Rank
l33t

There's a similar thread on the PCKF; I thought I'd start one here 😀

I'll start:

Ola Gjeilo - Ubi Caritas
Nickel Creek - When You Come Back Down
Mr. Mister - Kyrie, Is It Love
Don Henley & Bruce Hornsby - End of the Innnocence

Just a few, of course that's not ALL the music I'm interested in... how about anyone else?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 404, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I generally don't listen to music unless that is all I am doing (listening for pleasure). I cannot listen to music while doing anything else because my brain tends to focus so much on the tune or lyrics that it distracts me from accomplishing anything else. Usually, though, I will have retro game music stuck in my head from the night before. 🤣. Right now it's the Betrayal at Krondor theme.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 404, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As soon as Australia got YouTube Red I cancelled my Spotify subscription, because YouTube Red comes with Google Play Music. I just tune in to one of the ready-to-go playlists and I'm happy 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 404, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

my brain tends to focus so much on the tune or lyrics

Similar here. I usually listen to instrumental music or soundtracks when working because the lyrics distract me and make me work slower.

What I listen to actually depends on the kind of work I'm trying to do...
Programming : Philip Glass, Terry Riley, Steve Reich etc. Minimalism works for me!
Writing : Soundtracks (game, film, etc.)
Animation : This song, This one or this one or something similarly upbeat but soft to the ear.
Video Editing : Mostly this one. I need to hear the video I'm editing. The deep sound allows this.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 4 of 404, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently listening to The Vamp by Jiro Inagaki, on JBL 120Ti loudspeakers and Yamaha RX-V633 AV receiver in pure direct mode. My Sansui AU-7900 actually sounds better --much better, especially when driving the 120Ti's titanium dome tweeter. Alas, the Sui hasn't been restored yet. 🙁

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-Sansui-AU-7900.jpg
My Sansui AU-7900 when it drove JBL 120Tis. The speakers were in front of me, across my desk, while the amplifier was behind my head.

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-Sansui-AU-7900-Herbie-Hancock.jpg
The AU-7900 really makes this album sing...

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-Sansui-AU-7900-Puya.jpg
....and this one too!

Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman-B-W-DM302-driven-by-Sansui-AU-7900.jpg
Now it drives the hitherto difficult-to-drive B&W DM302.

EDIT: added some pics of the said AU-7900.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2020-05-13, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 404, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Currently listening to The Vamp by Jiro Inagaki, on JBL 120Ti loudspeakers and Yamaha RX-V633 AV receiver in pure direct mode. My Sansui AU-7900 actually sounds better --much better, especially when driving the 120Ti's titanium dome tweeter. Alas, the Sui hasn't been restored yet. 🙁

Nice! Those older Sansui receivers are pure awesome. Hope you get it back up and running soon.

I'm listening to Sade - Somebody Already Broke My Heart on my new and improved home theater system. I upgraded the receiver and main speakers two weeks ago. The only items that are the same as before are the TV, HTPC, and subwoofers.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6200W (a brand new receiver that's actually made in Japan!)
Speakers: 7x Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy monitors (these are so much better than my previous Klipsch speakers)
Subwoofers: 2x SVS PC12-Plus handling the 16-60Hz range
Source: HTPC (FLAC)

The gobs of smooth, clean bass in this Sade album is just insane. I'm feeling it through my entire body. The subs just blend so well with the Philharmonic monitors...they sound like a natural extension of the main speakers. It's crazy. I can't even count how many eargasms I've had in the past two weeks. 😀

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 7 of 404, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive been working on my year 99' machine and I put 90's music on it, I feel like im in the 90's again.... 😊

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 8 of 404, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Nice! Those older Sansui receivers are pure awesome. Hope you get it back up and running soon.

Thanks, I hope so. 😀

1173732_10202280575722287_1914512727_n.jpg?oh=3d557b7963fff3e38c631a7a1641fdfc&oe=581BD8E3

I just need a complete list of capacitors used by the Sui, then I'll start shopping.

Standard Def Steve wrote:
I'm listening to Sade - Somebody Already Broke My Heart on my new and improved home theater system. I upgraded the receiver and […]
Show full quote

I'm listening to Sade - Somebody Already Broke My Heart on my new and improved home theater system. I upgraded the receiver and main speakers two weeks ago. The only items that are the same as before are the TV, HTPC, and subwoofers.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6200W (a brand new receiver that's actually made in Japan!)
Speakers: 7x Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy monitors (these are so much better than my previous Klipsch speakers)
Subwoofers: 2x SVS PC12-Plus handling the 16-60Hz range
Source: HTPC (FLAC)

The gobs of smooth, clean bass in this Sade album is just insane. I'm feeling it through my entire body. The subs just blend so well with the Philharmonic monitors...they sound like a natural extension of the main speakers. It's crazy. I can't even count how many eargasms I've had in the past two weeks. 😀

So, you too, are listening to surround music. Me, I'm going to do the same after my AU-7900 is repaired, and after I find a good, sound-matching 3 channel power amplifier for my front L-C-R. Either that, or a sound-matching stereo amp like Sansui BA-2000 with passive Hafler/Dynaco circuit to drive the center channel.

