VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2700 of 3949, by Hopefulempath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If this post isn't appropriate here, I apologize in advance. Secondly, thank you for your work.

I decided to see if dgVoodoo 2 would work with Vivanonno, and sure enough it does... almost. It's very exciting to see Ridge Racer 2 in 1080p! However, during the nighttime portion of the various races, most of the track and car textures during the "city" segment disappear/turn black.

missingtextures.jpg
Filename
missingtextures.jpg
File size
116.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Initially an error about "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll" appeared when running Vivanonno, though it didn't appear to actually cause any problems. I did find another D3DCompiler_43.dll which seemed to fix this. I can't find the page where I got this other DLL, but if I do I'll post it.

error.jpg
Filename
error.jpg
File size
30.36 KiB
Views
File license

The MSWARP Output API doesn't have the missing textures issue, but it runs slowly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply 2701 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to say thanks to Dege for Toyland Racing, it finally can be played like a charm (it was one of the most difficult and picky games for me to successfully run on modern pc). Raising rendering resolution for games is a bang, even directdraw ones are crisp and clean.
Wargods + my latest patched exes now run very well, I suggest cranking to hires + antialiasing.

And now the problems:

Dgvoodoo2 2.53 configuration tool doesn't run in my win8.1 x64 + 9600m gt (dx10 card):
I double click on executable and it simply does nothing.

Game bugs:
Air Assault: forced hires don't work (output is a bit blurred compared to other ddraw games)
and there are graphical glitches during menus.
In The Hunt: various glitches like wrong colors and disappearing sprites during gameplay.
Hyper crazy climber: some wrong background colors when using forced high resolution
Suya suya guupii dx: technicolor when fadein or fadeout (forced hires)
Rc de go: Black screen with all config settings, you only hear music/audio.
Forced hires would be cool in this game, similar to House of the dead 2.
Asuka 120% burning fest return: black screen, it hangs. Tried with several settings.

Yeah, I'm an otaku (most probably) 🤣

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2702 of 3949, by CharlieX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having an issue in Star Wars Tie Fighter 1998 edition.
I have tried DGVoodoo 2.52 and 2.53 and the issue I am having is that the mouse cursor is not showing up at all if even if I have Software cursor selected in the Tie Fighter Start Menu.

The mouse buttons still works if I am lucky with where I move the mouse I can press the button to make a selection.
If I copy the original ddraw.dll back the mouse cursor works as it should in the game however the game crashes once a mission starts.

If a mouse wasn't required to navigate the menu I wouldn't care but this prevents me from playing the game.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply 2703 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CharlieX wrote:
I am having an issue in Star Wars Tie Fighter 1998 edition. I have tried DGVoodoo 2.52 and 2.53 and the issue I am having is t […]
Show full quote

I have tried DGVoodoo 2.52 and 2.53 and the issue I am having is that the mouse cursor is not showing up at all if even if I have Software cursor selected in the Tie Fighter Start Menu.

The mouse buttons still works if I am lucky with where I move the mouse I can press the button to make a selection.
If I copy the original ddraw.dll back the mouse cursor works as it should in the game however the game crashes once a mission starts.

If a mouse wasn't required to navigate the menu I wouldn't care but this prevents me from playing the game.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

What happens if you put this batch file

Filename
TieLaunch.zip
File size
149 Bytes
Downloads
103 downloads
File license

into the game directory and use that to launch the game?

From your symptoms I figure you're using the Steam version? In the Steam version you can also enable the softwarecursor this way:

Righight-click on the game under the Library in the Steam client and select Properties. Under the General tab click the "Set lau […]
Show full quote

Righight-click on the game under the Library in the Steam client and select Properties.
Under the General tab click the "Set launch options..." button.
Enter
-softwarecursor
and click on OK.

BTW the game won't crash if you select 8 bit mode in the Tie Fighter config menu.

There are also other wrappers you can try. See http://steamcommunity.com/app/355250/discussi … 12999979153740/

Reply 2704 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The water in Morrowind is now looking like it should with 2.53. However when you enable AA or force higher resolutions lines appear in the water.

FFE67F671566A05BFD1C3576DD64F7C1980A805A

PS: What does the "no filter" option in the config menu do?

EDIT: OK, I looked it up in the Readme. It's the requested feature I forwarded to you. But when I tried it out in Morrowind the game didn't look like that screenshot I posted back then at all.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I had AF forced globally from the driver. Unforunately enabling this option breaks the water again.

Reply 2705 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
daniel_u wrote:

Well if the wrapper does too many cosmetic changes and it changes the original view well that it's not a wrapper. It's a mod. It represents the view of a person and not the view of it's creators.
Take Unreal, a game you like, now if we change something you like since childhood , how would you feel. 😁

It varies from case to case: take house of the dead 2, pc port was crap and I highly doubt max 640x480 and textures without bilinear filtering were what programmers intended or even if... screw that! 🤣

I think a first class wrapper has to include some options to fix problems/upgrade graphics nowadays, like bilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering, antialiasing, forced hires...

A cool feature I'd add for nerds *if possible* is some little info, to be placed near dgvoodoo watermark maybe, about what library game originally used (example: ddraw version x, direct3d vXX.X, gdi...)

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2706 of 3949, by CharlieX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
What happens if you put this batch file […]
Show full quote
CharlieX wrote:
I am having an issue in Star Wars Tie Fighter 1998 edition. I have tried DGVoodoo 2.52 and 2.53 and the issue I am having is t […]
Show full quote

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

What happens if you put this batch file

TieLaunch.zip

into the game directory and use that to launch the game?

From your symptoms I figure you're using the Steam version? In the Steam version you can also enable the softwarecursor this way:

Righight-click on the game under the Library in the Steam client and select Properties. Under the General tab click the "Set lau […]
Show full quote

Righight-click on the game under the Library in the Steam client and select Properties.
Under the General tab click the "Set launch options..." button.
Enter
-softwarecursor
and click on OK.

BTW the game won't crash if you select 8 bit mode in the Tie Fighter config menu.

There are also other wrappers you can try. See http://steamcommunity.com/app/355250/discussi … 12999979153740/

I have the GOG version. But I'll check out your suggestions.

Other wrappers I have already tried have opposite results. In one theeir keyboard would not work but the mouse would. In another the mouse would only work in a window mode with resolution of 640x480 which is too small.

As an fyi the app installed directly from GOG works. I need a wrapper as I am attempting to play it in an NV surround multi monitor setup. With multi monitor and the install straight the GOG site the allocation launches only on the primary monitor. I am trying to stretch it across two screens.

Only thing I am missing is mouse support which I am having the same issue getting it working on another PC with a single monitor.

Reply 2707 of 3949, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having issue with Daytona USA Deluxe, should dgvoodoo 2 work with it once there's a Windows dialog box when quitting the game that effectively makes the game unstartable (instant crash prior entering Sega Sport logo) afterwards. So, it's like the dgvoodoo only works for once.

Reply 2708 of 3949, by Liandri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some issues with DirectDraw games:

Solaris 104:
The game does not launch.
With DDrawCompat wrapper: the game works, BUT it lags every ~1 second.

Bejeweled Deluxe:
Freeze on loading.
With DDrawCompat wrapper: not tested.

Bookworm Adventures Deluxe:
Freeze on loading.
With DDrawCompat wrapper: not tested.

Ricochet Xtreme:
Mouse clicks not always registering properly when in main menu. E.g., I'm clicking through Options -> About Ricochet -> Close -> About Ricochet -> Close etc. and in 50% cases I have to click twice or more to really get the button working.
With DDrawCompat wrapper: there is no such problem.

Ricochet Infinity:
When switching from Fullscreen to Windowed mode, the real resolution gets scaled down. It seems that something forces the game to be 800x600 with window borders included. I've read about it in readme, but not sure if I understand it right - is this a known issue that does not need to be fixed?
With DDrawCompat wrapper: the game does not switch to Windowed mode properly at all.

Also, I've been thinking about how I would like to play some old games. 640x480 is rather low, even for fullscreen mode. Is there a way to launch games in window with a pre-defined scale? For example, to play some old 640x480 fullscreen game in a 1280x960 window? I know it's possible to resize windows by hand, but I'd like it to be done automatically. Maybe it's possibly to apply some additional filtering/blending too? Please let me know if it's possible.

