VOGONS

First post, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got some serious problems with my capturing.

I'm using the AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD and a Aten VS-132 videosplitter.
The system I have my Avermedia card installed in, has Windows 7. The system I'm trying to record has Windows 98se.

In DOS;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D3lb2GE1fQ

In Windows 98se;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9AAsWTaZuA

Both the Avermedia software and VLC have these problems.

So my questions;

- Why is DOS displayed in such a small part of the screen? Why is it not stretched out? And why do I see the Win98se desktop in the top half? I didn't boot into Windows and then ran the game, I booted into DOS. This is not how I see it on the screen that's hooked up to the system. This is only in Aver Mediacenter 3D and VLC.

I should note, that the boot-up screen with the memory count, cpu-info and the looking up of the hdd/cd-rom drives, is displayed properly and fully stretched.

- Why is the Windows input garbled/distorted like that? Again, on the monitor of my retro-system everything is fine. But the recording software messes it up.

I hooked up the retro-system directly to the Avermedia card and I got this in Windows;
medium.jpg
(thumbnail, click for larger)

As you can see, it's not centered correctly. Again, this is what I see in both Aver Mediacenter 3D and VLC.

Also, when I record in Avermedia, I get an on-screen display that tells me the resolution is 720x576. But I put it at 800x600 in the settings.
When I check the codec information while watching the stream in VLC, I get this;
full.png
1600x1200?

Another strange thing is, I've had it working right but I have no idea why it's not anymore.

Can you guys help me out here? I'm getting very frustrated.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 1 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOS: You need to set capture resolution to 640x480, or else the screen will be captured in your current settings of 1600:1200 and DOS is only stretched 640x400 from screendoubling. DOS picture is not streched out in VGA mode in any resolution except native 320x240 and 640x480 and above on the Avermedia. DVI capture for DOS does not have this problem (which is why me and Mau1wurf1977 prefer DVI capture whenever possible, though with old 3D accelerators VGA is your only option)

Windows: Be sure to set 60hz in Windows98

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 10, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Aver MediaCenter 3D; Settings > Capture > Configure Input Source > Configure Recording > H.264 Edit > setting the video size doesn't seem to do anything for recording in DOS.

As for Windows, The S3 drivers I installed were to blame. Trying to solve that now.

Reply 3 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea with 640 x 480 and higher, I never had issues capturing 60 Hz signals.

For 320 x 200 games under DOS I run something with 640 x 480 first, hit record, and then the capture works. You will still need to crop and resize the video.

For newer machines go with DVI > HDMI. Works beautifully.

Here some captures:

DVI 1024 x 768 capture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM2Vf6P2M3s

VGA 3Dfx Voodoo capture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijnjjTka4c

DVI Wing Commander II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlwz7lguVQ

VGA ET4000 on a 386 capture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZ3wJ4dGCE

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 10, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is not going well. The S3 drivers were not to blame. When I select a resolution above 640x480, that's when the stream gets borked. At 640x480 there's not distortion/flickering/borked screen but it's all red-ish and shifted a bit to the left. Might be the pci slot though.

Reply 5 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MediaCenter can't edit that setting required for DOS VGA capture. You need to use RECentral (newest Avermedia software) or VLC.

In VLC:
1. Open Capture Device
2. Then select DirectShow, Avermedia HD Capture and the sound device that has the sound input.
3. Click Advanced Options and check Device Properties, click OK.
4. Click Play
5. Click OK on the first window that pops up.
6. On the next one select 60FPS as framerate and then 640x480 resolution. (select higher if you intend to capture in higher resolutions)
7. Click OK on all the next windows.

Reply 6 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

This is not going well. The S3 drivers were not to blame. When I select a resolution above 640x480, that's when the stream gets borked. At 640x480 there's not distortion/flickering/borked screen but it's all red-ish and shifted a bit to the left. Might be the pci slot though.

I still think it's a driver issue as my guess is that any DOS game that runs in 640x480 or 800x600 will look fine.

Try another card if everything fails. My personal favorite is a Voodoo3 PCI for VGA capture. It has very good signal quality, it is fast, and it centers the image on all resolutions I've tried. Using a S3 Virge is asking for trouble with the Avermedia (and bad capture quality if you have a lowend card)

Reply 7 of 10, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked the S3 because it's a 2D card. I'm worried that a 2D/3D card might interfere with the results or do the accelerating instead of the 3D card I want to record. Are my worries unfounded?

Reply 8 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

I picked the S3 because it's a 2D card. I'm worried that a 2D/3D card might interfere with the results or do the accelerating instead of the 3D card I want to record. Are my worries unfounded?

Yes 😀

I normally run 3DBlaster PCI (Rendition Speedy3D, Rredline, CGL, Direct3D), PowerVR (PowerSGL, Direct3D), Voodoo1/2 (Glide, Direct3D) in my bench system and have full control 😀

A Voodoo3 can only accelerate Glide, OpenGL (via miniGL ICD) and Direct3D. With Direct3D you can control that with the 3DCC tool. OpenGL by using the OpenGL drivers/wrappers/ICD in the game settings. For Glide it's a bit more tricky with a Voodoo3 and you want to run on a Voodoo1 card, a suggestion swapping out the Voodoo to a Nvidia card (Riva128, TNT, TNT2, etc) as that only accelerates direct3d and OpenGL.

If you insist on using a pure 2D card, then go for the ET6000 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by jack7277

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have shifted image on aver c127, under windows 98se and using something like TNT2 I can shift image manually by PowerStrip, but when Glide activates it still shifted right at 6-8 pixels.

20170124175736-png.120657

In glide mode I tried to play with SSTV2_BACKPORCH variable, but still nothing ((
https://youtu.be/YdilJR8oZs8

Reply 10 of 10, by jack7277

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, I found a solution.
it is two variables for v1 and v2
SST_BACKPORCH
SSTV2_BACKPORCH

2017-01-26_08-59-13-png.120753

and in bat file it will be something like that
SET SSTV2_BACKPORCH=0x1D001D