Most audiophiles eschew surround music. Nah, not me. I like surround music, as long as it's ambience extractor instead of ambience generator. I'm not saying DPL is bad, but it has its own place (games and movies).

Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Ive been working on my year 99' machine and I put 90's music on it, I feel like im in the 90's again.... 😊

I always listen to 80's music whenever I play this game.

13082780_10209595258544786_7453452000117084980_n.jpg?oh=e70ebdc4ccf7fafdc6c883693b729a07&oe=58317486

Not sure why, but F-16 seems sooooo 80's to me.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 404, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been going through yet another Grandaddy phase lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqZc8pNz-4

And my daughter has been going through a Michael Jackson phase so indirectly I've been listening to a lot of Smooth Criminal too 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 404, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am a metal guy, the good 80/90s stuff mostly.

Nowdays I am too bored to mess with mp3s/playlists so for background music I listen to this most of the time - especially when I mess with old computers/cosnoles: http://www.classic-videogames.de/radio , else it's this http://www.rockradio1.com 😀
Both great stations without crap 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 404, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I listen to tracker based music of various styles. I also like ambient music like Quake's soundtrack and Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works vol.2".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 404, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little bit of everything. I have a love for electronica in most of its uptempo forms, from rave/acid house to 90s cheesy eurodance to trance. My favourite genres are 90s goa trance, full-on and progressive psytrance and Greek uplifting trance (I actually try to be an active part of this small community over here, with some local events and track production <shameless_plug>see sig</shameless_plug>!). Wouldn't say no to ambient, chillout, psybient or generic downtempo, as long as it has "character" and it's not made of some random drone pads. I find techno and minimal too repetitive for my taste and dubstep a bit boring, though I like drum and bass and older jungle/breakbeat music. Pretty much love the sound of Amiga four-track modules, several chiptunes as well. Love certain old game themes, like the one in Killer Instinct, OMF2097 intro, DN3D Grabbag, Lotus 2-3 intros, Rom Di Prisco's excllent NFS2SE main menu theme, however haven't listened (at least not consciously) to game OSTs since 2004-5. Visit ocremix a lot, some excellent reworks (but also lots of crap too). I also like 80s-90s pop, italodisco, greek cult/"trash" hits, the cheesier the better 🤣 Rock isn't my cup of tea, neither are metal's brutal vocals, however I do like some female-fronted symphonic rock/metal bands.

Ok, I do listen to a lot of crap which shouldn't even be called "music" 🤣 , but I believe one shouldn't stick to just one genre and reject everything else immediately. Plus, I do believe that my love for electronica comes from me absolutely falling in love with various Amiga/DOS game themes/cracktro music early in my life.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 15 of 404, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dr. Hook - In Over My Head currently playing.

So, you too, are listening to surround music. Me, I'm going to do the same after my AU-7900 is repaired, and after I find a good, sound-matching 3 channel power amplifier for my front L-C-R. Either that, or a sound-matching stereo amp like Sansui BA-2000 with passive Hafler/Dynaco circuit to drive the center channel.

Most audiophiles eschew surround music. Nah, not me. I like surround music, as long as it's ambience extractor instead of ambience generator. I'm not saying DPL is bad, but it has its own place (games and movies).

I actually just use the front L+R speakers (and subs) for music. I only engage all seven when I'm watching movies. 😀

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 16 of 404, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently nothing at the moment, but my tastes are pretty eclectic. I do tend to gravitate towards music with a punk or metal influence however, and I consider industrial rock to be my favorite genre overall.

Right now I've got this stuck in my head: Deftones - Elite

Somehow I have a feeling that I'm one of the only people here who's into Deftones. 🤣

Reply 19 of 404, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, little bit of everything!

In my vinyl collection there is a lot of stuff from the early 70s thru early 80s. Kiss, Queen, Billy Joel, Sherbet, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Christopher Cross, Rod Stewart, etc.

While driving, I usually just listen to ABC Classic FM (it's free and has no ads), or occasionally I'll connect my phone and listen to something random I've had on the brain, which could be anything from metal, old school rock, ambient/chillout, house, euro-beat, 80s pop, RnB, jazz... I have playlists I've built up for each category, so just stick one of them on shuffle.

I used to be HUUUUUUUGE into listening to game music and chiptunes, but kinda left that behind for now. I may get back into it in the future, now that I watch a lot of MUGEN on Salty Bet, which plays lots of anime and game music.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread