VOGONS

My Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 Review

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 65, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a click sound in Prince of Persia after the footsteps sample, other games have similar click sound like Mortal Kombat 1, Skyroads and Supaplex, not present in all games.
This click sound is a residue after low sampling rate PCM playback, it is absent from YMF71x, ES1688, Vibra16S, and DOSBox.
Note that this click is very quiet and some may never notice it, I guess this is just how the stand alone SB16 DSP works.

Interesting. Is this is what's happening in Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage? This game uses tracker based music, and with the CT2230 I found the card was very noisy in this game. I don't get the same noise with an SB Pro 2 or AWE64.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 21 of 65, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sounds like it is the same problem in Alien Carnage with the music, but much more severe, the clicking is constant as though it is part of the music.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 22 of 65, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My head is spinning with all these issues 😀

We could do with a compatibility matrix. It seems every card has an issue with some games?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 24 of 65, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
Indeed, none of them is ideal. An AWE64 with a real OPL3 would be nice. […]
Show full quote

Indeed, none of them is ideal.
An AWE64 with a real OPL3 would be nice.

EDIT:
A compatibility matrix is a great idea!

An AWE64 with a real OPL3, a WT header, and a dedicated micro to optionally load and control SF on the EMU chip in DOS.

I can dream, right?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 65, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need a small AWE64 recording to listen if it actually distorts like the Vibra16S.
Can someone be nice and record the ship explodes in Skyroads? Just crash into a block in stage 2.
Preferably with the MIDI volume turned off.
Its freeware: http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/skyroads/

Last edited by James-F on 2016-09-13, 14:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 65, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

CT1703-T is the noisy DAC appearing only the CT2230 (19413) and (29417) but not on the CT2290.

Ah, this explains my situation. I have the CT1703-T on my 29417 revision.

Reply 28 of 65, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
James-F wrote:

CT1703-T is the noisy DAC appearing only the CT2230 (19413) and (29417) but not on the CT2290.

Ah, this explains my situation. I have the CT1703-T on my 29417 revision.

Same here. I also thought the chip to look out for was the CT1745 - but I think you're right about the CT1703 chip. I have the CT1703-T.

If I get some time, I'll jumper the wavetable analog outputs to see if that quiets it. I think this is a good troubleshooting path since I was able to confirm that the MIDI slider in the MIXERSET has the most effect on hiss loudness than the others.

Reply 29 of 65, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great Hierophant doesn't seem to think much of the CT2230:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com.au/2015/0 … t-playback.html

He also says this about the SB16:

This card uses DSP (maybe V4.01) V4.04, V4.05, V4.11, V4.12 and V4.13 and the CT-1745 mixer. DSP 4.xx adds support for mono or stereo digital output up to 8-bit/44,100 kHz or 16-bit/44,100 kHz . It scraps the high speed modes of the Pros but allows the other pre-existing single-cycle and auto-init DMA modes to support digitized sound up to 44,100 kHz in 8-bit or 16-bit. If a game uses single-cycle DMA modes, the listener will experience pops and cracks that would not be present in earlier cards. DSPs 4.05 and lower are very noisy when it comes to digital audio output.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com.au/2010/0 … d-blasters.html

Could this be what's happening with the clicks?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 30 of 65, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If a game uses single-cycle DMA modes, the listener will experience pops and cracks that would not be present in earlier cards.

This is exactly what it is!
Thanks for posting this DonutKing.

I am experimenting with the CT2890 Vibra16S again, it is very quiet, free of the clicks pops and cracks, and has a real OPL3.
The only problem with it is some distortion with the most loudest games where the recorded samples are distorted anyway, but it sounds different to the distortion on the CT2230.

I asked for a recording of the AWE64 to test if it is plagued with the same distortion as the Vibra16S, it may very well be.
I know you all have an AWE64, can someone be kind and participate in this knowledgeable investigation, for future reference and archival purposes.

I attached the the sound example of how the distortion sounds in Skyroads when the ship explodes.
It sounds like digital distortion which do not occur in the CT2230 or CT2950.

Attachments

• Filename
    Skyroads Distortion Vibra16S.mp3
    File size
    51.83 KiB
    Downloads
    153 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Skyroads CT2950.mp3
    File size
    23.68 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Skyroads CT2230.mp3
    File size
    24.24 KiB
    Downloads
    162 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Skyroads DOSBox.mp3
    File size
    18.38 KiB
    Downloads
    124 downloads
    File license
Last edited by James-F on 2016-09-14, 07:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't own an awe of any kind, I don't like them tbh - personal preferences:)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32 of 65, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
I need a small AWE64 recording to listen if it actually distorts like the Vibra16S. Can someone be nice and record the ship expl […]
Show full quote

I need a small AWE64 recording to listen if it actually distorts like the Vibra16S.
Can someone be nice and record the ship explodes in Skyroads? Just crash into a block in stage 2.
Preferably with the MIDI volume turned off.
Its freeware: http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/skyroads/

I don't have any easy recording capability near my DOS gaming station, but I just tried and I could not hear any distortions. The FX are quite a bit louder compared to the FM music, but it sounds fine 😀

Reply 34 of 65, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Thanks Phil, that should suffice.
Anyone with a Vibra16S to confirm this happening only on my card?
CT2800, CT2900, CT2890

The distortion happens on my CT2800 too. I tried with my mixer settings and with yours. It actually seems to be slightly less noticeable with your mixer settings, though I have no way of recording, so I can't tell for sure. But regardless, I heard the crackle/distortion with both your and my mixer settings. For reference, my settings are:
Voice is one tick down from max. Master at 50%. With these settings, I get a good volume with my speakers set to 50%. With your mixer settings, I get good volume with my speakers set to about 15-20%.
Here are photos of my card:
Which Sound Blaster drivers can I comment out?

edit: I did not mention, but the rest of my mixer settings were the same as yours, James. I did put Midi to zero so I could hear the explosion better.

Last edited by clueless1 on 2016-09-15, 02:00. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 35 of 65, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't mention my mixer settings. All the inputs like CD, Mic, Line were set to 0. All the input and recording boxes unticked. 3DSE unticked. Master, Voice and MIDI set to one setting below maximum. Bass, Treble was elevated, I think that's the default setting.

Reply 36 of 65, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for testing clueless1.
I guess it's the Vibra16S CT2504 chip that distorts.
The Vibra16S could have been one of the best SB16 models if it did not distort, but then again, it happens only with the loudest sounds and manageable with games that have a volume control.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-09-15, 12:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 65, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I wonder how different the various flavors of Vibra chipset turn out to be. I have CT2502 and OPL3-L on a CT2940 I should check out.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 38 of 65, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please do, I have canceled my CT2260 order, too many cards already.
Check the Clicking DMA bug and distortion in Skyroads.

I'll try to contact Ace about the CT2260, we haven't seen him in a while.

The DMA bug can be tested with Alien Carnage intro music which will sound like a rattle snake with all cards with this bug.
Wolfenstein3D opening doors will have a lot of crackle, Prince of Persia footsteps, and many more games.
Alien Carnage is freeware: http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/alien-carnage/

Reply 39 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ just tried Alien Carnage with my 2230 - it does clip when it plays the credits intro - not the story one though

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website