PCI-E soundcards with FM chip?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Ace tried to get FM working on his/her PCIe CMI8738-LX without much success: I've got the OPL3 synth from a CMI8738 working in Windows 7 x64

I never updated how things went with FM on the CMI8738-LX over PCI Express, but I have something planned to show the end result on my YouTube channel by either the end of the month or early in September. Hint hint.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 21 of 25, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Like I said, the necessity for VGA to remain compatible is the reason that it HAS remained compatible.

My point is that it *has* remained compatible. So apparently it is technically possible to retain compatibility despite the ever-changing buses and chipsets.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

I said "it is up to the people that make the hardware to determine if this kind of thing is possible"
I never said it was technically impossible.

You can see how this statement could be read as it being technically impossible, right? Why would you use the word 'determine'? If it's technically possible, nothing needs to be 'determined'. You know it's possible, you just need to make the hardware.
Besides, it's not up to the people who make the hardware to determine what's possible. What's possible is already determined by the people who drew up the PCI-e bus and related standards.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 22 of 25, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ace wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Ace tried to get FM working on his/her PCIe CMI8738-LX without much success: I've got the OPL3 synth from a CMI8738 working in Windows 7 x64

I never updated how things went with FM on the CMI8738-LX over PCI Express, but I have something planned to show the end result on my YouTube channel by either the end of the month or early in September. Hint hint.

Looking forward to it. 😀

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 25, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
My point is that it *has* remained compatible. So apparently it is technically possible to retain compatibility despite the ever […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Like I said, the necessity for VGA to remain compatible is the reason that it HAS remained compatible.

My point is that it *has* remained compatible. So apparently it is technically possible to retain compatibility despite the ever-changing buses and chipsets.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

I said "it is up to the people that make the hardware to determine if this kind of thing is possible"
I never said it was technically impossible.

You can see how this statement could be read as it being technically impossible, right? Why would you use the word 'determine'? If it's technically possible, nothing needs to be 'determined'. You know it's possible, you just need to make the hardware.
Besides, it's not up to the people who make the hardware to determine what's possible. What's possible is already determined by the people who drew up the PCI-e bus and related standards.

Okay, I don't even know what we're arguing about at this point, so I'm going to just say "okay" and move on with my day. Have a good one. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24 of 25, by Methanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ace wrote on 2016-08-26, 15:25:
Kamerat wrote:

Hi, I looked on your YT channel and couldn't find this... I am VERY curious to know if I can get a CMI8738 PCIE card to work with Win98. Parts are on their way for other projects but would be great if I could run Win98 on them also.

Reply 25 of 25, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Methanoid wrote on 2020-05-06, 15:55:

Hi, I looked on your YT channel and couldn't find this... I am VERY curious to know if I can get a CMI8738 PCIE card to work with Win98. Parts are on their way for other projects but would be great if I could run Win98 on them also.

If you want to use the FM synth of the CMI8738 over PCIe you have to use the I/O addresses for the PCI device (PCI base address +50h). If your PCI base address of the CMI8738 is 3000h then the FM synth will be at 3050h. You can have a look at my video where I'm accessing the FM synth of a CMI8738 from a virtual machine using this method. For MS-DOS you can use a tool called RemapCMI for mapping the FM synth to port 388h.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel