Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13080 of 52733, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

True, but there's a very easy-to-find driver that works with every single USB stick I've tried it with.

Which by definition is not native 😜.

Btw, been a user of Windows ME since roughly 2001 or so, ME isn't as crappy as the gossip girls may want you to believe.

Fyi, there are some interesting threads about ME (see my sig about interesting Vogons threads, it has many other useful links to threads here on Vogons as well).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13081 of 52733, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Boy, did I score today. 😁

Went over to the recycle center. They know me there, and are always very nice. They almost always have something in the realm of retro computers.
This time I checked their computer bin and I saw a LOT of ISA slots. Time to get to work! Found some Socket 7 MB's but I don't need those as I have some already.
Their bin is very large, and basically filled about halfway with random PC boards. You really have to dig to find stuff, and you get a lot of cuts and scrapes in the process 🤣

What I was specifically looking for was a better video card for my Socket 5 machine (I was thinking in my head: boy, it would be great if I found an S3 Trio64 or something... nah, that's never going to happen.)... let's see if I find it!

Here goes:

Some EDO RAM and a 256KB cache stick:

IMG_0249.JPG
Filename
IMG_0249.JPG
File size
541.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Some K6-II's. One 400MHz, three 500MHz.

IMG_0250.JPG
Filename
IMG_0250.JPG
File size
544.54 KiB
Views
File license

A PCMCIA CardBus ethernet card. Does anyone know it this has DOS drivers? I can't find drivers period, let alone DOS... 😒

IMG_0251.JPG
Filename
IMG_0251.JPG
File size
554.23 KiB
Views
File license

Some VLB VGA cards, one in much better shape than the other. Never seen one of these before... now we're talking! Now I just need a VLB motherboard... hmm. Keep digging!

IMG_0242.JPG
Filename
IMG_0242.JPG
File size
698.63 KiB
Views
File license

And here it is. The VLB 486DX Socket 3 motherboard which I assume those VLB cards came from. Nice. Can anyone tell me something about this MB? ...now if I could just find an ISA sound card...

IMG_0245.JPG
Filename
IMG_0245.JPG
File size
720.71 KiB
Views
File license

Have to make a second post since the attachment system won't let me upload any more. Coming soon: Part II!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13082 of 52733, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, here is the continuation:

Bingo! One Turtle Beach card. I'll start a separate thread about this one since it's kind of weird. Now wouldn't it be nice if I could find a PCI video card like I wanted...

IMG_0243.JPG
Filename
IMG_0243.JPG
File size
592.52 KiB
Views
File license

Here you go, one STB Horizon 64. May not use this but it will come in handy someday.

IMG_0241.JPG
Filename
IMG_0241.JPG
File size
762.64 KiB
Views
File license

And then I noticed this really strange board, what appears to be a single board computer... but I can't find a processor on it! I'll start a separate thread about this one too.

IMG_0236.JPG
Filename
IMG_0236.JPG
File size
765.35 KiB
Views
File license

And finally: One Diamond Stealth 64 T PCI (S3 Trio64 )!!!! I've been looking for one of these for quite some time for my Socket 5 build (right now it has a crappy Trident card). Better framerates, here we come!

IMG_0235.JPG
Filename
IMG_0235.JPG
File size
702.48 KiB
Views
File license

I also found two serial mice and one PS/2 mouse. And I found an AT keyboard which I'm going back for tomorrow since I forgot to add it to the pile 🤣

All this (plus my previous post) for $30 USD!

I'm rather happy right now 😀

Reply 13083 of 52733, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is awesome. Nice haul, keenermaster!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13084 of 52733, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
Boy, did I score today. :D […]
Show full quote

Boy, did I score today. 😁

Went over to the recycle center. They know me there, and are always very nice. They almost always have something in the realm of retro computers.
This time I checked their computer bin and I saw a LOT of ISA slots. Time to get to work! Found some Socket 7 MB's but I don't need those as I have some already.
Their bin is very large, and basically filled about halfway with random PC boards. You really have to dig to find stuff, and you get a lot of cuts and scrapes in the process 🤣

What I was specifically looking for was a better video card for my Socket 5 machine (I was thinking in my head: boy, it would be great if I found an S3 Trio64 or something... nah, that's never going to happen.)... let's see if I find it!

Here goes:

And here it is. The VLB 486DX Socket 3 motherboard which I assume those VLB cards came from. Nice. Can anyone tell me something about this MB? ...now if I could just find an ISA sound card...
file.php?id=26150&t=1

Lucky you!!! The recycling center I go to will NOT sell / give anything back to you. I can't tell you how many things I saw heading for a sad ending. Hell, I found a HP Vectra PSU that would fit my unit, but they wouldn't sell it back to me!

