VOGONS

My new toy!

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

photos and system specs will fallow shortly, still setting it up.

according to boot timer this system boots in 24 seconds inducing log in time

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-23, 05:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

dual 6 core opteron? I miss my 2439s.

Yep! Two 2419 EE . Trying to get 32gb of ram working right now. Oddly the latest bios update say it adds both 800mhz ram and 32gb support, but it's not quite right.
Can't get ram speeds over 400mhz or dual Chanel ram working with 32gb. Might have to settle for 16gb.
Oddly the bios shows only 24gb when 32gb is installed. The OS can see/use it all but prefomes drops with 32gb installed.

Edit:
And the ram check at boot is a pain in the rear. No way to disable it ether.

Reply 5 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an impressive block of fans. I bet you could ventilate your living room with that thing.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 14, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What case you using for that PC ? And what programs/games you using there?

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 7 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tiger433 wrote:

What case you using for that PC ? And what programs/games you using there?

Old Intel server case from around 2003. It has a lot of fans in it. 11 to be exact. And one fan slot is empty.
As for its use. It will be mostly a game server with eatch game ran in a vm.

Also found out my ram problem. Had a dead stick. The board must have the ability to kill a ram channel if a stick is dead.

Reply 8 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Surprisingly, thats a common feature. Look at the log in the bios, it was probably bitching about the ram there.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Surprisingly, thats a common feature. Look at the log in the bios, it was probably bitching about the ram there.

Yeah, I just did not expect it for my board. It's not a server board. More of a high end workstation/gaming Motherboard.

Now to get the second 9800gt working. Got a conflict with it.

Reply 10 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice rig, those heatsinks fit perfectly. 😀

Btw - it is surprising to see this board running hexacores. As far as I know they are not officially supported and therefore shouldn't work because of VRM design. So maybe there is a chance of running Istanbul Opteron on my Tyan socket F board. Or go the easy way and use socket G34 platform instead... more cores and price more or less the same. 😈

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I was a little surprised that they worked. The bios that came with it arn't even listed on msi site, maybe that has something to do with it? It's also the speedster2 version

Edit:
Bios 2.0 add support Istanbul quads. The board came with v2.1
I would have gone g34 but this board is the closes thing to the quad phenom 4x4+ Platform.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-25, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I was a little supersized that they worked.

I hate it when that happens cause I have to wait until I deflate to actually use the computer.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I really need to stop posting from my phone.

Anyway the conflict with the second 9800 was with the pcie bus it was on. And I can't do anything to fix it. and eax does not work right in 2003 64bit so I upgraded to 2008. Should be a much better system with 2008. I only tried 2003 hoping eax would work. DX9 did not even work right in 2003 64bit.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-26, 06:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Got server 08 running. Not to bad. I also found out why I could not get a second video card working.
Oddly something with cards newer then 7xxx can't be used in sli at all in the board. The board has a fixed pnp and one can't manually set recourses. And something with newer cards prevent them from us ring the same I/O and memory addressing as the pcie buss. Or so I read.

Makes since.
Tomorrow I'll get the ut99 server back up.