VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2681 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
lowenz wrote:

WOW, thanks!
You'll end a long long discussion about the "original implementation" of a lot of things 😁

😀 I agree....

PS :Be grateful that DOF effect is not implemented in the PC port. 🤣

Uploading the footage i took of the original SC last night but it's gonna take a while since i took it in higher bitrate than i usually do just to make sure that it doesn't look like crap. i did cap it in OBS and scale the cap output to 1080p so it should be at least clear enough to see what you need to see. will either edit the link in here or post it in another post in this thread depending on if replies come in before or after the footage is uploaded

Reply 2686 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just recorded. and i didn't have the save point for jerusalem so i couldn't test that one. i'll get to looking for a save and trying to capture a picture of that point for you though.
Edit: okay, tracked a savegame down and did a quick no audio capture of the spot you requested.

Reply 2687 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Videos:
20 Mins of Splinter Cell
Start of Pandora Tomorrow Jerusalem (didn't catch the exact spot but i did make sure that i checked if windows were giving light shafts on xbox)
i'll upload the full 20 or so min PT video now though (came out at half the size of the original SC 20min video)
also unsure of if YT will have finished processing them right away.

Reply 2688 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JJXB wrote:
Videos: 20 Mins of Splinter Cell Start of Pandora Tomorrow Jerusalem (didn't catch the exact spot but i did make sure that i ch […]
Show full quote

Videos:
20 Mins of Splinter Cell
Start of Pandora Tomorrow Jerusalem (didn't catch the exact spot but i did make sure that i checked if windows were giving light shafts on xbox)
i'll upload the full 20 or so min PT video now though (came out at half the size of the original SC 20min video)
also unsure of if YT will have finished processing them right away.

SC1.
Thin rays. check
DOF check.

SC2.
DOF check.
Color of the light...perfect.

Ohh i wish i could see this on PC one day.😀

Reply 2690 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JJXB wrote:

I just recorded. and i didn't have the save point for jerusalem so i couldn't test that one. i'll get to looking for a save and trying to capture a picture of that point for you though.
Edit: okay, tracked a savegame down and did a quick no audio capture of the spot you requested.

You can simply unlock the Jerusalem mission with codes 😁

Reply 2691 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JJXB wrote:

Thanks!

There's no light shafts in XBOX version too. The window is in the wall @your right at the end.So the error is universal 😁

Reply 2694 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
JJXB wrote:

Thanks!

There's no light shafts in XBOX version too. The window is in the wall @your right at the end.So the error is universal 😁

i did make sure to toggle NV on and off to check if the light shafts would appear with that too as well. but either way, glad to be able to give some decent reference for how the xbox versions of SC and PT did things graphically.

Reply 2695 of 3949, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ed_barber wrote:

Your wrapper is probably the best thing I've come across for retro gaming on Windows 10 as I've gotten every game I tested on it to work! I have one game called Delta Force 2 and it has support for both software rendering and semi-hardware rendering. The thing is that in hardware mode the objects being rendered using Direct3D (I believe uses DirectX 6) get shown through the terrain (rendered in software mode even if the renderer is set to full-screen hardware) even when they are behind it. If I use dgVoodoo 2 to try and fix it it will actually make everything that's rendering in Direct3D disappear so only the terrain is in the scene with the fonts on the characters that represent their friendly tag. It would be cool if you could look into this. I would love to see the day I can finally play this lost treasure while making use of its 3d acceleration on modern hardware.

I even heard that the chipsets listed such as the nVidia TNT 2 had issues with the game too. I even got a GeForce 7600 GS using drivers from around June 2008 to render everything correctly in hardware mode but at a lower than anticipated framerate. Your work is very great and you should consider contacting game companies with your fixes. Many people would love to see certain retro games able to play once again!

PS. It would be nice if there was an option to use either hard or soft shadows in when the game is using shadow buffer mode such as in Splinter Cell 😀

More background on the issue:

- I've noticed that objects not rendered using D3D are the only ones that you can see through
- The objects in D3D have proper sorting
- Only objects rendered in D3D are the models made out of polygons. When you look through the scope the camera in the scope renders nothing in D3D and that's why there's proper sorting in there.
- I heard that before you were able to force 16-bit z-buffering in the graphics card control panel and it fixes the sorting issue (seems like the game was designed around using 16-bit buffering even though the box says 32-bit support so perhaps higher precision sorting breaks it and it only affects color depth)

It seems like the software rendered objects have trouble communicating with D3D with higher precision depth buffering. Hope this helps 😀

Reply 2696 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
JJXB wrote:

Thanks!

Hmm or maybe they didnt even bother to create any.(like shadow buffers shadows that you thought must exist in the beginning of SC1 training level) Our senses say that there should be because this is what should happen in reality.
They simply added a texture there and never looked back.
When you pass near it does the 'visibilty meter' changes. ?
I noticed that this meter is a good indicator if the area was meant to have 'light'.

There are many more problems in SC games.

Coronas/aura not showing fully around light sources ,
Heat haze dependent on the resolution
Lights dimming when we moving furher from them and the reverse
Lights/shadows flickering with mouse movement
Lights visible through textures.

Maybe one day Dege will take a look at these and really check if there are broken features or just lazy coding from devs. One day. 😀

@Dege can the emulation be fine tuned so that the color of the light in SC2 be somewhat like SC1? 😀
At this point i'll take anything than the current result in SC2.

Reply 2699 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stranno wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

I can show you how bad SC2 was ported to PS3. 😀)

Really? I got the trilogy a week ago for 5 bucks in the Store and i thought it was good stuff.

Quality wise, the SC3 port is at Komat level fix.

You can check my detailed report here:
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Some errors there are exactly in the SC3 port. Funny. True, for SC2 port on PS3 i gave up after first level.
Then i only got interested checking the TV station level with the 3 lights on the scene and curtain. What a mess that part is. 😉