VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last week I got another 286 in the trash, this time with heavy battery leakage all over the place, including ISA slots. What would be the best and easiest way of cleaning this? I'm considering giving it a 100% vinegar bath, going over it with a toothbrush and washing everything up with lots of water.

It doesn't POST so might not even be worth cleaning.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vinegar + water is my preferred method as well , I wouldn't go 100% vinegar though - but that depends on how "strong" it is. If it's super-market grade then go for it but if it is home-made I'd use also 70% water tbh
I usually leave the parts in the solution for several hours, allowing the vinegar to do it's thing. But in cases of heavy corrosion it won't be enough, sockets/slots need replacing and tracks repairing after the bath.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 14, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

vinegar + water is my preferred method as well , I wouldn't go 100% vinegar though - but that depends on how "strong" it is. If it's super-market grade then go for it but if it is home-made I'd use also 70% water tbh
I usually leave the parts in the solution for several hours, allowing the vinegar to do it's thing. But in cases of heavy corrosion it won't be enough, sockets/slots need replacing and tracks repairing after the bath.

Do you just submerge the entire motherboard in the solution then let it dry out afterwards?
How long do you let it dry out?

Reply 5 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes, the whole board is submerged and everything that is socketed is removed prior to that.
As for drying I first use compressed air to get water out of holes/sockets and then leave the whole board under the sun for 4-5hrs just to be sure. Usually the whole board becomes very hot after 30-40mins so any moisture left just evaporizes. For more complex things I prefer to leave them overnight - just to be 101% sure there is no moisture left.

@Half-Saint
the board is not that bad, you might need to replace some sockets afterwards though ... I say vinegar it already! 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 14, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_1153.JPG
Filename
IMG_1153.JPG
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1154.JPG
Filename
IMG_1154.JPG
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

Do you folks think this one is savable?

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 7 of 14, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This should be handled like an arcade PCB, neutralize the battery damage first and then do resistance tests with a multimeter to look for broken traces. Always check what kind of battery did the damage, some are alkaline and some are acidic.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 9 of 14, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, just submerged the whole board in a 30% vinegar solution. The only problem is, it's gonna smell like pickled cucumbers because I used vinegar for pickling 😀

I don't intend to spend a lot of time on this and certainly won't be replacing any sockets. After I'm done cleaning things up, I'll check the traces. If it's worse than I think, I'll salvage what I can and bin it.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 14, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After about 2 and a half hours of sitting in vinegar, I gave it a good wash down with plenty of water. Blasted it with compressed air for good measure and now I'll leave it to try for 24 hours. I can already see one trace that's seriously damaged and potentially broken. Let's hope for the best.

Here it is all cleaned up. Let's hope it works!

DSC_0647 (5).JPG
Filename
DSC_0647 (5).JPG
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 14, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, it looks like the board doesn't work. It doesn't produce any beeps and there's no video output. However, keyboard LEDs light up when Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock keys are pressed. Interesting.

Any suggestions?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 12 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You would have to spend a day or more to get this working, and even then the corrosion will continue to eat away at the board.
It could have some of the through holes open circuit, and the area around the isa slot and cpu socket looks horrible.
If the board was worth $500 or so maybe worth it, but not in that condition.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13 of 14, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only other way to know for sure is to get a multimeter, set it for resistance testing (20k ohm works for me on mine) and see if the bad traces are truly disconnected.

As just a plain 286 board though, it doesn't sound like anything special. Is there anything useful on it? Now if this was a Neo Geo MVS board, that'd be worth trying to resurrect, or at least save for parts.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000