In regards to your Socket 3 VLB board, that is an EliteGroup UC-4913. I bought that exact same board a couple of weeks ago with a Cyrix FasCache S40 w/ FPU.

Manual can be found here: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/uc4913.htm

Reply 13087 of 52733, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

A PCMCIA CardBus ethernet card. Does anyone know it this has DOS drivers? I can't find drivers period, let alone DOS... 😒

unless theres many cards with that name there are drivers for linux, dos, 9x and nt till vista, without proper manual though

Reply 13088 of 52733, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Am I missing something?

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail … 80_TE100-PCBUSR

I couldn't find out what chipset it's based on, but it's obviously well supported. Manual attached.

VERY nice haul, mate, especially the VLB stuff.

Attachments

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 13089 of 52733, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

That is awesome. Nice haul, keenermaster!

Thanks 😀

Brickpad wrote:

Lucky you!!! The recycling center I go to will NOT sell / give anything back to you.

Well that's dumb. Why wouldn't they? I know my recycle center still makes money off of the stuff I buy. Some people are just stubborn, I guess.

Brickpad wrote:

In regards to your Socket 3 VLB board, that is an EliteGroup UC-4913. I bought that exact same board a couple of weeks ago with a Cyrix FasCache S40 w/ FPU.

Manual can be found here: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/ ... uc4913.htm

Oooo! Thanks! I'm testing it today, just as soon as I can replace my AT PSU that conked.

oeuvre wrote:

Damn those are quite nice! I am expecting a nice 486 build in your future.

RacoonRider wrote:

I see a 486 VBL in your future

🤣 Yeah, I think so... maybe a little further in the future though, since I'm headed to college in two weeks and only have room for a laptop. Next summer - the summer of the VLB (evil laughter) 😈

mrau wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

unless theres many cards with that name there are drivers for linux, dos, 9x and nt till vista, without proper manual though

brassicGamer wrote:
Am I missing something? […]
Show full quote
keenmaster486 wrote:

Am I missing something?

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail … 80_TE100-PCBUSR

I couldn't find out what chipset it's based on, but it's obviously well supported. Manual attached.

VERY nice haul, mate, especially the VLB stuff.

Hm. What you're missing is that I'm a doofus 🤣 I couldn't find that for some reason; I bet it was right in front of my nose and I just didn't see it. Thanks! I see drivers for DOS and Win9x there, which is exactly what I need.

Reply 13090 of 52733, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few days ago I went to pickup a CGA monitor advertised locally. Turns out the guy was working in IT in the '80s and hoarded crazy amounts of stuff... intending to resell it originally, but he never did. As well as the monitor I ended up buying a whole box of motherboards from him, a few 5.25" drives and a couple of old HDDs, and a few video cards for what I thought was a very reasonable price. I was very excited at first but upon closer inspection it looks like a lot of them have missing modules and most have battery leakage. Maybe I only got junk 😕

The boards are mostly 286 with some 386 and the odd XT. I don't really know what I'm going to do yet with the lot - please tell me if you can see anything worth saving, are there are any special boards? To me it seems like the 286-25 might be the most interesting one but there might be others.

Here are the boards (there are 23 of them in total - sorry for the wall of pics!)
-
NGCzA0Rl.jpg?1
-
phiqCCol.jpg?1
-
rpnTHdNl.jpg?2
-
vCMN5apl.jpg?2
-
v1OYmntl.jpg?3
-
Klrzi9Vl.jpg?1
-
06xw3pWl.jpg?2
-
NgL4J3gl.jpg?1
-
LiIPuvol.jpg?2
-
4LiDkBwl.jpg?1
-
wwZkGDAl.jpg?2
-
SXm9F2yl.jpg?2
-
SvLjpV6l.jpg?1
-
8hF8r0al.jpg?1
-
vjqNsGZl.jpg?2
-
Vh0J3oDl.jpg?2
-
y941kzvl.jpg?2
-
bxUx6zvl.jpg?2
-
Uot6fLjl.jpg?2
-
e8RECPvl.jpg?1
-
6n2FnpLl.jpg?2
-
5LtgcFEl.jpg?2
-
1Ox2Dktl.jpg?2

Here is a link to the album on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/mkM67

Last edited by MMaximus on 2016-07-29, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13092 of 52733, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like you got the entire TH99 inventory here 😁

Just save everything.

And do remove those barrel batteries.

