VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after playing X-Wing GOG version a little bit I got the feeling that I seemed to remember the graphics looked better on the old DOS version so I wanted to compare it. Got my old copy and loaded it up on my K6-III Windows 98 system.

The sound and everything tests good in the setup program outside of Windows. When I run XWINGCD i get an error "Error loading sound engine (imuse.eng)" Googling the error turns up nothing as far as I can tell. I tried configuring my audio different ways in case that was the issue. No dice.

Anyone run into this before?

Reply 1 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of things for you to try:

Try slowing your system down. Disable L1, use setmul, etc.

Also, I seem to remember once having an issue getting X-Wing or Tie Fighter running on my DOS machine, and it turned out that for some reason it did not want to run on a partition other than C: (I had installed it on D: initially). Once I reinstalled to C: it worked fine.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 5, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I feel kinda silly. I found a file called imuse.eng in the X-Wing Directory and it was 0 bytes in size. So I reinstalled and it worked fine. Weird that I did not get any errors during the installation though.

Reply 4 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:

AFAIK on GOG you get all three versions of X-Wing: DOS floppy, DOS CD and Windows CD, so no need for an old copy if you want to compare them.

Good point. You can make a DOS installer from the files in the GOG version.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for Windows games on modern systems. For games on old hardware ask in Marvin > Software

Software

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers