VOGONS

First post, by Akril15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play the CD version of Goblin's Quest 3. It runs fairly well under VDMSound, but there is absolutely no ambient music/sound. The sound effects play just fine, and there is music in the cutscenes, but no ambient music in the individual screens.

The unusual thing is that I also have the Gobliins 2 CD, and it plays ambient music/sound perfectly, so I don't understand why GQ3 is having this problem, since the two games are so similar.

I have tried changing the "SOUND:BLASTER+MEDIA" line in the GQ3 MDO.DEF file to "SOUND:BLASTER+MEDIA+NOSOUND+ADLIB+NOMDO" (since the G2 MDO.DEF file's line was like that), but that didn't help matters any.

Any tips on getting this game to work properly in VDMSound?

-Akril

Windows XP
Intel Pentium III Processor
730 Mhz, 512 MB RAM
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller

Reply 2 of 5, by Akril15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If by using the sapucdex CD driver you mean having "SAPUCDEX" typed into the AUTOEXEC.BAT options box under the DOS Environment tab under Advanced Properties, I've tried that. No difference, though.

Akril.

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He is using VDMSound not DOSBox. It is odd since the game works perfectly for me with VDMS and SAPUCDEX. His game's config is identical to mine and Gobliins 2, a game that uses the same engine and setup, works fine on his machine.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by DooMStalK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try putting the full path of SAPUCDEX into your autoexec. For example, I installed it with VDMSound, so I have my autoexec point to "C:\Progra~1\VDMSound\SAPUCDEX.EXE".

That being said, I've got issues of my own. The game gets rather choppy whenever there's more than one sample being played at once. I can't remember if this is the game itself, or a VDMSound/Sapucdex issue. If its the latter, can anyone give me any tips on how to fix it?

Edit: it went away when I turned off music, so I guess it's Sapucdex's doing.