VOGONS

First post, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

High,
I was doing research on the Roland mt-32, and I read that, due to lack of comunication between Roland and their lawyers, Roland never traidmarked or coppyrighted the ROMs of the mt-32. as a consequence, both the control and pcm ROMs of the mt-32 and cm-64/32 have been in the public domain all along, and are now legal to hoast on this site.
unfortunately, most sites on the internet seam to have no idea of this, as they are outright refusing to hoast these ROMs. as far as I know, the only way of getting them is through bit torent, which is an extremely touchy subject here on vogons.
Just wanted you to know

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 2 of 11, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know someone is gonna give me a nice wolf3d-style headshot for this, but this was on wikipedia's article on the mt32. the article even mentioned that ooland, to paraphrase, "failed to properly register the mt32 ROMs under the burn convention implementation act, which came into force on march 4, 1987." as any self respecting retro gamer can tell you, 1987 is when the first mt32 units shipped, so roland more than likely wasn't on the legal loop during development of the mt32.
(and yes, I know that wolf3d headshot joke is a bit irrelevent given ID software and pogee were among the few classic pc game developers to not support the mt32. I just felt bad about posting possibly original research without finding any legal evidence.)b

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 4 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, actually Wikipedia is far more accurate than what some seem to believe. It is heavily patrolled with automatic notifications to the administrators. Anything contested will be moved from the article for review. Edits made by those with an agenda or simple acts vandalism are corrected within minutes, especially for controversial topics. Several academic studies have found it to be as accurate as Britannica. One of the features to assure accuracy is citations. If a claim is made without proper citation it will be marked with a "[citation needed]" following a claim. This marks it for discussion and review.

The point being in relation to this is that that claim of being public domain is followed by the "[citation needed]" link, so the Wiki article itself cannot be used as a citation. Someone is going to have to do the legwork to provide a proper citation.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
autoexecdotbat wrote:

I know someone is gonna give me a nice wolf3d-style headshot for this, but this was on wikipedia's article on the mt32. the article even mentioned that ooland, to paraphrase, "failed to properly register the mt32 ROMs under the burn convention implementation act, which came into force on march 4, 1987." as any self respecting retro gamer can tell you, 1987 is when the first mt32 units shipped, so roland more than likely wasn't on the legal loop during development of the mt32.

As I recall, when MUNT first came on the scene, the question was still up in the air – as in, the ROMs would be illegal but only if it could be proven that the first board wasn't sold before such-and-such a date.

I got my hopes up when I saw the thread title that Roland (or whoever owns the rights nowadays) had officially, once and for all decreed that the ROMs were public domain. Oh well.

Reply 7 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

threads like these are why "abandonware" still exists 😒. because young folk are determined to own and relenquish the copyright (and "trademark" 🙄) status of everything they desire for free and mislead others from it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll never win your recurring crusade old man. 😎 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 9 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard this for years.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 10 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Unless this has been battled out in court *I* wouldn't bet my forum and finances on this wiki article

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wikipedia wrote:

Munt is based on an earlier MT-32 Emulation Project, which was the source of a short-lived legal squabble over distribution of the original ROM images with Roland Corporation, who manufactured the MT-32 and claims copyright on the ROM's data. It was subsequently proven that Roland Corporation had failed to properly register the MT-32's original ROM code in accordance with the Berne Convention Implementation Act, which came into force on March 1989. As such, the original ROM code of the MT-32 is in the public domain and can be freely used, distributed, and modified without the permission, express or implied, of the Roland Corporation.[citation needed]

There requires some nuance here, because the current Wikipedia text is not quite right. The Berne Convention does not require copyright notice or registration and Japan has been a signatory to Berne since 1899. Once Roland of Japan completed the code and data for the MT-32 in 1987, it was fixed and therefore protected by Japanese copyright.

The Berne Convention came into force in the United States on March 1, 1989, not 1987. When the United States entered into the Berne Convention in 1989, it no longer required notice or registration for copyrighted works in the U.S. or for foreign countries. However, any idea that means that its open season on pre-1989 works which did not comply with the notice and registration requirements is a myth thanks to the 1994 Uruguay Round Agreements Act.

The URAA allows for an owner to restore copyright in its work if the following four conditions are met :

U.S. Copyright Office Circular 38b wrote:
1. At the time the work was created, at least one author (or rightholder in the case of a sound recording) must have been a nati […]
Show full quote

1. At the time the work was created, at least one author (or rightholder in the
case of a sound recording) must have been a national or domiciliary of an
eligible source country. An eligible source country is a country, other than
the United States, that is a member of the WTO, a member of the Berne
Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, or subject to
a presidential proclamation restoring U.S. copyright protection to works of
that country on the basis of reciprocal treatment of the works of U.S. nationals
or domiciliaries.

2. The work is not in the public domain in the eligible source country through
expiration of the term of protection.

3. The work is in the public domain in the United States because it did not
comply with formalities imposed at any time by U.S. law, lacked subject
matter protection in the United States in the case of sound recordings fixed
before February 15, 1972, or lacked national eligibility in the United States.

4 If published, the work must have been first published in
an eligible country and not published in the United States
during the 30-day period following its first publication in
the eligible country

Roland can easily meet requirements 1 & 2. I can find no notice of copyright affixed to the computer code and data in the MT-32 or its manuals which encompass the copyright of the code and data (as opposed to the text of the manual, so let's assume Roland meets #3. It is #4 where I believe Roland had the difficulty. If Roland released the MT-32 in the U.S. within thirty days of its release in Japan, then it would fail to meet #4. Without meeting all four requirements, Roland cannot restore the copyright to the MT-32 code and data under the URAA.

Note that copyright registration has not been required to secure the protection of copyright, nor will failure to deposit a work with the Library of Congress eliminate copyright protection.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog