VOGONS

Common searches

Help :(

Topic actions

First post, by Lecia83

User metadata

Hello 😀

Well, here's the deal, I found the abandonia website and desperately want to play EcoQuest 2. I downloaded DosBox, and I just tried to drag the INSTALL.EXE file into the DosBox program. The message says:

"Can't find text entry for 'videoPrompt.' This can be caused by a missing INSTALL.TXT, or INSTALL.HLP file. Module: TEXTDICT.CPP(148).

Please Help... it also says it's a Fatal Error... oh, and I have Windows XP. Thanks for the help! 😀

Lecia

Reply 1 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lecia83 wrote:

want to play EcoQuest 2. I downloaded DosBox, and I just tried to drag the INSTALL.EXE file into the DosBox program. The message says:

"Can't find text entry for 'videoPrompt.' This can be caused by a missing INSTALL.TXT, or INSTALL.HLP file. Module: TEXTDICT.CPP(148).

The most likely cause is that the INSTALL.EXE cannot find the other files required for installation. I'd advise you to create a directory that you can access with DOSbox, copy all files from EcoQuest there, and run the INSTALL.EXE from the DOSbox prompt.

JAL

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
  1. Create a directory for your game, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\EcoQuest".
  2. Start DOSBox.
  3. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C: and D:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\EcoQuest"
    Z:>mount D "C:\Downloads"

(assuming that C:\Downloads is where you have your downloads)
  4. Install the game from D: to C:

Z:>D:
    D:>install
  5. Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

(when you configure sound and are asked about stuff like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses, please verify that you use the same values as listed in "C:\Programs\DOSBox\dosbox.conf")
  6. Start game.

D:>C:
    C:>EcoQuest

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the game is called. Check the instalation guide/manual for EcoQuest for the command to use when starting the game)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 8, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had read the manual and the post I was replying to (did you?).
Minimax had written: Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\EcoQuest"
Z:>mount D "C:\Downloads"
(assuming that C:\Downloads is where you have your downloads)
Z:> D
D:> install
I noticed the D "C mount ended in Downloads and not in EcoQuest,hence my question.
I do not understand what for you invited me to buy games,unless you are selling them;BTW,I have a reasonable collection of games,all originals.because I am no criminal.
Last,the "F" you used twice in your post: is that the best gentleman´word you know?
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 8 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This site provides [near-]zero support for any game that is obtained through an [illegal] downloaded. Abandonware only exists in the minds of those who want it to. However it is a grey legal area and so companies/individuals seem to tolerate its existance.

RTFM is a commonly used term. If I'd wanted to swear at you, I would have done! No, I'm not a gentlemen and I don't mind not being one either. I hate to see lots of posts with 'I got my free game, someone please get it working for me'. You may/may not fit that description exactly I know.

Read up about DOS, read up about directory management and finally read up about DOSBox and how it provides what it does (not the technical nuts and bolts). DOSBox doesn't make DOS [or the games] any easier. In fact their usually slightly more difficult given the need to adjust settings for some games be that mounting CDs, adjust speeds, etc. Search using Google and/or this forum and you'll find lots of answers already.