VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kil3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Title explains it all. What would be necessary to make software that can solve this problem? Why exactly do we see old games with huge mouse unresponsiveness?

Two games that have huge mouse issues with me are specifically:
South Park (1999 FPS) running on Ubuntu + WINE. (NOTE: Does Turok 2 have the same issues?)
Aliens vs Predator 2 running on Windows 10.

Usually the recommended fix is to have a older mouse but that can be inconvenient for some.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the first time I've heard of "old games with huge mouse unresponsiveness". And I can't imagine why "having an older mouse" would be any kind of a remedy.

If I am not mistaken, South Park is generally regarded as a frequently problematic game, and Windows 10 has all kinds of problems of its own.

Reply 2 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turok 2 has problems with high mouse DPI, so I think South Park would be the same. A universal fix for games with those problems would be nice. Dark Reign 2 and Populous the Beginning are two other games that are afflicted, though Populous The Beginning has a parameter that limits mouse polling to the framerate of the game (/frameratemouse).

I don't think Aliens Vs Predator 2 has that issue though, so you're asking for an universal fix and present two games with (likely) entirely different problems...

Reply 3 of 7, by Kil3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Turok 2 has problems with high mouse DPI, so I think South Park would be the same. A universal fix for games with those problems would be nice. Dark Reign 2 and Populous the Beginning are two other games that are afflicted, though Populous The Beginning has a parameter that limits mouse polling to the framerate of the game (/frameratemouse).

I don't think Aliens Vs Predator 2 has that issue though, so you're asking for an universal fix and present two games with (likely) entirely different problems...

That's a good point. I had figured that the mouse issues are mainly due to conflict with newer mice DPI but perhaps it isn't that simple. As for AVP2 when you lower your DPI the mouse issues lessen. Another thing, I guess I should of specified older FPS. I'm sure there are more FPS that have mouse issues on newer PCs.

I will admit that South Park is simply a broken game so Turok 2 would be a better example. I just didn't have T2 on hand to test.

Reply 6 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Have you seen this?

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/

Maybe that will help?

Not for games with polling rate issues. Probably not for any other games with mouse problems either. mouse acceleration settings is just user preference. Not game destroying responsiveness issues.

Reply 7 of 7, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/issu … mment-410491122
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … tinput-fps-fix/
EDIT: maybe too?

Alternatively, even in the worst case scenario I believe you should still be able to downclock your usb controller.

pcgamingwiki.com