Common searches

Guess the game!!

Topic actions

Reply 982 of 1640, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...and just as I was going "meh, Frogger the PC Booter from 1983" being surprised by the unusual simplicity of your post, I gave the screen a second look. It is slightly different and now I have to look at all froggers from 1984 😁

Edit: OK, that was easy. It's its kid, Frogger Jr.

Reply 984 of 1640, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's also known as 'Hopper' and 'Frog', and possibly other titles. But it's one of those BASIC games that any kid back then could've "modded" their names into (see Caverns of Gink vs. Caverns of Bob!), so the "real" name could be anyone's guess. 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 985 of 1640, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope it's not those either. though the signature on the screen is a clue to what version it can be (it does have different sounds and a noisy text title screen).

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up? 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 986 of 1640, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Image search led me to Ribit...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 988 of 1640, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to give warning about it from Die Höhlenwelt Saga a few pages back. But I took it out. Then Toonstruck was the same.

(Please do an image search test before you upload the image.) 😀

Pass to the last first guesser, I guess.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 990 of 1640, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't see in the first post rules that image searching was against the rules...is it? Other question: is it okay to post a crop of a full screenshot (as gerwin did to cut out clues that make it too easy). I can think of many easy games that would be made more challenging to guess if the image posted is just a portion of the full-screen image. 😀 But often things like the UI give it away even if what's showing in the player view window is less obvious.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 991 of 1640, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We've done a fair bit of cropping already, so I see no problem. I had to crop a screenshot of Modem-3D because the title was right on the top. You should probably let us know if you've cropped a screenshot, though.

Reply 992 of 1640, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I didn't see in the first post rules that image searching was against the rules...is it? Other question: is it okay to post a crop of a full screenshot (as gerwin did to cut out clues that make it too easy). I can think of many easy games that would be made more challenging to guess if the image posted is just a portion of the full-screen image. 😀 But often things like the UI give it away even if what's showing in the player view window is less obvious.

I'm good with google image search. How are you supposed to "guess" a game, brute-force all possible titles?
About cropping, for me at least, it still seems fair if it's mentioned. Cropping UI is a bit too much (not my rules anyway, just my personal view) but removing a title is already done a lot and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Reply 993 of 1640, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would rather guess a game that I'd heard of, but was harder to guess because some UI elements were not in the photo. For example, some games like Ultima Underworld, Red Baron, or Duke Nukem 3D would be easily guessed by almost anyone with a full screen, but take something in the background, or maybe crop to an unusual monster in the game, then suddenly a game that is too easy becomes challenging. Just a thought. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 994 of 1640, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since nobody's started a new round for a month, I'll pick it up with a (probably) not very difficult one:

ĜȕɘىⓈ.png
Filename
ĜȕɘىⓈ.png
File size
19.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 996 of 1640, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh, you beat me to it. Released as freeware some time ago. One of those things I always meant to get back to some day. Neat little game, though I recall reading that some of its assets were brazenly stolen from elsewhere.

Reply 998 of 1640, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm gonna post a two-in-one. This game had completely different titles depending on whether you had the Amiga or DOS release but they're exactly the same game. Tell me either title and you win, tell me both and you get MAD BONUS POINTS (disclaimer: worth nothing.)

Here's a gif comparing some absolutely lovely in-game artwork between DOS & Amiga:

screenie.gif
Filename
screenie.gif
File size
106.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!