VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12601 of 52759, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

scratcher? wouldnt one much better wash the parts instead of scratching?

the ram amount is very low... windows 2000 would priobably like to have a little bit more?
are scsi zip drives faster? more reliable? bootable?
how many dual cpu machines you gonna buy? all of them? think youre chuck norris or what? 😁

it makes me think of my first dual cpu, it was a celeron433 or sth, everything was nice, just ide was too slow, and the responsiveness of windows with dual cpu made that even more visible 🙁

that case is nice, its a pity they stopped making them look kinda techy, like in 486 times

@lukeno94 swines not really lucky, swines only lucky until sausage

Reply 12602 of 52759, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
scratcher? wouldnt one much better wash the parts instead of scratching? […]
Show full quote

the ram amount is very low... windows 2000 would priobably like to have a little bit more?
are scsi zip drives faster? more reliable? bootable?
how many dual cpu machines you gonna buy? all of them? think youre chuck norris or what? 😁

it makes me think of my first dual cpu, it was a celeron433 or sth, everything was nice, just ide was too slow, and the responsiveness of windows with dual cpu made that even more visible 🙁

that case is nice, its a pity they stopped making them look kinda techy, like in 486 times

@lukeno94 swines not really lucky, swines only lucky until sausage

#1: Scratcher is a slang for a stratch-off lotto ticket. case in point: https://www.coloradolottery.com/en/games/scratch/ For the record it was a "Money... I'm home!"
#2: 256mb? Win2k would do ok with that in a server setting. The board will take 512mb dimms for 2gb total.
#3: No, no, yes. In a server setting IDE is bad, and scsi good. For a laundry list of reasons. Scsi zip drives are annoyingly expensive on epay.
#4: Defiantly every one I get my hands on. The case was worth $20. Everything else was icing on the cake. I've always had a thing for dual-cpu systems.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12603 of 52759, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

#1: Scratcher is a slang for a stratch-off lotto ticket. case in point: https://www.coloradolottery.com/en/games/scratch/ For the record it was a "Money... I'm home!"

i was foolin -.- how probable is winning those 20$ anyway?

luckybob wrote:

#2: 256mb? Win2k would do ok with that in a server setting. The board will take 512mb dimms for 2gb total.

but most 3dmarks and other stuff would probably want some more? you are going to make this baby sweat, aint you?

luckybob wrote:

#3: No, no, yes. In a server setting IDE is bad, and scsi good. For a laundry list of reasons. Scsi zip drives are annoyingly expensive on epay.

but since you keep winning i thought... :>
anyway i think scsi hard disk now cannot be bought as new, just refurbishd, right; so thats a no go for stability/data safety, still, access times on a 10k rpm disk are sweet compared to lame ide

luckybob wrote:

#4: Defiantly every one I get my hands on. The case was worth $20. Everything else was icing on the cake. I've always had a thing for dual-cpu systems.

same here in a way, its like ballz, usually theres 2 of em xD
sadly i dont have the money to spend;

Reply 12604 of 52759, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:

i was foolin -.- how probable is winning those 20$ anyway?

According to the website 1:540

I don't know what I will do with this board. Its not like i'm collecting them. I'm most likely going to put it up on ebay. I don't like keeping things for the sake of keeping them. So i might use the proceeds to buy something else I like.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12605 of 52759, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Didn't know that (VGA) - thanks :) I always wanted a GF 2 Ultra, but I think this model should OC to that level quite easily... […]
Show full quote

Didn't know that (VGA) - thanks 😀
I always wanted a GF 2 Ultra, but I think this model should OC to that level quite easily...

Here's exact auction I bought it from (it's from Poland's big auction portal) : LINK

Since you also own this card, can you tell me what that jumper near cooling fan does ?
Is it a On/Off switch for TV-Out/TV-In ?

Sorry but I checked mine today and it's a bit different. It is indeed model MS-8855 (GF2-TI 64MB DDR) instead of 8836, and only has a 7 pin TV-OUT with no jumpers at all on the board. It looks like this one:

fce1a5bc65bc16ab3def63c08b8951ba9c600112.jpg

Reply 12606 of 52759, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
mrau wrote:

Well, that is true to ServerSet III based chipsets, they have a really bad IDE controller rated at ATA-33, but it performs like PIO-Mode 4 with a peak transfer speed of 15.6 MB/s according to anandtech. Your Server has the Intel 440GX chipset which it's PIIX4E has better IDE performance than the higher performing ServerSet III chipset, although SCSI is still a must on server.

I own a dual Tualatin server based on the ServerWorks ServerSet III LE and when i tried with an IDE HDD, it performed really poor, even 4200 rpm laptop HDDs can outperform it, lucky i switched to an 10k rpm SCSI when i bought it (i got the Server without SCSI HDDs so yeah). With the SCSI HDD, the server went more responsive and faster. I have a thread about my dual Tualatin server: Old IBM xSeries 220 Dual Tualatin Server

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 12607 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Nvidia Quadro NVS290 pciex1 card and a Windows 7 keycode to upgrade an old Dell Dimension E310. 2gb of ram it should run Windows 10 32bit just fine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12608 of 52759, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

On my local craigslist, I saw someone selling a basic beige tower with internal parts for $20. I was intrigued. I looked at the crappy, low-res, blurry pictures and I instantly knew what it most likely was. I go pick it up, and my suspicions were right! It was a dual slot-1! YAY!

Don't discount that Sparkle PSU, which is quality, by the way--I would recap it as a precaution, but that's a great find.

Reply 12609 of 52759, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Bought a Nvidia Quadro NVS290 pciex1 card and a Windows 7 keycode to upgrade an old Dell Dimension E310. 2gb of ram it should run Windows 10 32bit just fine.

I bought a bunch of Quadro NVS 295s which come with two display ports for multi-monitor setups. Then about two months later Nvidia EOL them and I couldn't pair them with my GeForce 970 if I wanted newer drivers. 😒

Reply 12610 of 52759, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote:

I bought a bunch of Quadro NVS 295s which come with two display ports for multi-monitor setups. Then about two months later Nvidia EOL them and I couldn't pair them with my GeForce 970 if I wanted newer drivers. 😒

Ouch! Hope you did not spend to much on em.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12611 of 52759, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Ouch! Hope you did not spend to much on em.

They were used but the cost of buying several of them plus shipping, the DP cables, and then having to turn around and buy a newer NVS all adds up. None of the newer ones are passive and there aren't any which support the 1x connector. I was not happy.

Reply 12612 of 52759, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just agreed to buy a lot of 10 (!) AT cases from a local seller for about USD 8. I may have gone overboard this time as I don't need that many AT cases, but I couldn't resist that price. The seller claims they are in good condition, and the pictures don't show too much yellowing or missing covers.

Anyway, I hope at least one of them has a nice MHz display, that alone would make the purchase worth it! 😀

Reply 12613 of 52759, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought a 300 Watt PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool ATX PSU with 30A on the 5v rail, and a -5v rail for only $15 shipped. Says it was tested for proper voltage with a PSU tester and will be carefully packaged... that certainly gives me some confidence.

I have a huge 300 Watt AT Turbo Cool from PCP&C from the early 90s that still runs perfectly and is relatively quiet for such an old, high powered unit.

Its getting more difficult to find old PSUs with good specs. It was a bit disheartening to read recently that lots of the models I thought would be good ones to look for (like the original Antec True Power from ~2003... before the terrible Smart Power 2.0 series) ended up suffering from many capacitor failures over the years. PCP&C seems to have stayed fairly reliable though. I know that some people won't use anything more than 10 years old without replacing every single electrolytic cap, but I'd rather just use the things that aren't failure prone from the start.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12614 of 52759, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just bought a 300 Watt PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool ATX PSU with 30A on the 5v rail, and a -5v rail for only $15 shipped. Says it was tested for proper voltage with a PSU tester and will be carefully packaged... that certainly gives me some confidence.

I have a huge 300 Watt AT Turbo Cool from PCP&C from the early 90s that still runs perfectly and is relatively quiet for such an old, high powered unit.

Its getting more difficult to find old PSUs with good specs. It was a bit disheartening to read recently that lots of the models I thought would be good ones to look for (like the original Antec True Power from ~2003... before the terrible Smart Power 2.0 series) ended up suffering from many capacitor failures over the years. PCP&C seems to have stayed fairly reliable though. I know that some people won't use anything more than 10 years old without replacing every single electrolytic cap, but I'd rather just use the things that aren't failure prone from the start.

Just recap with modern caps and they will last for decades, there was very little from that period that isn't infested with those shitty caps.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12615 of 52759, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just recap with modern caps and they will last for decades, there was very little from that period that isn't infested with those shitty caps.

How long were the shitty caps going about?

Was there not a period too of around the late 90's into the 2000's?

I've stuff from the late 80's with caps that are still in spec!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 12616 of 52759, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crap caps from the early 2000s should've been all dead/blown off by now (or was it ten years ago).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12618 of 52759, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pojo wrote:

I bought a passive ISA backplane: http://www.advantech.com/products/1-fdfggk/pc … 9e-ff721863c9f6

Fingers crossed that it works with my 486 SBC. 😀

Just curious - how much was it? The website doesn't show a price. I recently bought a NOS 14-slot ISA backplane from ebay for about $30 including shipping. It's posted somewhere earlier in this thread I think.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O