VOGONS

awe64 - no sound

Topic actions

Reply 82 of 104, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not an AWE 64.
At least not one with the ct4520 model number.

Maybe an SB16 ct2800. I have one in a DOS-only 486 and it has no problem playing midi.
They have a Yamaha OPL 3 chip and are not expensive at the moment.

Check this site for more SB16 options...
' Sound Blaster 16 - Distinguishing the Endless Models '

Reply 83 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok will have a look

if anyone know any sb16 card that will work with midi and fm etc with no issues on pentium 1 machine with dos 6.22/windows 3.11 and windows 95 and also has ide cd rom audio cable interface and be able to plug my gamepad

hopefully able to find one in uk, so the shipping costs are down a bit

Reply 84 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you would like to use a SB16 card for PCM audio (like WAV files, etc) as well as OPL3 (FM synthesis), I recommend pairing your SB16 with another card for MIDI. Some people don't mind it, but I highly dislike the hanging note syndrome.

As for SB16 cards, I've tried various types and the best sound so far (for me) has been this one. I believe you still suffer from the DMA single cycle bug, but unlike James-F I'm not too concerned with it.
ct2770.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 85 of 104, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought the hanging note bug was only an issue if you were going to use a daughterboard with the card, or connect an external midi device to the card's midi port.

Reply 86 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, anything that uses the DSP for the MPU-401 interface. I need another card for my wavetable daughterboard. The AWE32 and AWE64 use AWEUTIL to emulate MPU-401 functionality for the EMU wavetable card.

Reply 87 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wav files I am nae fussed but mainly so I can play games like doom and all that, that has midi background music with my sb pro 2 had no problems but also able to play games where it had problems where the sound became garbled which the awe64 fixed

so if there is card that can do both with no issues that has ide audio cable input and able to run fine in penitum 1 machine that has dos 6.22/win 3.11 and win95

Reply 88 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can go for a Yamaha based card like the Audician 32, although there is a format incompatibility which affects a small number of sounds the most prominent being the Duke Nukem games (not 3D or later). Another good option is the ESS 1868 chipset, but you may want to check both this forum and Youtube to listen to it's FM synth as ESFM is slightly different from true OPL3. The ESS cards are great otherwise. Both the ESS and Yamaha cards are cheap purchases on Ebay.

Some resources:
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run!
YMF71x vs ES1688 Comparison Thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qp7WnTWZw4

Reply 90 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure who you're addressing your question to. Those -5V rail issues are restricted to a handful of older sound cards.
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Reply 91 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ik777 wrote:

Does your PSU unit have -5V output? (white cable)

Saying this is not occur in Creative SB series, but some compatible cards have FM issue.

don't think it does as my psu is an AT psu

Reply 92 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
You can go for a Yamaha based card like the Audician 32, although there is a format incompatibility which affects a small number […]
Show full quote

You can go for a Yamaha based card like the Audician 32, although there is a format incompatibility which affects a small number of sounds the most prominent being the Duke Nukem games (not 3D or later). Another good option is the ESS 1868 chipset, but you may want to check both this forum and Youtube to listen to it's FM synth as ESFM is slightly different from true OPL3. The ESS cards are great otherwise. Both the ESS and Yamaha cards are cheap purchases on Ebay.

Some resources:
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run!
YMF71x vs ES1688 Comparison Thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qp7WnTWZw4

ok will have a listen and read and see if I can find any in uk or nearer

Reply 95 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if anyone has any other idea a good sb16 card that will work with midi and fm etc with no issues on pentium 1 machine with dos 6.22/windows 3.11 and windows 95 and also has ide cd rom audio cable interface and be able to plug my gamepad

Reply 96 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you require true OPL3 or is good emulation okay? Do you require onboard wavetable? Do you require SB16 compatibility or is SB Pro okay (along with Windows compatible 16 bit)?

Reply 97 of 104, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Admittedly, I did not read this whole thread. Just want to add to check the physical RCA jacks on the back of the AWE 64. I had a couple of tight RCA cables and pulling them in and out did something to the jacks, I now have to keep an AT -> PS2 adapter between the RCAs and my VGA cable in order for them to contact correctly and get sound.

Reply 98 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not an issue with the analog output. PCM files (WAV files) and sound effects play fine.

Reply 99 of 104, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robhalfordfan wrote:

wav files I am nae fussed but mainly so I can play games like doom and all that, that has midi background music with my sb pro 2 had no problems but also able to play games where it had problems where the sound became garbled which the awe64 fixed

If the AWE fixed the garbled sound, maybe those games require SB16 (or at least SB16 compatibility), which the SBPro wouldn't have.

You might check this auction for an SB16 ct2830 which has a Yamaha OPL chip and IDE interface and the seller is in the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182416136593