VOGONS

First post, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: Sorry if I should not have bumped this. I replaced the keyboard membrane and the computer is now fully working! Thank you for your replies!

I am literally speechless. In my country there are a ton of regulations when it comes to getting stuff out of the dump. You need special permits. So my permit says I can take 4 computers max. This summer I got 3, they were nothing special to be honest. A Laser 486 server, a Mac Performa (which was dead) and a Compaq 386 which was also dead (I posted about it here).

So today I went to throw out some of my stuff (faulty motherboards and monitors) and there were only five computers because apparently, many of them had already been scrapped. They were all generic P4s, too modern for my liking, plus I have tons of them already.

Just as we were leaving, I spot this red box, it was not with the other PCs, but with sound and video stuff (players, VCRs etc). Since the box had stuff on it, I couldn't really see what was written on it. As soon as I spotted "um 128" I knew what it was. I quickly told my father, "We might have hit the jackpot!". I remove the stuff that was on it and unwrap the box. Remove one of the polystyrene halves and VIOLA! A Spectrum+ 128K! I think it needs a new keyboard membrane.

IMG_20161017_153137.jpg

IMG_20161017_145317.jpg

IMG_20161017_145300.jpg

Last edited by Munwele on 2016-10-30, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. What country do you live in? Let me guess, it doesn't rank too highly on the Index of Economic Freedom.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 18, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

Is that Bomb Jack?

Yes, it is 😀

keenmaster486 wrote:

Interesting. What country do you live in? Let me guess, it doesn't rank too highly on the Index of Economic Freedom.

Malta.

kixs wrote:

This one hasn't seen much use... nice find 😁

It'd been sitting in the box for quite some time, in fact, the plastic has reacted with the polystyrene!

Reply 6 of 18, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Even got the box! That's pretty damn cool indeed

Sorry for replying separately. YES, that's what I thought, I even got the box! This is my first ever Spectrum, that I found in the DUMP, and it came with the box and the original polystyrene!

Reply 7 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! There's also a GUI for this model, called doors.

Perhaps it will even run SymbOS one day, who knows ? 😀

http://www.symbos.de/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This has captured my imagination for some reason so did a bit of reading up and found this for loading games via sound files rather then tape.
http://mrpjevans.com/2013/04/load-zx-spectrum … ames-in-seconds
Keen to see this thing live again 😀

Reply 9 of 18, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That particular model You have is referred to as the "Toast rack" and is the most high valued model it seems on Ebay. I am no expert on Speccy's but
I think that model didn't last long before Amstrad (Who bought out Sinclair) released the +2 version, making the "Toast rack" reasonably rare as well as
the last model designed and made by Sinclair.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 11 of 18, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, that is the computer I learned to code on. I would LOVE to get one of those. Unfortunately the 128k+ is so damn hard to find. Any other model is ok but this one not... 🙁

Congrats on your find!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 16 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

That particular model You have is referred to as the "Toast rack" and is the most high valued model it seems on Ebay. I am no expert on Speccy's but
I think that model didn't last long before Amstrad (Who bought out Sinclair) released the +2 version, making the "Toast rack" reasonably rare as well as
the last model designed and made by Sinclair.

That's the second high valued one.

The most valued is the spanish 128k toastrack because it shipped with an auxiliar numeric keypad, and the ROM was different (it had no menus). This is one of those rare cases where the non-english model was shipped before the english one.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 17 of 18, by cuba200611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's the other cassette (besides the obviously pirated version of Bomb Jack) holding?

There's a website called World of Spectrum that holds a crapton of games that can be legally downloaded. The owners of the website ask the creators of the games (or the companies that now own the creators) for permission to distribute their games freely. There are exceptions, most notably Ultimate, which became Rare, which was bought out by Microsoft.

You can then obtain a TZX to WAV converter to convert the tape files into audio files that can be played back directly to the Spectrum from your computer via a 3.5mm audio cable.

EDIT: Oh, and the trick that you linked above, chinny22, only works on tapes that use the standard loader. So games that use Speedlock (most Ocean/Imagine games), Alcatraz (most US Gold 48k games), etc. do not work.

Reply 18 of 18, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cuba200611 wrote:
What's the other cassette (besides the obviously pirated version of Bomb Jack) holding? […]
Show full quote

What's the other cassette (besides the obviously pirated version of Bomb Jack) holding?

There's a website called World of Spectrum that holds a crapton of games that can be legally downloaded. The owners of the website ask the creators of the games (or the companies that now own the creators) for permission to distribute their games freely. There are exceptions, most notably Ultimate, which became Rare, which was bought out by Microsoft.

You can then obtain a TZX to WAV converter to convert the tape files into audio files that can be played back directly to the Spectrum from your computer via a 3.5mm audio cable.

EDIT: Oh, and the trick that you linked above, chinny22, only works on tapes that use the standard loader. So games that use Speedlock (most Ocean/Imagine games), Alcatraz (most US Gold 48k games), etc. do not work.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The other tape is Daley Thompson's Supertest by Ocean Software.