VOGONS

First post, by carlosn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a non-game app that I need help with. It is an off-line tool for theater lighting consoles (but that shouldn't matter) THose curious can find it at:
http://www.etcconnect.com/docs_downloads/soft … e/ObsOff510.EXE

I have gotten the application to work fine if I use a Win98 boot disk.

However, when I run it in DOSBox, I cannot get passed the initial welcome screen. It just seems to hang there using up 100% CPU.

I have already tried using a dynamic CPU core and turning off scaling. I"m at a loss of what else I could try, so any help is appreciated.

I'm running a P3 1GHZ with 640 MB memory (yes, I realize the irony)

Thanks!
Carlos

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Same result here 🙁

Some ideas for you to try, Carlos:

• Try some of the earlies releases of Obsessions Off-line. Earlier versions may be more "DOS-like" than 5.1.
  • See if you can use boot DOSBox into real MS-DOS (or FreeDOS). You need to read up on the imgmount. More info on here and at the DOSBox Wiki.
  • Ask the people behind Obsession if they know about DOSBox, and how it might be worth their effort to get their DOS-only software to work on WinNT/XP/2K via DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by carlosn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for taking the time to try this out, I appreciate the effort.

I tried using a true MS boot disk in DOSBox, and I get the error "program too large for memory" I think there may be some limitation to the DOS shell that the Windows based shell didn't have (or I did something wrong with my boot disks)

The vendor suggested I use VMWare, which currently has a free beta, so I guess that's the path I'll take.

Carlos

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
carlosn wrote:

I tried using a true MS boot disk in DOSBox, and I get the error "program too large for memory"

I got that error too (with standard DOSBox). I fixed it by changing memsize in dosbox.conf to 32 (default is 16 MB).

That MS-DOS diskette - did you have things like HIMEM.SYS EMM386.EXE installed in your CONFIG.SYS file? How much memory do the real MEM command report?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions