Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1000 of 1913, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Nice finds Carlos. Cool that you are focusing on the earlier pre-VGA games.

Yep, there's still quite a few EA classics i want to find. I wanted to expand a bit on my 1980's games collection, CGA and EGA games.

Reply 1001 of 1913, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A new arrival, Space Quest II 😎

sq2.jpg
Filename
sq2.jpg
File size
112.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1002 of 1913, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some very nice items here. Carlostex and BJT, where do you guys find all these gems? 😎

I haven't posted in this thread for a while so here is a picture of the games I bought this year. I sold all my games a few years ago on a whim, only to regret it later. It wouldn't make sense to buy them again as some are way too expensive now (lucasfilm games for example). So instead I've decided to focus on an earlier era - these are all games I also used to own back in the day but that got stolen from our basement at some stage in the '90s. I'm slowly trying to "buy back" my favorite ones from the era, but only if I can find them for a reasonable price.

Crazy Cars II and Rick Dangerous weren't really the best games as they were way too difficult to enjoy, but I got them since I was able to combine shipping costs with other games I was buying.

I'm still on the lookout for some Accolade games (Test Drive etc.), Budokan, Death Track... to name a few.

zxn2BDOl.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1003 of 1913, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:
Myst III: Exile! Easily my favorite game, although it ended too quickly for me -- I enjoyed it so much! […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Bought a boxed copy of Myst III Exile (smaller cardboard box), 4 CDROMs and a couple booklets were included and it seems in good condition.

I never played any of these Myst games, but RPGs are no strange thing to me (and it was only like 75 cents anyway so why not 🤣!).

Myst III: Exile! Easily my favorite game, although it ended too quickly for me -- I enjoyed it so much!

Have a blast! 😀

(...or maybe not, since it doesn't have any gun or explosives 🤣)

P.S. There's a scene that will make you wish for a VR version!

Now I'm actually contemplating on trying this out when I have the time 😀 (which I unfortunately have barely had lately).
Sometimes the best reasons for being blown away have nothing to do with any explosions anyway 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1004 of 1913, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blurry image, but now I have Crysis Warhead to go along with the first Crysis!
$

Yeah yeah, it is a tech demo that is overhyped but I genuinely liked the first game, aliens and all, and having Warhead and knowing black magic to bypass the limited activation limit makes me happy to finally play that one.

Reply 1005 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Flea market finds for 18€.

games1.jpg
Filename
games1.jpg
File size
210.13 KiB
Views
File license
games2.jpg
Filename
games2.jpg
File size
229.09 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1010 of 1913, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this last weekend at a thrift store on Long Island. Never heard of Flashback until then. It's Delphine's follow-up to Out of this World, not exactly a sequel but another sci-fi cinematic platformer in a similar style. Was perhaps going to make a YouTube video about it, but it has already been covered in excellent detail by Kim Justice.

Flashback - MacPlay.jpg
Filename
Flashback - MacPlay.jpg
File size
158.4 KiB
Views
File license

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 1011 of 1913, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Myst III: Exile in a big box. Small manual is in good condition, disc case and CDs are nearly mint. Box is torn though.
Included some stapled printouts of GameFAQs walkthroughs and a tech support README. The latter was full of handwritten annotations of all the previous owner's detailed system specs (a P2-300 "with MMX technology") and all the stuff he did trying to get the game to work.
I didn't check if he did any scribblings in the walkthroughs because I don't really want to look at them.

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Damned also in a big box. This one is in remarkable condition. The box has some wear from rough handling but it's not torn. Inside, I can't tell if anybody has ever played the game. No sign of handling on anything in there. Includes a book of illustrations, game manual, a $10 rebate form with a picture of Freddy Kreuger on it, and the disc case. The discs are mint.

I noticed Myst 3 was just mentioned a month ago. I've never played any of the games in either of these series. I'm not sure when I'll get to playing them - I'll probably put them on the shelf and plan to play them "some day" after I've at least tried the prequels.

I haven't normally bought old boxed games like this, but I might start doing it more. I like GOG.com, but their angle is to make it easy to run "old games on new systems" which potentially involves some adaptations and a WinXP requirement. I'd rather build a system around the original game rather than the other way around. So I've decided to start paying more attention to original physical versions that I find out in the wild. If it gets out of hand I might have to start folding the boxes flat though.

Reply 1012 of 1913, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are some of the latest grabs from the past few weeks:

CqzCNoMXgAA5Vin.jpg
CqzCObZW8AA71Rg.jpg
CqzCPU_WcAAOxTZ.jpg
CqzCcKLWIAAJoch.jpg
CqzCdHbXgAAS2Z3.jpg
CqzCeKCW8AA0GlX.jpg
CqzCe8rW8AAQLDL.jpg
CqzC0NRWcAAa2I_.jpg
CqzC1FRW8AARIkp.jpg
CqzC11-WgAAXjuz.jpg
CqzDDzrXYAAuHwK.jpg
CqzDEw1XgAEGp6r.jpg
CqzDFkUWYAAVwuF.jpg

WIth the exception of Hitchhikers guide, every single game is in great condition, with Kings of the Beach and World Tour Gold being completely new and still sealed.

I wasn't even going to buy Batman but i put a bid at 0.99$ and i won it. Condition is pretty good too.

I have at least 12 more gems on my way. 😎

Reply 1013 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome games! I wish people here didn't treat retro HW/SW like junk. It's very hard to find any pre -98 stuff here. 😢 I can't even find a decent replacement CRT monitor anymore! 😐

Reply 1014 of 1913, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most excellent haul indeed. I hadn't heard of "Kings of the Beach" before but it looks to be right up my alley, so I've secured myself a copy of the C64 version and am looking forward to having some fun in the sun 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1019 of 1913, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Along with this weekend's haul of retro hardware I picked up a bunch of late 90s / early 2000s games:

Games.jpg
Filename
Games.jpg
File size
215.03 KiB
Views
File license

Several of these appear to be Myst/Riven clones from a Canadian publisher called DreamCatcher. As you can see from the Schizm box, they basically ripped-off Riven's visual style:

Schism Game.jpg
Filename
Schism Game.jpg
File size
208.71 KiB
Views
File license

Normally these type of games aren't my bag but since yellow was half-off today they were 50 cents apiece, so I figured why not. Also got an interesting Windows 3.1 JPEG utility from Xing called Picture Prowler.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+