VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A friend of mine asked me if anyone had any recommendation about what driver to use for this particular graphics card. OS is WinXP.

Last time he spend several days messing around with drivers and BIOS settings and trying different boards and he ended up having to give up as he couldn't get the HD2600XT to work.
His platform is sA but he had several boards to choose from and advice about whatever BIOS settings are relevant are of course also welcome.

Any golden hints? (except throwing the card in the trash please 🤣)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to the manufactures website, the AGP DX10 cards are notriously bad at accepting the standard drives and the 2600XT was the worst offender of all the DX10 AgP cards

Reply 2 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe one of these AGP Hotfix drivers?

http://support.amd.com/de-de/kb-articles/Page … tAGPHotfix.aspx

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 9, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used forced install from standard drivers, and they worked fine.
For compatibility reasons, I used Catalyst 10.2 driver (with v9.1 and v12.1 as "backup").

"Forced install" :
You let installer unpack to AMD folder. After it's done, exit driver installer and go to Device Manager.
GPU's => Your unknown/VGA standard card's propreties => Update driver => Manual installation => Browse to AMD folder installer created and find Video driver folder.
Select file with driver info from it, and then pick "HD2600 XT" from list of GPU's.
Confirm installation of manually selected driver and after it's done, restart Windows.

You may need to do manual installation twice (since sometimes there is "Secondary" GPU found by device manager).

At the end, it should look like this (GPU-z window) :

3DMark 03 HD 2600 XT 512MB mini.PNG
Filename
3DMark 03 HD 2600 XT 512MB mini.PNG
File size
351.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Good luck 😀

PS. Bit of warning : If you pick wrong driver (or the one you pick won't be compatible with your exact card), you will have to enter Safe Mode and delete faulty driver manually.
Protip : Check how to enter Safe Mode, BEFORE you start tinkering with force driver installation.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2017-01-05, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers Candle, Phil and Agent! As soon as he's awake again I will relay everything to him. He probably spend all night and morning getting it to run (again 🤣, poor bastard).

Btw, would Windows 7 32-bit make any difference when it comes to successfully getting these HD2600XTs to run?

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Cheers Candle, Phil and Agent! As soon as he's awake again I will relay everything to him. He probably spend all night and morning getting it to run (again 🤣, poor bastard).

Btw, would Windows 7 32-bit make any difference when it comes to successfully getting these HD2600XTs to run?

not the AGP card, it was never an AMD Design it was a manufacture design using the x1950Pro Raltio Chip instead of the newer revision made for the 3850/4650/4670

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks heaps! I had him read this thread and he was impressed by the lot of you 😁
He had already given up (again 🤣) but he might try the 10.2 driver and perhaps on another motherboard.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He ended up giving up again without having given the 10.2 driver a chance.
I told him it might as well be the motherboard or some BIOS setting, so I told him I'd give my own 2600XT a try on something like s478 or an A64 system when the time comes.

I also have a Pro, but no idea if these are any different when it comes to driver hell 🤣

Cheers all!

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We did actually mention throwing it out, but that was mainly for fun 😜
We talked about it and I offered to try my own 2600XT (both the same Sapphires) on some of my other motherboards and I also offered him to do a visual inspection of the card for any obvious or harder-to-see damages (he knows I'm pretty good with that).

Perhaps it will work on another board, but I suppose its use is pretty limited as things seem to stand right now.

Report spammers here!