VOGONS

Microprocessor change. Heatsink also?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

In a few days I am going to swap my current Athlon XP 1800+ for a brand new Athlon XP 2800+ - The real difference in speed, if I am not mistaken is:

XP 1800+ = 133 Mhz (Bus speed) * 11 (multiplier) = 1500 Mhz
XP 2800+ = 133 Mhz (Bus speed) * 15 (multiplier) = 2000 Mhz

Will I need to change the fan/heatsink? That's the first time I upgrade my microprocessor. The bios has an option for monitoring CPU temperature. Which is the maximum allowable safe temperature value for a XP 2800+?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With my XP 2800 I get temps around 52C at idle . Probly lower 60-65 under load.

Case temp 24C

This is with a heatsink and a fan I had laying around. Can't remember the RPM's. MBM says 7500.

Here's a link I found which my temps seem pretty common : http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/25247/

Your old fan/heatsink should be fine.

Most of those guys have pretty good cooling so you'll see some good idle temps. I've been running mine with the same heatsink/fan since Aug 2002?? and it's still running good.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much DosFreak. Your help is appreciated. I will check idle temperatures when I arrive home and I will write them down. After swapping microprocessor and using it for a few hours, I will compare current temperatures just to be sure.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

With my XP 2800 I get temps around 52C at idle . Probly lower 60-65 under load.

Whoa! That's pretty hot for me. I know I can not trust the 0.2 cent temperatur sensors to be accurate, but when my XP 2600+ is idling the temperature is around 44'C.

When it is running at 100% my single, combined CPU & case has no problem keeping the CPU temperature at 52'C.

And it is not like I have huge water cooled monster case with 120 mm fans. My case is one of those compact, cluttered Small Form Factor (SFF) Shuttle boxes the size of a shoebox. I have even replaced the noisy Sunon fan with a slower and quieter Papst fan, yet it still manages to cool the CPU and case nicely.

I should add, that I have installed the latest version SpeedFan - a truely execellent program! It monitors temperatures and automagically adjust the fan speed as needed, and it also monitors CPU usage and lowers the CPU speed when CPU usage has remained low for a preset period.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blast it! delivery has been delayed until Apr, 6th... 😢 😠

Anyway, I have looked bios info and my XP 1800+ is about 52ºC after 7 hours of continous work.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 5 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Athlon XP 3200+ (not overclocked) runs at around 58C under a light (~20%) load using an average-quality aftermarket fan+heatsink cooler. It ran about 10 degrees hotter until I changed the thermal grease to Arctic Silver (roommate had some lying around).

My problem is that my motherboard doesn't have mounting holes around the CPU socket, and all the new decent coolers require them. So, I'm stuck with the one I got. Seems to run stable though, even under heavy load.

Reply 7 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I know my proc is running fairly hot, just never got around to getting a better heatsink/fan and over time just didn't really care that much! It's amazing how much your enthusiasm can fade over time for PC hardware perfection. Before 2002 I'd always stay current on PC hardware and make sure that I had the best hardware/cooling I could get, after 2002 I was like...shrug...it works....who cares? heh. Hopefully that'll change when I get a job and build a new comp, don't feel like messing with my current one.

Just checked SpeedFan and it's reporting the same CPU temps as MBM so it's probly pretty accurate. I was using the Nforce 2 C2 idle hack previously which got me a little bit lower idle temp but I think I removed it.

Reply 8 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover: You should definitely mount a couple of cheap case fans for so extra airflow. I have 3 cheap fans in my case and there is only about 4 degrees of difference between having the side panel on or off (If I Remember Correctly).

DosFreak: I started out not caring about that stuff at all, but between having a disposable income and being influenced by my roommate who really likes hardware modding, I'm a little more interested in those things. The problem now is that I don't have as much time to mess with that kind of stuff.

I tried that nForce idle thing, and it didn't do much of anything for my temps. I used a similar thing called S2KCtrl on my previous board (VIA) and it made my sound scratchy, so I disabled the nForce one to avoid any similar problems.

Reply 10 of 17, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

k well in xp cpu's you have like 3 main kinds

thoroughbred A core "first verssion" max vcore 1.5v
max core speed 1600 mgz ...

thoroughbred B core "superons & most of the xp cpu line" max vcore 1.6v

barton cores. 512 level 2 cash ram. final version of the xp-m cpu line and xp cpu line
max vcore 1.65 .

