VOGONS

DOSBox console mode.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would be nice if DOSBox had a "console" mode. So you don't have to be in a GUI to use it.

Reply 1 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ignatius wrote:

It would be nice if DOSBox had a "console" mode. So you don't have to be in a GUI to use it.

The source is available to everyone, so if that's what you want, you'd better get to it. 😵

It is currently possible to run DOSBox without a window if you specify all the commands you need in advance, either on the command line or in the [autoexec] section of DOSBox.conf.

Reply 2 of 39, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
ignatius wrote:

The source is available to everyone, so if that's what you want, you'd better get to it. 😵

It is currently possible to run DOSBox without a window if you specify all the commands you need in advance, either on the command line or in the [autoexec] section of DOSBox.conf.

^^ This
Welcome ignatius
See you around!!

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 3 of 39, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It HAS a console mode. In fact, it emulates a DOS computer, so you can use DOS commands to install and run games.

I guess you're using some front end to DOSBox (maybe because you've downloaded a compilation that includes a front end). Front ends are used because:
- Some users have forgotten how to use DOS (or never used it and they only want to launch the game).
- Some games need specific configuration, or because that way is easier to change between EMS/XMS/processor/sound/graphic configuration

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 39, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:
It HAS a console mode. In fact, it emulates a DOS computer, so you can use DOS commands to install and run games. […]
Show full quote

It HAS a console mode. In fact, it emulates a DOS computer, so you can use DOS commands to install and run games.

I guess you're using some front end to DOSBox (maybe because you've downloaded a compilation that includes a front end). Front ends are used because:
- Some users have forgotten how to use DOS (or never used it and they only want to launch the game).
- Some games need specific configuration, or because that way is easier to change between EMS/XMS/processor/sound/graphic configuration

So, I would run command(s) like this:

dosbox -c "command1" -c "command2" -c "command3"

Correct?

Thanks,
ignatius

Reply 12 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you have to use the location inside dosbox.
Your are using the location using your OS paths. Or is it really at

c:\home\imp\util\home\imp\imp\pol.bat

?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 39, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:
you have to use the location inside dosbox. Your are using the location using your OS paths. Or is it really at […]
Show full quote

you have to use the location inside dosbox.
Your are using the location using your OS paths. Or is it really at

c:\home\imp\util\home\imp\imp\pol.bat

?

No. That is the correct path name.

Thanks,
ignatius

Reply 15 of 39, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, in that case you're not mounting the right directory. You would need

dosbox -c "mount c /home/imp/util" -c "c:" -c "call \\home\\imp\\imp\\poll.bat" -c "exit"

I'm not sure what you're expecting "path" to do.

No. POLL.BAT requires that the full path is intact. Hence the c: drive needs to be set to "/" (root). The program that POLL.BAT calls has a data file that requires that path.
You are right about about the path statement, however. It isn't needed.

Thanks,
ignatius

Reply 16 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ignatius wrote:

No. POLL.BAT requires that the full path is intact. Hence the c: drive needs to be set to "/" (root). The program that POLL.BAT calls has a data file that requires that path.

Then the filename is incorrect. In case it's not clear, all paths in DOSBox are relative to whatever drives you have mounted. You need

dosbox -c "mount c /" -c "c:" -c "call \\home\\imp\\util\\\home\\imp\\imp\\poll.bat" -c "exit"

Alternatively, perhaps you mean

dosbox -c "mount c /home/imp/util" -c "c:" -c "cd \\home\\imp\\imp" -c "call poll.bat" -c "exit"

Thanks,
ignatius

(In case you haven't noticed, no one else is doing this. We can all see your name to the left of your posts.)

Reply 17 of 39, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Then the filename is incorrect. In case it's not clear, all paths in DOSBox are relative to whatever drives you have mounted. Y […]
Show full quote
ignatius wrote:

Then the filename is incorrect. In case it's not clear, all paths in DOSBox are relative to whatever drives you have mounted. You need

dosbox -c "mount c /" -c "c:" -c "call \\home\\imp\\util\\\home\\imp\\imp\\poll.bat" -c "exit"

Alternatively, perhaps you mean

dosbox -c "mount c /home/imp/util" -c "c:" -c "cd \\home\\imp\\imp" -c "call poll.bat" -c "exit"

Thanks,
ignatius

(In case you haven't noticed, no one else is doing this. We can all see your name to the left of your posts.)

Like i've said,

dosbox -c "mount c /home/imp/util" -c "c:" -c "call \\home\\imp\\imp\\poll.bat" -c "exit"

Works fine under X. It just doesn't execute on the command line.

Reply 19 of 39, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, now we're getting somewhere.

You need to set the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dummy before starting DOSBox. In Linux, I think the command is "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dummy".

Thanks for that. But i'm still having issues. We're getting closer, though.

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /root/.dosbox/dosbox-SVN.conf
Exit to error: Could not initialize video: Couldn't set console screen info