a little bit..
And never trust old caps. They can be broken eventhough they look fine.
Evenmore, sometimes they only fail in one circuit (especially rf related stuff), but work more or less in another.

Btw, can you tell us more details about your card ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

I have a opl2 sound card with a nosy output.
Would a recap help with cleaning up the sound output at all?

Have you tried muting the microphone. i have a issue were my sound card makes weird noises from the MIC output, when i mute it it goes away.