VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A genre largely associated with Yamaha's capable XG format and tone generators, the following examples demonstrate the latent techno/electronica capabilities of the Roland SC-55 and GS format.

FPM.jpg
Denki Groove - Flash PaPa Menthol
"Denki Biribiri" (first half)
"Denki Biribiri" (second half)

VITAMIN.jpg
Denki Groove - Vitamin
"Popcorn"

DRAGON.jpg
Denki Groove - Dragon
"Niji" (first half)

BTI.jpg
Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite
Guardian Angel

(Now, imagine if something like that had been used in a DOS game soundtrack, and lament, lament...)

Jani Utriainen - Sound Canvas Users Group Vol. 5 submissions
EuroWizz
Evigence

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Pretty impressive for the SC-55, I must say. Some of the synth sounds are eerily similar to the original track.

And @1:48 my brain filled in the missing vocal sample. 😁

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2016-10-06, 02:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 7, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

Pretty impressive for the SC-55, I must say. Some of the synth sound are eerily similar to the original track.

And @1:48 my brain filled in the missing vocal sample. 😁

The track actually includes "Voice Oohs" for the voice samples on part/channel 6, which I took umbrage to, and had to mute on account of it ruining my childhood.

Reply 3 of 7, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and I thought the Descent soundtrack was impressive electronic for the SC-55... these blow those out of the water on the technical level alone. I would LOVE to have the MIDI files of the tracks.

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like these threads, this and the rock one are great - thanks for sharing Cloudschatze !
Do you consider sharing the mid files at some point?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Do you consider sharing the mid files at some point?

It would probably be inappropriate for me to share them, I'm afraid. Other than Jani's compositions, which can be found in the SoundCanvas Users Group Archives, the other MIDI files are still sold by Roland.

beastlike wrote:

Awesome! What cc# is used to modulate the resonance on some of those bass sounds? is that mod-wheel?

The SC-55 doesn't have an explicitly-defined CC or modulation matrix destination for resonance, meaning its control options are limited to NRPNs (CCs 98, 99, and 6), or SysEx. The MIDI files use the former. I can't really speculate as to whether or not an actual mod-wheel-type controller was mapped and used during the programming, but it's certainly a possibility.

Here's a depiction of the SC-55's fairly advanced modulation matrix, where the CC1 and CC2 sources are user-definable:

SC55MM.png