VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I been doing some thinking about raid with newer sata 3 ssd's in older systems with sata 1, a pci sata card or sata to pata convertor.

Would raid 0 speed up the drive's read wright on such a setup? and would raid 1 slow the drives down?
My thoughts are that the drives speed, if impacted, would be so little that you'd only see them on benchmarks when comparing raid 1 to 0.
Such setup would bottle neck a sata 3 ssd to such a extent that nothing you do will speed up or slow down the drives to a noticeable point.

What are your thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first thought if using a SATA1 interface is the RAID0 would saturate the interface. I'd rather run RAID1 in that setup if redundancy is important. These days, though, unless it's a 24/7 server, I wouldn't recommend RAID at all due to complexity. Just have a solid backup plan and if anything, store the 2nd SSD as an emergency spare to restore to if need be.

Especially on a retro system, there will be bottlenecks *somewhere* that keep a RAID SSD setup from making sense. Just my opinion, though.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Total waste. You are going to be limited by the pci bus. In old systems thats ~100mb/s on a good day. I have a P4 xeon server wirh pci-e and the bottleneck is the ethernet, even running 4 in parallel. The raid setup i have is capable of 1.2gb/s reads, and that is with slow 5400rpm drives.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 4, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How old are the systems you're wanting to do this with? RAID with SSDs via PCI will most likely max out the PCI bus, regardless of the SSD setup or controller card. You'll get way more performance with a PCIe controller, if the system supports PCIe.