VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dondiego wrote:
jade_angel wrote:

PCI > ISA for graphics, unless you're comparing a screamer of an ISA chip (ET4000, etc) against a stinkerino of a PCI chip (Trident 9680, say)

Are you seriously comparing a isa card to a 64 bit pci card like that trident? (even when that chip usually came with 32 bit dram).
The s3 trio64 would be my choice as well (obviously).

That was the worst-performing PCI graphics chipset I could think of - maybe there's a worse one, but I can't think of it offhand - but you're right, the sheer throughput advantage would give it the edge.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 22 of 26, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know about dos games (didn't pci cards have some compatibility problems with dos?) but for Win experience with PCI I'd like to try a S3 Virge GX or a Millennium I or a Mystique 220 PCI.

Reply 23 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

I don't know about dos games (didn't pci cards have some compatibility problems with dos?) but for Win experience with PCI I'd like to try a S3 Virge GX or a Millennium I or a Mystique 220 PCI.

That was probably PCI sound cards.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 26, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

That was the worst-performing PCI graphics chipset I could think of

Actually there were much slower and older chips.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 25 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Is this your board?

Nvm1 wrote:

It's a beauty that motherboard alright, made by Intel judging by the Lay-out. Photo is a bit unsharp to see all details (prints on the chips etc).

For a Graphics card my choice would be the PCI S3, like clueless said it will blow away the ISA cards who are hampered by the ISA bus limit.
If you may find a cheap isa Cirrus Logic then that is a good choice too seeing how compatible they are overall. 😀

Looks like an Intel board, looking at the pacement of the ISA and PCI slots.

That's it. An Intel mobo, all jumpers are placed and marked with datasheet you provided. Many thanks!

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 26 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Godlike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Is this your board?

Nvm1 wrote:

It's a beauty that motherboard alright, made by Intel judging by the Lay-out. Photo is a bit unsharp to see all details (prints on the chips etc).

For a Graphics card my choice would be the PCI S3, like clueless said it will blow away the ISA cards who are hampered by the ISA bus limit.
If you may find a cheap isa Cirrus Logic then that is a good choice too seeing how compatible they are overall. 😀

Looks like an Intel board, looking at the pacement of the ISA and PCI slots.

That's it. An Intel mobo, all jumpers are placed and marked with datasheet you provided. Many thanks!

yw 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!