VOGONS

First post, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, my dad is using Packard Bell computer since 2003 and it is really slow. From factory it had 1GB of RAM, about a quarter was used by integrated Ati Xpress 200 grapgics chip in south bridge, so XP ran on 768MB of RAM. That is certainly not enough. I started upgrading it decently by adding my no longer used GeForce GT440 graphics card, which freed up all the memory for system. It is working flawlessly. Next step I wanted to do was upgrading the RAM to maximum. On internet I found that this board supports up to 4GB of RAM, so I went to my local eBay-ish auction server (Aukro) and won myself pair of Kingston RAM that was branded like 667 MHz for approx. 20 bucks, which is A LOT of money since I am student and my income is approx. 2 dollars a week. I packed them as a Christmas gift for my dad and month ago gave them to him. What he found in box though was Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/4G, which are paired RAM on 800 MHz. I told myself The board will underclock them for sure, so I won't return them, also I missed time for returning. Guess what? Yes, the board does not turn on with them. So, is there any way to convince the board to start working with them, or do I have to pass them in hope I will make some money and buy myself other ones?

Board name:
Gigabyte GA-8TRC410MNF-RH
Celeron D 352 3,2GHz

It was sold as Packard Bell imedia MC something, last time I have seen that name was in store when we bought it, and I was 6 that time. It is really good built PC, temperature when idle is on 18°C with box heatsink, no matter room temperature. When loaded, max. 40°C. Also this PC is running nonstop in our family, had to change PSU twice (very dusty house + not opened and cleaned for ten years = interesting static sparks when fan running), but no other problems ever happened.

Reply 2 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board supports 2 2GB modules running at 400 or 533 MHz (800/1066 DDR2). So if they are not dead they should work. Have you tried running with just one memory module at a time, to see if one works and one is dead? At least then you might have a good 2 GB module. I wouldn't resell them if there is a chance they are faulty, that could encourage bad feedback.

Your motherboard's specs can be found at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=2304#sp

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snayperskaya - I didn't since the board does not even POST when the sticks are installed. Just beep codes.

debs3759 - They literally say Kit of 2 so I am not sure they can run alone. I can surely try it, maybe even try to dig in my computer stash and see if I have any other DDR2 board to try them in.

Reply 5 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trank wrote:

You should also pop one of those Core 2 E6700 in there too. Much better than that Celeron.

Well if it will have only 1 GB of RAM it really doesn't matter. Also i need to upgrade my main PC, I have in there GTX770 Ti GS and AMD Athlon II X2 260.

Reply 8 of 11, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krivulak wrote:

They literally say Kit of 2 so I am not sure they can run alone

This just means that both modules are identical and will work in Dual Channel mode for faster performance. You can still insert only one of them and it'll work, just in a slightly-slower Single Channel mode.

Reply 9 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:

They literally say Kit of 2 so I am not sure they can run alone.

As torindkflt said, any kit is just made up of multiple identical sticks, and they are exactly the same as if you bought two (or more) identically specced single sticks.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 10 of 11, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:
Trank wrote:

You should also pop one of those Core 2 E6700 in there too. Much better than that Celeron.

Well if it will have only 1 GB of RAM it really doesn't matter. Also i need to upgrade my main PC, I have in there GTX770 Ti GS and AMD Athlon II X2 260.

Don't bother with E6700, as it will run at 800Mhz fsb (what states on Gigabyte support site), which gives you 2.0 ghz instead of 2.67 - 10x multiplier.
Try to find E4700 which is factory provided for operation at 2.6Ghz /800 Mhz FSB - 13x multiplier.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 11 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, just tried it with single one. Forever repeating beeping. Since it is Award BIOS it stands for RAM problem. I searched through the BIOS and there was no option to set the memory speed. Current stick is running on 533MHz. Also got weird problems after I put back the original stick, it gave me
- Fan on max speed without slowing
- Fan on max speed without slowing, periodically blinking HDD light and ticking sound every second
- Fan on max speed, slow, one beep (normal), than it gave me CMOS checksum error - CMOS Battery is 3,19V
- Fan on max speed, slow, one beep (normal), but BIOS logo not going away

I tried to reseat everything, finally it started running normally.