VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 44, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After seeing Techmoan's video on cassette tapes, I have picked up a renewed interest in the format despite its flaws. Ended up getting a Sony TC-WR645S deck with the almighty Dolby S noise reduction on eBay and while it is not a Nakimichi Dragon, it still packs a solid punch. I know tapes are crap compared to vinyl and even CDs, but like a good floppy disk, it just has this interesting feel to it that is hard to describe.

Also not a MAJOR tape collector and never will be, but I listen to a lot of retro/synthwave artists and other assorted electronic ones that have released their music on tapes on Bandcamp, so it is great to have the tech to listen to those with good sound.

Reply 22 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread got me thinking about what an important thing music used to be in my life, and that one day maybe I will want to pull my old tapes / records / CDs out of storage and play them again, but on what? So I hit up eBay and found this NOS Sharp system selling locally which covered all my bases. The seller was an audio shop in the posh part of town, and they explained that when the local rich folks kick the bucket then their kids often bring in nice stuff for them to sell on. The original receipt was provided with the system – someone paid 700 bucks for it back in ’93 and then never got around to using it!

My only problem now is where to set it up - it's pretty bloody big!

P1020412_zpsaxuqdjpj.jpg

P1020416_zpskuanoxbc.jpg

P1020417_zpsmvvfaofa.jpg

P1020423_zpsxzyly8ip.jpg

P1020427_zpsvezpzesi.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 27 of 44, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing the feet that make it look like separate components, but aren't.

These Sharp systems aren't that great, to be honest. I personally would invest in better speakers.

I recently got a Grundig Fine Arts double tape deck from a friend. Though the single, non-auto reverse tape decks are supposed to be higher quality, I adore the late double decks loaded with every conceivable feature!

I have no use for it at the moment, so I installed it in my sons stereo for the time being - he loves all things technical:

2016-07-23 12.34.11.jpg
Filename
2016-07-23 12.34.11.jpg
File size
81.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:

I'm guessing the feet that make it look like separate components, but aren't.

These Sharp systems aren't that great, to be honest. I personally would invest in better speakers.

Precisely, the fake feet. Hard to say regarding audio quality. I can't find any specs on that system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Precisely, the fake feet. Hard to say regarding audio quality. I can't find any specs on that system.

Haha yeah I'm under no illusions that this is an audiophile level system! We have a yamaha / dali system set up in the lounge if I want to rock the block, this guy is pure nostalgia 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 30 of 44, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

These are known as BPC (Black Plastic Crap). 🤣 But it's still cool to find this kind of unused set. I'm sure it's fine for its intended use.

Reply 33 of 44, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Funny. Just saw this thread now. Earlier today when cleaning out old stuff from upstairs and i found a cassette. Curious what was on it i got out to my 2001 Volvo V70 that has a CD and Cassette combo carstereo. I havent played a cassette for a decade and never in this car! First tune on side A was Bon Jovi sat there and pressed next track. What?! Did cassetteplayers had that function? Didnt remember that, but anyway it didnt find any gap and i just skipped around on the memorylane. Just suddenly a dj talked and said i was listening to Voice of America Europe. Is that station still around? Have no clue when i recorded this.

Reply 35 of 44, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Yeah, VOA is still there, you can listen to it on shortwave.

Ok. This was FM stereo and probably from cable. Must be from the early 90s 😊
Soon FM radio are closed down in favour for DAB in Norway as the only country in the world. Must dig up more cassettes and CDs for driving then. Buyed a DAB adapter, but signals are too weak in my area 😵

Reply 36 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Yeah, VOA is still there, you can listen to it on shortwave.

Or stream it. Same with Deutsche Welle, RFI, BBC World Service, etc.

Reply 38 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The three head deck allows you to record and preview simultaneously, so you can monitor exactly what's being recorded as it goes on tape. Definitely a keeper, unless you've got another superior deck and are short on space.

That tuner is pretty schmick, too. The pictures are not sufficiently detailed to tell, but does it feature 3 or 5 pin din connectors for the inputs?

Reply 39 of 44, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely keep, why are you even asking?

Build quality and nostalgia, I'd say...

What's the purpose of the display on the Saba?

badmojo wrote:

Well I put up a shelf for my BPC in my man cave and think it looks and sounds superb 😀

Looks great, escpecially combined with the C64! Though a 386 or early 486 system would be more appropriate 🤣