VOGONS

Oregon Trail

Topic actions

First post, by Crimson Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So after not having an issue with the first 13 games I run in DOSBox I try to run everyone's favorite from elementary school, Oregon Trail. Instead of dying of syphilis or whatever on the road to the west, I get hit with the error: "Not enough memory." So I go the extra step and do loadfix with 64k of memory, it says the same thing but underneath it adds "64 kb freed." So I raise it to 32 meg, which I know is too much, with the same message adjusted for the amount of RAM. Then I disable XMS and EMS, together and individually. And slow down the cycles. And adjust every other variable, all to no avail.

So what's the trick? What's the secret? What does it want me to do?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, you could try loadfix with a higher value.

Lost my copy long ago so I can't test.

Also, according to the DosBox compatibility page it runs fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Crimson Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went up to 64 meg, and I know for a fact the Apple IIe I ran it on at school or the 486/33 I ran it on at home didn't have an eighth of that (which I tried as a value too), I can't imagine it would require any more.

And the reported compatibility is the reason I bothered you all with this in the first place. It's worked for someone, I just don't seem to know the trick.

Reply 3 of 3, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Crimson Ghost. Hey I like the name, it's from a cool tacky serial from the 1940's, correct?
Anyway, there is a deluxe newer version of this classic that works on Dosbox.
Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• ass.gif
    Filename
    ass.gif
    File size
    38.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception