VOGONS

First post, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a computer sitting on the side of the road that had a 486 motherboard which is a SYL8884PCI-EI0 and a 486DX2/66
The board DOES work but had one of those leaky Varta batteries so I took it off and I was amazed how much acid did the battery leak oh god

Sadly yesterday after trying to desolder the old battery I broke a trace and I did fix it today with a wire but the problem still persists, the computer does no longer save the BIOS settings doesn't matter it is external or internal battery, I think that I screwed up u.u (I did try a CR2032 battery with some wires going to a 4 pin connector and did not work)

Here are the pics

803729708_21932.jpg
Filename
803729708_21932.jpg
File size
153.91 KiB
Views
File comment
The little acid leaking demon
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
803716738_60045.jpg
Filename
803716738_60045.jpg
File size
136.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Oh god, that corrosion
File license
803730599_21367.jpg
Filename
803730599_21367.jpg
File size
156.44 KiB
Views
File comment
The battery has been removed
File license
803712743_59558.jpg
Filename
803712743_59558.jpg
File size
119.55 KiB
Views
File comment
The trace that I broke yesterday
File license
803711886_59372.jpg
Filename
803711886_59372.jpg
File size
93.86 KiB
Views
File comment
AMI's strange WinBIOS that is programmed on the board, this was taken with the battery removed
File license
Last edited by Rodoko on 2016-07-22, 00:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think that there is much you can do apart from checking everything for continuity near the acid-affected area and fixing broken traces...

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 2 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just clean and treat the board so that it doesn't get worse, you may need to wire a battery or a pack to the pads where the old barrel of cancer once was. I have gotten lucky with my boards so far despite not having a battery installed that I can set things up save and then reboot going on as normal.

Just remember to use some vinegar and scrub to deactivate the acid then wash in warm water and soap. I often wash boards multiple times just to make sure that all the acid is gone and to remove any other grime that has stuck on over the years. Salvaged a few outdoors systems and got all kinds of stuff working over the years 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 9, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Just clean and treat the board so that it doesn't get worse, you may need to wire a battery or a pack to the pads where the old barrel of cancer once was. I have gotten lucky with my boards so far despite not having a battery installed that I can set things up save and then reboot going on as normal.

Just remember to use some vinegar and scrub to deactivate the acid then wash in warm water and soap. I often wash boards multiple times just to make sure that all the acid is gone and to remove any other grime that has stuck on over the years. Salvaged a few outdoors systems and got all kinds of stuff working over the years 😀

This! Taking care of the corrosion should be top priority, here. You could have all sorts of sporadic continuity faults with the corrosion in place.

Reply 4 of 9, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I did try taking the acid out with WD40 since is not conductive but I was with the fear of damaging a trace so, as of now I reused the case to hold a P233 MMX but I will see the next week if I can do what you guys suggest because I actually did build a battery with a CR2032 battery and some terminals to connect it to the external battery header and nothing and today I did fix the broken trace by soldering a wire to it and didn't save the settings and always tells me about the battery being low when is nothing connected to it u.u

And to be sincere, the floppy connector on the board is so full with acid that most of the contacts are blue, but as I said earlier I will try the vinegar and warm water method, because I never did this in my life

Reply 5 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vinegar and scrub like an old woman 🤣 its the only way to really save boards like this. If you go through no big deal as you can rebuild the trace, I've done this too although very poorly. Use some very very thin wire that isn't coated and solder the ends where the trace is good then seal it in place with something to keep it in place.

Some boards are anal like big government when there is no battery.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wanted to add that the blue stuff that leaks from those batteries is actually an alkaline substance, not acid like in cars, that's why an acid like vinegar is suggested to neutralize it. For that same reason it is important to fully clean the vinegar with water after you're done neutralizing the leak, if you leave some remains of vinegar it could generate another corrosion problem in the future... and your board will smell badly. 🤣

Reply 7 of 9, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Vinegar and scrub like an old woman 🤣 its the only way to really save boards like this. If you go through no big deal as you can rebuild the trace, I've done this too although very poorly. Use some very very thin wire that isn't coated and solder the ends where the trace is good then seal it in place with something to keep it in place.

I would use Kapton tape to seal those wires and traces. And if you're going to use a coated wire, use wire wrap wire.

Reply 8 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats into the traces now tho.. in a year youll find it creeping up in unknown places. once its between the layers, not much you can do

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 9, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well guys I did try to clean the board with vinegar and scrub and soap & warm water so now is drying on ambient temperature but I don't believe that I ruined the board

IMG_20160722_184410244.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160722_184410244.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20160722_185525402.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160722_185525402.jpg
File size