Reply 2709 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can already do that in dgVoodoo2. See "resolution" in DX tab. Remember to set the proper scaling mod in the first tab too.
My choice for old 4:3 games: centered 1440x1080 (custom resolution created through GPU driver control panel).

2D elements can behave wrong (HUD, etc.) forcing high resolutions.
Stretching 1024x768/1280x960 to fullscreen maintaining the aspect ratio is sometimes the best choice.

Reply 2711 of 3949, by Liandri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing Ricochet Xtreme for now. Here is a major issue I've found: Lag. I've realized that mouse clicks problem (described in my previous post) is part of this issue. The lag is there from the very start, even though the rendering is at 60 FPS. The mouse cursor itself somewhat lags too. But the most visible issue with this is how ship moves when controlled. Normally, its movement should be silky smooth. With dgVoodoo 2 it's laggy, almost feels like 58-59 FPS. If I use Alt+Tab and switch back to game, it's silky smooth but only for a mere minutes, I don't know what exactly triggers it again. With DDrawCompat, there is no such problem.

lowenz wrote:

You can already do that in dgVoodoo2. See "resolution" in DX tab. Remember to set the proper scaling mod in the first tab too.

Thanks, I've tried forcing resolution. It worked but with issues:
Again, with Ricochet Xtreme: when I force the game into windowed mode, with any resolution, it becomes capped at 50 FPS. I was unable to solve this.

lowenz wrote:

My choice for old 4:3 games: centered 1440x1080 (custom resolution created through GPU driver control panel).

Do you mean GPU scaling? In that case, it's not much different from monitor scaling, I guess. But it still acts as low resolution fullscreen mode, and I'd like it to act as a window with a bigger resolution instead.

EDIT: I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 and R290X.

Reply 2712 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@JJXB: Thanks a lot for your videos!! Now we know how SC1 looked on a GF4 chipset.
I'll made the changes in dgVoodoo. (But I still prefer the current looke to the GF4 one, so I might add a GeForce FX xxxx card type just because of that... 😁 😁 😁)

@Teleguy:
Water in Morrowind is rendered by the same technique as in SC1. Forcing AA or resolution causes glitches at the edge of water textures.

Guys, thanks for the other reports.
Unfortunately I have to put off dgVoodoo for a while because of other works that are going to (at least, they seem to) consume all my time. 🙁

Reply 2714 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Unfortunately I have to put off dgVoodoo for a while because of other works that are going to (at least, they seem to) consume all my time. 🙁

Oh nooo!! Right now that dgvoodoo2 began to grow on me! 😢

Reply 2715 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing I just found: you can play Baku Baku Animal (Win95 Sega game) on Win10 with the MS Direct3D wrapper dlls, however all the colours are wrong (as you have to set the game to 256 colours to start it) 😒

Oh and Rally Masters works with 2.5 but 2.52 and 2.53 leaves most textures white...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2716 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:
Dege wrote:

Oh nooo!! Right now that dgvoodoo2 began to grow on me! 😢

Not forever, just for a while. 😀

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

One thing I just found: you can play Baku Baku Animal (Win95 Sega game) on Win10 with the MS Direct3D wrapper dlls, however all the colours are wrong (as you have to set the game to 256 colours to start it) 😒

Oh and Rally Masters works with 2.5 but 2.52 and 2.53 leaves most textures white...

In 2.51 I added new texture formats (A8, L8, A8L8 for internal virtual 3D card and L8, A8L8 for ATI Radeon 8500) which the game doesn't like (didn't yet traced down the reason).
However it can be played with the GeForce Ti4800 preset (I've just quicktried it).

Reply 2718 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I read you abundantly talked about Motoracer (1). Am I the only one who had to manually patch (hexediting) 3.22 exe to bypass "16 bit screen mode required" popup error? Setting screen mode to 16 bit did nothing: if I put dgvoodoo2 files and I run the game it keeps nagging with that error. This is weird as shit!

I don't own gog or other recent re-editions. I use vanilla cdrom from the nineties + official data disk & patch.
Windows 7 x64.

Reply 2719 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just been playing with Colin McRae Rally via dgVoodoo2, and noticed that there's no fog in the game (a bit like Shadows Of The Empire) 🙁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor