VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1960 of 3949, by krongo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly thank you so much for the program!
Recently I started to play Aliens versus Predator 2
and noticed bugs with the water and sky.
But dgvoodoo successfully fixes them.

but in some locations fps drops
I have a simple question
my graphics card is not powerful enough (ATI HD 6950) or
dgvoodoo speed can Increase in the future?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    75.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    84.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 9.jpg
    Filename
    9.jpg
    File size
    212.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 10.jpg
    Filename
    10.jpg
    File size
    204.84 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1961 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A short post again:

I've whipped up the next WIP, in a hurry. I hope it works and no regression bugs appears (didn't do extensive tests).
I didn't checked/addressed all the known (reported) problems yet.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP21.zip

News compared to the latest wip:

- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API
- MSAA support is added to DX8
- Resolution overriding for DX emulation is added
It can cause heavy glitches, especially for old 8-bit DDraw apps and software drawn
mouse cursors in some games. As always, select the resolution within the application
when you can!!

- Some bugs/incompatibilities in implementations of old D3D interfaces are fixed (Organic Art Deluxe)
- Handling 'VertexLayout' is now compatible of a real driver, in Glide3 (Arabian Nights)

teleguy wrote:

About WARP, did you find some workarounds for the problems you encountered (gamma, etc.)?

teleguy wrote:

Any progress concerning the DirectX 10.0 issue?

Tarvis wrote:

Is it possible for the emulated cursor in stretched mode to update independent of the game's framerate/screen draws?

Unfortunately no, to all questions. 🙁

teleguy wrote:

Just passing this on from other forums:
Several people have requested being able to turn off bilinear filtering.

Hmm..., interesting request... why would that be important in general? Or, is it just for Morrowind?

krongo wrote:

I have a simple question

I think that should be fine. Are you downloaded D3DCompiler_43.dll? Using that maximizes the wrapper performance.

Reply 1962 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm..., interesting request... why would that be important in general? Or, is it just for Morrowind?

They say the filtering makes the image too blurry and games look better without it. (Not my opinion though.)

The screenshot comes AFAIK from a mod for Morrowind and was just used as an example.

Reply 1963 of 3949, by krongo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
krongo wrote:

I have a simple question

I think that should be fine. Are you downloaded D3DCompiler_43.dll? Using that maximizes the wrapper performance.

Yes i downloaded D3DCompliter.
I think i found the reason of FPS DROPS

This is some effect associated with lighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltVIrOR50Y

Reply 1966 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
krongo wrote:
Yes i downloaded D3DCompliter. I think i found the reason of FPS DROPS […]
Show full quote
krongo wrote:

I have a simple question

Yes i downloaded D3DCompliter.
I think i found the reason of FPS DROPS

This is some effect associated with lighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltVIrOR50Y

Phong shading enabled? 😀

lowenz wrote:

"MSAA support is added to DX8"
through D3D11 feature level 10.0?

Yes. If no MSAA is externally forced (set to 'Auto') then an ordinary DX8/9 level MSAA support is available which doesn't allow MSAA textures.
However if it's forced externally then dgVoodoo reports no MSAA support to the application but internally creates all rendertarget resources (including textures, depth-textures) multisampled. Problems are with multisampled depth-textures with 10.0.

Reply 1967 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried the new Warp output on my laptop.

Virhe and MDK only show a black screen with the dgVoodoo logo visible and sound playing in the background. Jedi Knight finally works with 3D acceleration enabled but it's too slow to be useful.

On a sidenote, how does forcing resolutions work in conjunction with the "stretch but keep aspect ratio" option?

Reply 1968 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:

I tried the new Warp output on my laptop.

Virhe and MDK only show a black screen with the dgVoodoo logo visible and sound playing in the background. Jedi Knight finally works with 3D acceleration enabled but it's too slow to be useful.

On a sidenote, how does forcing resolutions work in conjunction with the "stretch but keep aspect ratio" option?

WARP doesn't show anything for some reason if Glide is in fullscreen. Don't have a clue, why (but it's ok in windowed mode).
I found some other errors with it, for example, other than 0th levels of mipmapped textures don't appear (black area) in Shogo.

teleguy wrote:

Exactly the same way as if the forced resolution came from the application.
(Except for the mouse cursor, it cannot be hw in that case.)

Reply 1969 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, resolution forcing is fantastic. Too bad I can't think of too much games with use for it. I'm sure there's games that will benefit greatly from it though.

Blade Runner: Software rendered. No change.

Dungeon Keeper I & II: crashes with forced resolution, works otherwise.

Lands of Lore II - Guardians of Destiny: Works wonders for texture clarity. Higher resolution somehow makes glitches in the 3D rendering more visible though. Same glitches that are visible at unforced resolution.

Mageslayer: I guess if you wanted this in 1920x1440 it would be an easy hack without dgVoodoo2, but dgVoodoo2 makes it really easy. No huge difference in image quality though. It is clearly rendered in higher res, but the top down view and generally poor texture quality doesn't make for an impressive change.

Mega Man Legends: Still broken in dgVoodoo2. Won't work at all.

Metal Gear Solid: Hey why does forcing a higher resolution fix the water? Looks good at 1920x1440, but the game still doesn't look that good.

Populous - The Beginning: Actually seems to reduce antialiasing artifacts for this game a lot. Can't see much change in rendering resolution though.

Shikigami no Shiro III: Looks good, but the increase from 1280x960 to 1920x1440 isn't earth shattering.