btw keep in mine the superons are rated at +400 amd pr points vs prue xp cpu's

exaple
amd k7 xp superon 2400+ and a strate amd k7 xp 2000+ = same thing same cpu core same thoroghbred B
i would all so not think of amd cpu's in 2000+ or 3000+.it got very bugus on that level at one point...better off looking at the cpu's in mgz

as for fsb speed and multiplier
max out your fsb and lower your multiplier as mouch as posable

as for cpu temps well only temp that mater are the loaded ones. idle temps do not mean all that mouch unless you see the temp spike like mad under load then that means you cpu coller\case fans suck and are way to small to deal with the heat of the cpu

btw it only takes like 3 min to loadup a cpu and hit max temp under load .10 min if you want to play it save

as for heat well 85 c is max for most of the xp cpu line
the xp-m is rated to be able to deal with 100c .xp-m barton core are laptop cpu's
btw thos are max termal temps and if you hit em you cpu dies from termal death
anything over 60c sets off red alert statis on my pc...i have a setting in my bios were my pc speaker will start screeming if my cpu hits 60c

my pc holds 50~55 c "off internal termal diode" at 2350 mgz at 430 fsb 1.75 vcore vots 11x multiplier .i can push it faster ...some times i run it slower...depends on how mouch dust is in my heat sink...i use a TT volcano 6+ with twin 80mm case fans right on the side of my case.one right on top of my cpu the outer right on top of my video card\pci slots

btw snover all most 70c is way to hot ...lower you cpu speed and or vcore votes or biger heat sink\more case fans etc ....id be freeking out if my pc was at 70c for a amd cpu & theirs a diffence from external diode and internal diode temps...ones internel in the cpu and one is built on to the motherbord ....if you are reading 70c from an extranal temp diode that means you cpu could be at 80c and not 70c ...

off topic side note
ya i know iv bin playing online games for a little too long and the chat lobys in most game rooms are evil at times with what poeple say to eatchouter..its made me a bit of a punk when i say stuff...i know iv bin a bit hardcore on this forium with some of my posts ...
id just like to say one thing
"peace"

Reply 11 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoa, slow down there buddy. First of all, might I suggest this handy extension. Also, a hard whipping by a grammar teacher would be a good idea. If you want anyone to take you seriously, don't type like a 4-year-old.

Second of all. It's a "SEMPRON", not a "SUPERON".

Third of all, I don't fuck around with my multipliers. All my equipment is stock. My CPU does not actually reach 70C, and I'm not a "l33t c453m0dd3r d00d", so I don't have any external temperature diodes, or fancy fan adjusters, or lame CCD bulbs.

All of my temperature readings are taken directly off the internal temperature sensors for the equipment. I have ASUSProbe set up to monitor and alert if the CPU reaches its warning temperature. The thermal limit for this CPU is 70C. Thermal limits for older Athlon XPs is 80-90C, as stated. I know that the problem with heat in my system is related to poor case airflow, and am planning on adding a 120mm fan to the top of the case to deal with that issue sometime in the near future. CPUs don't need to run at extremely low temperatures in order to be safe, though it helps. I was going for a quiet system, not one that ran the CPU at 30C under full load. I tested with Prime95 to ensure that the CPU would not overheat even under extreme loads -- and that's without the additional outtake.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 17, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw spelling not my good side..what can i say. no need to rub it in my fase and be an ass a bout it

btw both sencers for the temp are off the internals

All of my temperature readings are taken directly off the internal temperature sensors for the equipment

ones built in to the cpu core and one built in to the mobo ....duh
do you know were your temp reading is comeing from ?

i dont have any fancy stuff on my computer too relly .my case was made like 15 years a go
its a 486 server case all most 3" tall ^^
i moded it to take newer hardwere
its freeking big ..lots a space in it for adding stuff or working on the pc hehe

CPUs don't need to run at extremely low temperatures in order to be safe

ture but heat is like rps...the lower the better if you dont want problems and if you want it to last...anything over 50c is asking for problems 40c under load is were you want it not freaking 70c 🤣

you wouldn't want your car runing at 9000 rps all day would you ? might be bad for the engen ...cpu heat the same way .even if you have no problems but your close to the limit your asking for problems down the road

hay what do i know hu ...iv only bin doing this for 20 years 😜

If you want anyone to take you seriously, know what your talking a bout 4-year-old.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html

dam is a shaim you poeple dont know how to overclock cus all cpu's made with the same core are the same cpus .it maters not if its a 1500+ or a 2400+ if its the same cpu core is the same cpu and all cpu have a max speed thay can hit...knowing what that speed is is the key to safely overclock a cpu...then theirs overclocking a cpu past max rated speed hehe

and i was trying to be a nice guy...till some one had to start something

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You say you've been doing this for 20 years, yet you want people to go to Tom's Hardware?

ROFLMAO!

Thanks man, that just made by day. 😁

I would pick apart your posts, but as Snover noted the spelling is atrocious and makes my head hurt.

Your so quick to see other's posts as being inflamatory when you yourself post posts that are much worse.

Chill out dude.

