VOGONS

ASP403 - The Neverending Project

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 178, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I for one can wait but I am looking forward to it.

I hope all goes well for you!

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 141 of 178, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably have everything here but I'm quite good at "curating" files. I've collated absolutely every technical download that I could find with valid links including the technical drawings someone posted years ago.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ho41iL0Tc … YkN1a1QyM0xHcGM (about 50mb)

I also found elsewhere an "RPM" linux install of the v1.1.2 Linux driver and thought this could be handy to someone:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ho41iL0Tc … d2VVZHNUaDFOcFU (250kb)

...I really hope there is something helpful in there for you. It's a bit alien to me but I collected absolutely everything including rediscovering the sigmatel 701 + 708 docs.

Reply 142 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
betamax80 wrote:

I've collated absolutely every technical download that I could find with valid links including the technical drawings someone posted years ago.

Yeah Manuel Janders efforts were really great back on 03. However his documentation was less than exact and contained many Many errors, but was definitely a best effort given the major lack of documentation.

Thanks for keeping interested in the project guys, these cards are majorly fun to play around with so far.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2017-11-23, 10:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 143 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious - is it possible that re-opening donations could help you with the project? 😀
If so, I'm willing to make one!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 144 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, but for now I want everyone to just hold on a bit, I'm fervently trying to improve many personal matters and I simply can't spend time on the project just yet.
I do make really quick progress when I am working on it, so I'm confident on releasing something before I re-open the donations.
😁

Reply 145 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great, crossing fingers for you! 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 146 of 178, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ZanQuance. I've actually had a bit of a similar time, having had an interruption in studies. My retro computer interest is very much my hobby though. I understand how tough it is to motivate yourself through depression, and am so happy to hear that you have found your soulmate thats wonderful!

I'm so interested to learn something about driver development. I haven't been a programmer before but I am motivated enough - can you recommend any books which would be a crash course in driver development? Now I have my SQ2500 I wan't to help you!

By the way my findings under windows xp - the VERY BEST driver for reliability seems to be the final official Win2k driver 5.12.2559 (more than the "beta" driver which seems to be these exact same 08/08/2000 drivers with an "inf" mod - and isn't good). I do not know if DS3D or actual A3D 2.0 are being used but I'm finding about 90% compatibility with games. I've also successfully connected a "Saitek Cyborg 3D Digital" joystick to the gamepad - minus the "F" buttons (so effectively a "Cyborg 2000" - I would say thats about as extreme a joystick as the built-in windows driver supports and I am impressed! NO SUCCESS with original Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro - I've learnt the hard way to avoid any sticks with seperate power as they seem to have unconventional gameport settings.

I've found a new old stock Logitech Wingman Exteme Digital 3D which has that memorable "look" to it - I hope that maybe some wingman profiles work, or at least it's good with the XP driver, as this saitek is sadly a bit "well used" in many ways, but was a great £3 proof of concept. I'm looking forware to my dreamblaster s1 "black" on the way so I can look as your DOS app, maybe in dosbox?

Thanks for keeping an interest in the project through everything.

BTW my CD was v4.021 with Voyetra Audiostation32 - Lucky me eh! I've made an ISO on my google drive - not sure but think it's 1 point release newer than whats out there.

Reply 147 of 178, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forgot to say in terms of configuring, I found the Quantex Zone XP Patch + Control Panel update to work pretty much flawlessly - and I like these because they are carefully modified original Aureal apps rather than a hack-in. I think files would be perfect to integrate into any new windows driver build if the "hooks" still work. "au30patch.exe" and "au30xp.exe" from 2003 vintage.

Reply 149 of 178, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I've caught the bug, even without the room. I've got 3 Socket A motherboards on ebay-watch due to good pricing, for Windows 98 SE goodness. A Biostar VIA KM266 model, a PC Chips VIA KT266A system (a retail PC Chips board - this will bring back memories!) and fingers crossed an ASRock SiS 741GX based board which I understand could be the more compatible option. I think the 74x series were pretty much the last retail channel SiS chipset, and after using so many PC Chips Socket 7 boards with their earlier designs could be interesting! My biggest barrier at the moment seems to be an appropriate case and power supply, I'm looking down both barrels of £45 for a full-desktop type case (seems to be whats left!) of appropriate era with correct PSU connections.

Reply 151 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any news so far?

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 152 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, sorry for the question that might be slightly off topic, but do you have ANY Aureal/A3D/Vortex-related artwork? Logos (especially in vector), box art, etc. would be very much appreciated!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 154 of 178, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both, but would very much prefer the original stuff.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 155 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been absent due to personal matters and will return when I can, I'm not living in an area that is conducive to this hobbyist project.
I'll get things up and going again when I can, all I can do is apologize for not getting back to everyone sooner on this. I had a major anxiety attack yesterday that is really messing everything up for me mentally, so I'll post again when I am feeling better and back to work on this again.

Until then the project is on pause still.

Reply 157 of 178, by Lifeisstrange74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:

I've been absent due to personal matters and will return when I can, I'm not living in an area that is conducive to this hobbyist project.
I'll get things up and going again when I can, all I can do is apologize for not getting back to everyone sooner on this. I had a major anxiety attack yesterday that is really messing everything up for me mentally, so I'll post again when I am feeling better and back to work on this again.

Until then the project is on pause still.

Hey ZanQuance, you doing ok?

Reply 158 of 178, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah actually, thanks for checking in on me. I'm getting married Tues and have been busy getting all that prepared.
I will be making a progress update on the project here afterwards 😉
Till then ttfn

Reply 159 of 178, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZanQuance wrote:

Yeah actually, thanks for checking in on me. I'm getting married Tues and have been busy getting all that prepared.
I will be making a progress update on the project here afterwards 😉
Till then ttfn

Congratulations! I sincerely hope she supports your computing projects! 🤣

(Seriously though, be happy, don't worry about this stuff. 😀)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.