Silver: Major graphical glitches, though if I were to guess the graphics are probably software rendered anyway.

The Longest Journey: Originally a 640x480 game, running this game at 1920x1440 is a massive improvement. Sadly the cursor leaves artifacts, so I still wouldn't recommend playing it this way.

The Typing of The Dead: Broken in dgVoodoo2.

Wipeout 2097: One of my favorite PC games playable in native res? Hell yes. Though it did have a half-decent rendering resolution to begin with (1024x768 via hex editing).

Oh and Nvidia broke their AR correction for 320x200 in their latest drivers. Can you fix yours so I don't have to rely on that? Currently dgVooodoo2 AR corrects 320x200 to 16:10 when it obviously should be 4:3.

Attachments

Last edited by ZellSF on 2016-05-10, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1970 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Wow, resolution forcing is fantastic. Too bad I can't think of too much games with use for it. I'm sure there's games that will benefit greatly from it though.

WUUUUUUUUUUT 😁

I can play HeavyGear 2 @1360x1024....it's fantastic. (Mech 3 has the dedicated teleguy fix :p )

Reply 1972 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great!
I'll test more games, especially the ones you mentioned crashing.

My favourite now is NFS HP2, AFAIk only the ingame resolution can be choosen, but now the menu screens can also be scaled up to high resolutions.

(if number of games with glitching cursors tends to increase then I may try to fix it somehow, if possible)

Last edited by Dege on 2016-05-10, 19:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1973 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fun report about WARP 😁
I tested Unreal (yes it's my lifelong love since 1998 😁 ) with Gold (2001) D3D6/7 renderer through WARP+dgVoodoo2 and (unofficial) D3D8 renderer (with FULL quality and advanced features enabled) through WARP+dgVoodoo2

11 FPS vs 16 FPS.....so WARP is clearly optimized for D3D8 and later APIs :p

*Without* dgVoodoo 2 - to measure the performance hit/weight of "our" lovely universal wrapper - I obtain always 13 FPS, so some gain in DDraw and curiously some loss in D3D8! What's the magic involved in this, Dege? 😁
With LLVMPipe and OpenGL (same settings of D3D8, really the *same*) -> 26 FPS. LLVM totally takedowns MS WARP (lol).

And I dare to ask: in future - when you can, if you can - can you add a simple passthrough for D3D9/9EX/10/11 (to use/test WARP in modern games) ?

Reply 1974 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oooh, I can play Shogo without a UI for ants, comparison (guessing you can do the same with Blood 2):

Attachments

Reply 1975 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Fun report about WARP :D I tested Unreal (yes it's my lifelong love since 1998 :D ) with Gold (2001) D3D6/7 renderer through WAR […]
Show full quote

Fun report about WARP 😁
I tested Unreal (yes it's my lifelong love since 1998 😁 ) with Gold (2001) D3D6/7 renderer through WARP+dgVoodoo2 and (unofficial) D3D8 renderer (with FULL quality and advanced features enabled) through WARP+dgVoodoo2

11 FPS vs 16 FPS.....so WARP is clearly optimized for D3D8 and later APIs :p

*Without* dgVoodoo 2 - to measure the performance hit/weight of "our" lovely universal wrapper - I obtain always 13 FPS, so some gain in DDraw and curiously some loss in D3D8! What's the magic involved in this, Dege? 😁
With LLVMPipe and OpenGL (same settings of D3D8, really the *same*) -> 26 FPS. LLVM totally takedowns MS WARP (lol).

And I dare to ask: in future - when you can, if you can - can you add a simple passthrough for D3D9/9EX/10/11 (to use/test WARP in modern games) ?

There shouldn't be big performance difference between D3D6/7 and D3D8. Either of them you choose as an Unreal renderer, WARP only gets D3D11 commands on the other end of the chain (Unreal->D3D6/7/8->dgVoodoo->D3D11->WARP).
WARP can only be reached via D3D11 and supports feature levels 9.1->10.1 for rendering (maybe 11.0?).
I have no idea for LLVMPipe however, maybe it's simply faster (or you have Phong enabled or sg 😀 ).

For DX10, a DX10->DX11 converter could solve the redirection to WARP.
For DX9, it's not easy, it cannot simply be re-routed. I should implement a complete DX9 (as with DX8) to do that. But that isn't amongst my plans. 😀

Reply 1976 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dark Reign 2 also works with forced 2560x1440 (it didn't enumerate all resolutions before, on my computer it capped at 1680x1050).

Attachments

Reply 1978 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

WARP can only be reached via D3D11 and supports feature levels 9.1->10.1 for rendering (maybe 11.0?).

Well, disabling GPU drivers and removing all your DLLs I can run Unreal in Draw and D3D8.....and the rendering is different, I can clearly see the difference in gamma handling between the 2 renderers.
So WARP can work with old D3D versions too.

(I tested on Win 10, Nov 2015 Update)

EDIT: or it isn't WARP but some CPU emulation layer present in MS DDraw.dll and MS D3D8.dll ?

Reply 1979 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unsurprisingly since they use the same engine, resolution forcing works fine on Take no Prisoners. Same problem as Mageslayer though: graphics just aren't detailed enough to benefit any from it.

Recettear also benefits from a resolution boost, but not by much.

Twisted Metal 2 ignores the forced resolution. So does Commandos 2. Commandos 3 has major graphic glitches new to the resolution forcing.

Attachments