Reply 14 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Poor, poor n00bs, when will you learn not to act like fools...

old_school_dude wrote:

btw spelling not my good side..what can i say. no need to rub it in my fase and be an ass a bout it

When you are attempting to communicate using a written medium, you might consider following the rules of the language. They are there for a reason.

old_school_dude wrote:

ones built in to the cpu core and one built in to the mobo ....duh
do you know were your temp reading is comeing from ?

I believe I already answered this question. From the internal sensors. And you know, they're even being labeled now, imagine that. "CPU", "System", "GPU". "....duh"

«snip irrelevant crap about using a desktop-style case, nobody cares»

old_school_dude wrote:

hay what do i know hu ...iv only bin doing this for 20 years 😜

There are many people that have been in politics for 20 years... but they still suck at it. (Replace "politics" with any other field and this comment will still be true.)

old_school_dude wrote:

If you want anyone to take you seriously, know what your talking a bout 4-year-old.

Whoa, did I say that?
Oh wait, no I didn't!
I said,

Snover wrote:

If you want anyone to take you seriously, don't type like a 4-year-old.

Trying to take my words out of context, neglecting to remember the fact that they are written verbatim just a few lines above, and then butchering the English language some more to boot, does not earn you any street cred here, pal.

old_school_dude wrote:

This is an article discussing the poor design of the Intel Pentium 4 and how it throttles itself back to avoid heat damage -- at 75℃. How this is at all relevant to my non-overheating AMD Athlon64 processor running 50-70℃ in a case with known insufficient air throughput is beyond me.

old_school_dude wrote:

dam is a shaim you poeple dont know how to overclock cus all cpu's made with the same core are the same cpus .it maters not if its a 1500+ or a 2400+ if its the same cpu core is the same cpu and all cpu have a max speed thay can hit...knowing what that speed is is the key to safely overclock a cpu...then theirs overclocking a cpu past max rated speed hehe

I'm a big proponent of not being a complete fuckwad and try to avoid destroying my shit in order to gain a little more speed that I absolutely do not need. Many processors, while using the same core, are rated at lower speeds because they are flawed and cannot perform reliably at higher speeds. This is basic microchip fabrication 101. Not all the companies are out to game you by making faster chips cost more. They sell the low-yield 'perfect' chips at a premium and discount the flawed ones to recoup costs.

old_school_dude wrote:

and i was trying to be a nice guy...till some one had to start something

Nobody likes a smartass.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 17, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
off topic side note ya i know iv bin playing online games for a little too long and the chat lobys in most game rooms are evil a […]
Show full quote

off topic side note
ya i know iv bin playing online games for a little too long and the chat lobys in most game rooms are evil at times with what poeple say to eatchouter..its made me a bit of a punk when i say stuff...i know iv bin a bit hardcore on this forium with some of my posts ...
id just like to say one thing
"peace"

i was trying to "chill out" dosfreek till snover went looking for problems

snover
their are 2 for the cpu but all most all motherbords use only one fool .too bad your little brain can't understand that even when i tell it to you twice

I'm a big proponent of not being a complete fuckwad and try to avoid destroying my shit in order to gain a little more speed that I absolutely do not need. Many processors, while using the same core, are rated at lower speeds because they are flawed and cannot perform reliably at higher speeds. This is basic microchip fabrication 101. Not all the companies are out to game you by making faster chips cost more. They sell the low-yield 'perfect' chips at a premium and discount the flawed ones to recoup costs.

your all ready killing your cpu off moron becuse all cpu have all most the same termal limit thats why i used the link that i did

too bad your too brainless to figer it out

and the low-yield chips are some times "perfct" only way to test em is to do what thay do at the chip shop...and thats to bring the cpu up to the max speed it can take and see if it can take it. its all ways 100% save to try it if your not a fucking moron runing your cpu at like 70~80 c like you

too bad your little brain can't understand that even when i tell it to you twice

Nobody likes a smartass.

then dont act like one fuck head

Poor, poor n00bs, when will you learn not to act like fools...

when it comes to hardwere you reak of noob snover

Reply 17 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww, I was having so much fun! I was just about to point out that the only boards that have 2 readable temperature sensors are ones that feature their own thermistor under the CPU socket (this is, by the way, impossible on a Socket 939 board), and that the in-core auxiliary temperature sensors for Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 chips are not actually readable and are used only for emergency internal shutdown! (They are basically trips -- you can't get a measured temperature out of them.) I was also going to point out that yes, you can kill a CPU by attempting to overclock it. But oh well.

Received: from vogons by Private Messaging system From: old_school_dude To: Snover Subject: fuck you little man Date: Tue, 05 Ap […]
Show full quote

Received: from vogons by Private Messaging system
To: Snover
Subject: fuck you little man
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 07:58:00 +0000

fuck off

Yes, it’s my fault.