VOGONS

Reply 120 of 894, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marmes wrote:
Hi! Thanks keropi! I tested this with some games, oh man, anyone with a MT32 or other module should definetly have this. Cheers […]
Show full quote

Hi!
Thanks keropi!
I tested this with some games, oh man, anyone with a MT32 or other module should definetly have this.
Cheers!

Agree. Love mine (got one from the first batch).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 124 of 894, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious - I'm relatively new to this, so what is something like this for? I'm assuming this is to replace the older (discontinued) Roland MPU401 interface card? Would I need it if I already have a USB-to-MIDI cable as well as sound card with a joystick/midi port?

I just recently received my Roland SC-55 mkII and using both a USB-to-MIDI cable (I have a cheapo one and a Roland One-UM) - works graet in modern Win10 (need a MIDI mapper app though), as well as the Joystick Port from a Yamaha Audacian 32 Plus sound card. Both methods work well so far. I'm guessing both methods are using the MPU401 interface already.

Reply 125 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some games written around 1990 require a fully compatible MPU-401 interface which can operate in "intelligent" or "normal" mode to provide MT-32 or CM-32L sound. SoftMPU can also provide this capability, but it won't run with games incompatible with EMM386.

The first link contains a list of some games which require this type of support. The second link contains some additional information about MPU-401 interfaces.

Looking for a list of dos games that require an intelligent mode MPU-401
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2010/03/tu … land-mt-32.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 126 of 894, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Some games written around 1990 require a fully compatible MPU-401 interface which can operate in "intelligent" or "normal" mode […]
Show full quote

Some games written around 1990 require a fully compatible MPU-401 interface which can operate in "intelligent" or "normal" mode to provide MT-32 or CM-32L sound. SoftMPU can also provide this capability, but it won't run with games incompatible with EMM386.

The first link contains a list of some games which require this type of support. The second link contains some additional information about MPU-401 interfaces.

Looking for a list of dos games that require an intelligent mode MPU-401
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2010/03/tu … land-mt-32.html

Thanks for the info!

Reply 127 of 894, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having a dedicted MPU card also gets around the hanging note bug. So you can use ANY Sound Blaster 16 and have no issues.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 128 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True, although the same applies for any card featuring an MPU-401 UART installed in addition to a SB16.

Reply 129 of 894, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

True, although the same applies for any card featuring an MPU-401 UART installed in addition to a SB16.

Yes but than you got to muck around with resources and all of that. And it's still not intelligent mode.

Reply 130 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intelligent mode was my main point. That's what makes the difference between a card like this and an MPU-401 UART on your sound card, although SoftMPU provides intelligent mode features via TSR. Unbugged MPU-401 equipped sound cards are comparatively common.

Reply 131 of 894, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SoftMPU takes up CPU time, this is noticeable on a 386 for example, some games take longer to start-up.

Reply 132 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, plus it necessitates using EMM386 which is both memory inefficient and incompatible with some software.

Reply 133 of 894, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should also get around the highly irritating Tie Fighter bug, where it can frequently pause for a second during gameplay. Can't remember if this is just a digital audio and MIDI on a soundblaster at the same time bug, or if a joystick needs to be plugged in too. I've only managed to get it to work by using two Soundblasters, one dedicated to MIDI..

With one of these cards it'd require a lot less faffing around with the plug and play utilities to disable bits of the second sound card.

Reply 135 of 894, by loktar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Phil just posted in a group I'm a part of on Facebook, what do I need to do to get one of these?! Not even sure how I missed this thread. As an owner of an MT32 I feel like I *need* one of these haha. Checked out the Amibay thread and 0 are available, do you have any left keropi?

Pretty kick ass project! I have an unassembled clone board.. but I suck at assembling, pretty excited at the thought of getting a fully assembled board I can use.

Reply 136 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fully assembled boards are sold by Marmes at over at AmiBay and eBay (AmiBay is cheaper since there are no fees) , I believe there are 5 left now - more to come

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 137 of 894, by loktar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

Fully assembled boards are sold by Marmes at over at AmiBay and eBay (AmiBay is cheaper since there are no fees) , I believe there are 5 left now - more to come

Thanks for the heads up!

Reply 139 of 894, by loktar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote:

Last ones I'm afraid, grab yours while you can 😀

Yeah I wasn't going to sit on this, this is an amazing service being provided considering how much the originals go for now. I was beginning to think I would never have an MPU card.