VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I needed files=20 for Manhunter 2 to avoid the Insert Disk 1 error, even though the manual says you should use 30. The two Manhunter games, Gold Rush and the AGI version of King's Quest IV all use the same version of the AGI engine. It is crazy that the default files for MS-DOS, even as late as 6.22, is 8.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 21 of 23, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting I thought you didn't run the install to hard drive program which was causing your "insert disk X issue"
Usually you have to run the install / setup program and direct it to the c: drive and it will copy each disk one at a time and merge them correctly.

Other Config.sys parameters you should use or at least there were the default ones back in the day.

Files=30
Buffers=30

Reducing buffers will work to save some conventional memory.

Files = 60 or 100 probably could also work and I don't believe it uses any more conventional memory.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-24, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
95DosBox wrote:
Interesting I though you didn't run the install to hard drive program which was causing your "insert disk X issue" Usually you h […]
Show full quote

Interesting I though you didn't run the install to hard drive program which was causing your "insert disk X issue"
Usually you have to run the install / setup program and direct it to the c: drive and it will copy each disk one at a time and merge them correctly.

Other Config.sys parameters you should use or at least there were the default ones back in the day.

Files=30
Buffers=30

Reducing buffers will work to save some conventional memory.

Files = 60 or 100 probably could also work and I don't believe it uses any more conventional memory.

In my some of my systems there is no such thing as the high memory area, upper memory blocks or expanded memory managers. I would notice if a game required more than 20 or so on my 8088s and 286s.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog