VOGONS

486DLC Project

Topic actions

First post, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently decided to take up retro computing due to stumbling across some of Phil's Youtube videos. This website has been a tremendous resource so I thought I would just document what I'm doing here in case it can be of any use to anyone. I took on a new job that is way less stressful and after messing with computers at work all day I sometimes don't mind coming home to work on them. I recently picked up a 486 era computer. I got it home and surprisingly it fired up. This is my first time messing with this era of computers since I was a kid when they originally came out.

Anmt655l.jpg?1

What I could identify:

• CPU - TX486DLC/E-40GA
    Motherboard: Opti 82C495SLC chipset
    American Megatrends 40-040B-001107-10101111-111192-0P4P5SLC-H
    Opti-495SLC Bios 2.1a
    x8 Ram slots - 30 pin simm
    Video card: Jaton JAX 8236 with Trident TVGA 9200CXr (2mb)

However there were quite a few errors. I took it apart and took a bunch of photos. For the motherboard the closest matches I could online was here and here.

SeUo65kl.jpg

As far as I could tell the hard drive had DOS on it. I could see the files when I slaved it to my other computer but I could not get the system to get past posting. It would either get stuck at "Wait...." after posting or it would do a single beep after posting and go to a black screen. I tried a number of different things but after realizing I had no way to get files onto this computer I decided to buy a few things. I picked up a Gotek floppy emulator and one of those IDE CF card readers from StarTech. I thought I would just cruise through and load dos and off I'd go. Well after rebooting the system a ton of times I started getting a different error and beep codes. It was now keyboard errors. It started doing continuous beeps or one long beep. I probably should have taken the advice of everything I had read and just swapped out the battery first. It was leaking slightly and caused the 5-pin DIN to corrode so I decided I'll just replace the battery and the keyboard port.

HHIKmWnl.jpg?1

I think this part from Digikey should work but I need to read up about the battery. I thought I could just swap in a modern motherboard battery holder but what I've read online so far shows using 3 triple A or external enclosures so if anyone has any experience with what is easiest to do let me know. The corrosion wasn't too bad and actually was pretty much contained to the keyboard connector so hopefully these steps will fix it.

Heres the full photo album with more pics and if anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by Shogun on 2022-08-20, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there, fellow 486DLC owner! 😀
That's a nice box you have. Looks clean and shiny. And gratulations on the CT1740, it's a fine card.
Albeit a bit noisy for some (hence sometimes called Noise Blaster).
Anyway, it makes up to that by being a stress-free and quite compatible card with a real OPL3.
If you want to increase audio quality a bit, just by-pass the amplifiers.

About that battery thing.. Your system had a 3.6v battery, right ?

In this case, here a two ways to use 1.5v batteries:

a) 2x AA and a germanium diode (voltage drop ~0.3v)
b) 3x AA and a silicon diode (voltage drop ~0.7v)

Of course that's just an example here. The internal clock requires very little current,
like a watch, so any battery will do. Including triple A's.

You could also use an old-school 4.5v lamp battery (3LR12) with a silicon diode.
Or a coin cell with a germanium diode. Or a tiny rechargeable battery (NiCD).

Just keep in mind that batteries without a load have a slightly higher voltage than said.
And the clock+CMOS make up for a very lousy load, comparable to a solar powered calculator.
So if you want to stay on the safe side, use a lower voltage (you can also use diodes in series to do so).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice PC that you got there.
I believe the motherboard is a Dataexpert EXP3406 - http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/C-D/31975.htm
I have the same motherboard. The only difference is that mine has the OPTI 495XLC chipset.

Regarding battery replacement, refer this site for some tips - http://pc-restorer.com/replacing-cmos-batteries-in-old-pcs/
For older motherboards, I prefer an external battery connection.
I've used a 4x 1.5V battery "pack" on most of my 386 & 486 motherboards with no problems (non rechargeable).

Just remember, when you do put the motherboard back together, the two black wires from the power supply goes together when you plug them onto the motherboard.

PS: When you do get the motherboard up and running, I would like if you could dump a copy of your motherboard's BIOS for me (I'm looking for an updated revision for mine).
You can use a utility like NSSI 0.60 to save a copy of the BIOS.

Last edited by jesolo on 2016-09-12, 06:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 40, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why add a germanium diode to 2xAA batteries? The 2 batteries in series will give 3V, minus the 0.3V (actually most germanium diodes are 0.4-0.5V drop) would give 2.7V or less.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Why add a germanium diode to 2xAA batteries? The 2 batteries in series will give 3V, minus the 0.3V (actually most germanium diodes are 0.4-0.5V drop) would give 2.7V or less.

The diodes do also act as some kind of "flow control" - they let pass the power in only one direction.
It is used as a safety measure here, to avoid the batteries beeing charged.

Besides, if you cascade two 1.5v batteries, you won't get precisely 3v, but something like 3.2v.
That's similar to lab power supplies. They aren't rated 12v, but 13.8v.

Attachments

• 3v.gif
    Filename
    3v.gif
    File size
    119.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't have to worry about the batteries being charged via the external battery connector.
It only draws power, there is no charging occurring via the external connector.
Unless, I completely misunderstood your post.

Reply 6 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're right, I thought the OP was asking for a way to replace the on-board battery.
Using an external battery on the connector is safe, as you said. 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

You're right, I thought the OP was asking for a way to replace the on-board battery.
Using an external battery on the connector is safe, as you said. 😀

It just occurred to me that there are some motherboards that do charge via the external battery connector (I have an AMD 386SX-25 motherboard that has two external connectors - one for chargeable batteries and the other one for non chargeable batteries).

Always best to check the jumper settings of the motherboard as well.
However, if the motherboard already had an onboard (soldered) battery, then chances are good that the external connector is only for non chargeable batteries.

Reply 8 of 40, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow thanks for all the info everyone! I finally have the model of the motherboard. I looked all over for that. I'll try to dump the bios if it gets up and working. As for the batteries I found one of those cordless phone battery packs in my basement. I think I might just wire that in and tape it to the side of the case. I don't understand why people use alkaline or lithium batteries with a diode. Why not just use a lithium-ion coin battery like this soldered onto the motherboard in a holder?

Reply 9 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad we could help! 😄 I don't know if this works, though. There are two types of lithium coin cells.
Batteries (primary cells) and rechargeable batteries (accus). As a direct replacement (no diodes) you could use
NiCD and NiMH types, but I think lithium models need a different charging technology.
That's at least what Jesolo's wonderful link hints (see "Do’s & Don’ts" paragraph).

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just want to add to Jo22's last post.

Just be very careful in connecting a non chargeable battery (like a CR2032 coin cell) to the connector on the motherboard where the onboard (rechargeable) battery used to be.

On my other AMD386SX-25 motherboard I made the mistake of connecting my "battery pack" to the connector that is the chargeable one, resulting in my AA batteries heating up very quickly. Luckily, I caught it on time.

Reply 11 of 40, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the parts came in. I soldered in a battery pack (NiCad) and a keyboard port. However with only the video card connected I don't get any posts or beeps. With it disconnected I get 2 beeps followed by 8 beeps. I'm pretty sure 8 beeps just means no VGA card. Did the video card bite the dust or something?

Reply 12 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the ISA slots pkay ? Sometimes a pin gets bent, and shorts another one..

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 40, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't see any bent pins but you gave me an idea that it might be something with the ports so I used electronic cleaner and a credit card to clean and loosen the ISA pins and now it boots!

Edit - So after all that work I'm back to my original problem when I first got the computer. I don't have a hard drive hooked up. I just have the video card, I/O card, and gotek FDD emulator. I try to boot from the floppy which has the DOS installation disks and a DOS bootdisk. I can see the green light come on and then the usb stick has an indicator light which starts flashing when its reading. Then either I get stuck at "Wait..." or it acts like its launching whatever is on the floppy but the monitor goes black. Actually it looks like it is out of sync its doing this wavy black picture. I tried using another monitor but it just says no signal when this happens. I was stuck at this before and I don't have any better idea now what could be causing this.

Reply 14 of 40, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

I have the same motherboard. The only difference is that mine has the OPTI 495XLC chipset.

Maybe the layout is the same, but otherwise not the same at all.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 40, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

You don't have to worry about the batteries being charged via the external battery connector.
It only draws power, there is no charging occurring via the external connector.
Unless, I completely misunderstood your post.

Uhm...nope. Some motherboards provide a 5v charge current trough the external battery connector. Look here:

Rhuck0ul.png

My 286 board does not provide any charge current, but my two 386 boards and most of my 486 boards provide 4 to 5v trough pins 1 and 4. Using non-rechargeable batteries on these w/o clipping D2 on the motherboard or installing a diode on the battery pack could be dangerous. I found that out the hard way.

Reply 16 of 40, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am truly stuck. I only have the video card, Biostar I/O card, and FDD hooked up. I've tried swapping out IDE cables, flipping the IDE cable around, changing out floppy disk drives, pulling the I/O card and checking the jumpers and re-seating the card. Every time I boot up I get past posting with 1 beep, the FDD is being read and either the screen goes black, the computer just sits at the wait screen, or the screen gets all wavy/blurry at the wait screen and just sits there all the same.

I found other threads both here and elsewhere with people hanging at the wait screen and none of them were resolved. The bios shouldn't need to be reset as that would have been done when I replaced the battery. I can only think that either the video card or the I/O card is bad. It seems weird for the video card to be the culprit as the issue appears AFTER posting. I would think if it were the I/O card it would say bad FDD controller at startup. Unfortunately this is the only ISA/VLB hardware I have at the moment.

Reply 17 of 40, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you access the BIOS and disable the L2 or external cache option? See if it boots now.

With the ribbon cables, to avoid guessing, one outmost cable is red (on the ribbon cables), that one goes to pin 1 on the controller and drives. That just gives you something to check for and to know it's 100% correct.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 18 of 40, by Shogun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot disabling a combination of external, internal, both, and also the turbo button. I think its random what occurs but I was able to get the farthest yet with the computer locking up midway while drawing the system configuration screen. Weirdly disabling both internal and external led to the computer just doing 1 long beep but it has done that before randomly.

This is the Wait.... screen. It either shows up wavy like this or clear and just sits there
NeiBbfBl.jpg

After messing with the caches I got this:
ure7SENl.jpg

And then this:
oIXjmRol.jpg

All of the above seems random. I can't tell if I just got lucky or if disabling the caches made me get further as each time I try something I get one of the above results.

Reply 19 of 40, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems like a problem with the DMA controller. Make sure your bios settings are correct. Try "load optimized bios defaults" or something like that. If it still won't work, try decreasing DMA clock in bios . if it's 1/1 or 1/2, set it to 1/3, 1/4 or lower. Try this with all bios multipliers if defaults don't help.

Also, are you using a VLB video card or I/O card? Is the TVGA 9200CXr VLB? If so, VLB might be running too fast - see if the board has a CPU Clock > 33Mhz jumper or bios setting - if it does, you might have to set it on. This dictates the frequency of the VLB bus. At CPU < 33, VLB will run at CPU clock witch in your case is 40MHz. Some VLB boards don't like going over 33Mhz, so set the jumper to CPU > 33Mhz witch wil half the VLB frequency.