And heck, never seen RAM slots fitted in between ISA slots before...or anything like it.

And that Peanut ISA VGA card...does it actually have 2 VGA connectors?

edit: The last pic (the little black 8-bit ISA card) looks familiar, I might actually have that exact card. Iirc it wasn't VGA but had a port resembling serial and was some kind of token ring adapter? Still looks pretty neat though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 13093 of 52733, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got 18 of these NOS NIB for 40 bucks. PowerColor GameFX Radeon 7000 32MB PCI.

Attachments

• 20160729_124334.jpg
    Filename
    20160729_124334.jpg
    File size
    4.05 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13094 of 52733, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn..... That's a lot of AT stuff here.... Congrats to everyone that has gotten some sweet hardware.
I simply can not decide what is the most awesomme item of them all. Pre-P1 are just too awesomme.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13095 of 52733, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Looks like you got the entire TH99 inventory here :D […]
Show full quote

Just save everything.

And heck, never seen RAM slots fitted in between ISA slots before...or anything like it.

edit: The last pic (the little black 8-bit ISA card) looks familiar, I might actually have that exact card. Iirc it wasn't VGA but had a port resembling serial and was some kind of token ring adapter? Still looks pretty neat though.

I've just removed the battery from the 286-25 board and cleaned the area with vinegar and water, the corrosion is a bit scary but maybe it still works - I need to test it but I don't have a spare PSU so I have to remove one from a machine which is always a pain.

I tested the Peanut VGA and it works, the second connector is DB9 so most likely EGA. I've tried to locate the manual online for info about the dip switches with no success 😐

I asked the seller to include that weird dark grey card in the lot because I thought it was an EGA card, but it turned out to be a token ring adapter which I have absolutely no use for. But I agree, it looks nice 😀 I think it's an IBM part.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13096 of 52733, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an awesome haul MMaximus! 😲

Tetrium wrote:

That looks like after finalizing the design of the board the engineers looked at it and realized: "Sh*t, we forgot the RAM slots! Let's just put them wherever they fit" 😁

Reply 13097 of 52733, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

You know the saying... You can never have enough Radeon 7000 PCI cards... 🤣

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 13098 of 52733, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

Yup, I remember grampa telling me that all the time when I was a kid. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13099 of 52733, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:
I've just removed the battery from the 286-25 board and cleaned the area with vinegar and water, the corrosion is a bit scary bu […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Looks like you got the entire TH99 inventory here :D […]
Show full quote

Just save everything.

I've just removed the battery from the 286-25 board and cleaned the area with vinegar and water, the corrosion is a bit scary but maybe it still works - I need to test it but I don't have a spare PSU so I have to remove one from a machine which is always a pain.

I tested the Peanut VGA and it works, the second connector is DB9 so most likely EGA. I've tried to locate the manual online for info about the dip switches with no success 😐

I asked the seller to include that weird dark grey card in the lot because I thought it was an EGA card, but it turned out to be a token ring adapter which I have absolutely no use for. But I agree, it looks nice 😀 I think it's an IBM part.

Iirc it was indeed an IBM card and I at first thought it was some kind of strange video display adapter.

I'd suggest you first remove all of the barrel batteries and clean all of the boards afterwards and only then do any of the other stuff like indexing and testing etc.

I haven't taken a very good look at each individual board, but there's certainly interesting ones in your stash now! 😁

The 5.25in floppy drives are very nice, especially the black one...must've been foresight 😜

I do see many boards are kinda clean...in that there are no cache chips etc.

There's a smallish 286 board in there with SIMM slots and a Harris-25, not bad at all!
I can't make out the CPU in your first board.

Most seem like they will fit a standard AT case and are worth keeping imo.

You've gotten an awfully good lot over there, well done! 😁

TheMobRules wrote:

That's an awesome haul MMaximus! 😲

Tetrium wrote:

That looks like after finalizing the design of the board the engineers looked at it and realized: "Sh*t, we forgot the RAM slots! Let's just put them wherever they fit" 😁

lmao!

Owkay buys, lets start her up, time is money!

Sir...sir.. (pokes into boss's side with elbow in gentle way) I think we may have forgotten something???
What the hell do you mean, boy? Don't you think....ehm...(elbows employee back)...fix it...you got 5 minutes to come up with a solution or you're fired.

and the rest is history 😀

clueless1 wrote:
foey wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

Yup, I remember grampa telling me that all the time when I was a kid. 🤣.

🤣! I'm pretty sure there's more Vogoners who enjoy buying in bulk 😊

Report spammers here!