VOGONS

First post, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my card: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9MEAAOSwNnRYgKsS/s-l1600.jpg
Installed is Windows 98 SE and my goal is to play in DOS mode with working MIDI (DreamBlaster S1) and SB sound.

First installed driver was version 4193 and it worked fine, also for DOS games running in Windows. Then I've watched https://youtu.be/f52bZzWs-u4 and tried that, to play games like Turrican. However, the DOS driver was not loading as mentioned in the video, no sound in DOS at all. So I've messaged Phil and he told me there is an option to activate Legacy DOS driver but I was not able to find that option. So I've uninstalled the driver and installed version 4081 instead and the option was there.

But then new problems appeared. First problem was that the PC freezed when activating that option. But reserving IRQ 5 for ISA in BIOS fixed that problem. However, it is still not working. First of all, DOS games running in Windows won't find the MIDI device, only SB sound. If I deactivate Legacy DOS driver, the games will find the MIDI device but no SB sound, as seen here: https://youtu.be/GbexXBo1PLY. When starting in DOS mode, the driver is loading but I get no sound at all, neither MIDI nor SB. Though is a crackle noise while initialising TBCDOS.EXE and when trying to auto-config SB in games, but the device cannot be found/configured.

Any hint is much appreciated.

SWOS isn't just a game - it's a way of life!

Reply 1 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you need some more free IRQs, for one reason or another?

An easy solution would be to disable the serial and parallel ports in your BIOS, assuming you haven't already and you're not using them.

Reply 3 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AFAIK this card doesn't have a MPU401 under DOS.

Thats right, it doesn't even emulate MPU401 under Windows. 🙁 Your otions are getting another card or using VDMsound for Windows 9x.

To thread starter: What kind of system do you have?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 28, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AFAIK this card doesn't have a MPU401 under DOS.

Thats right, it doesn't even emulate MPU401 under Windows. 🙁 Your otions are getting another card or using VDMsound for Windows 9x.

To thread starter: What kind of system do you have?

It's that Shuttle: http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/sk41g.htm with Athlon XP-M ~2GHz CPU, 2GiB DDR RAM and a Quadro4 980 XGL GPU.

MPU-401 and SB emulation works fine under Windows with Santa Cruz driver version 4193! Can't get it to work in DOS mode though.

Recently I've bought a DreamBlaster S1 and I really like it a lot. So I need to get that working, at least in DOS and Win98. I only have one PCI and I need a Gameport, so I've got three different cards with Wave Blaster headers:

• Terratec Solo-1, was a bit tricky but got it to work perfectly fine in DOS and Windows
  • Santa Cruz, which is not an option without MPU-401 in DOS
  • DMX Xfire 1024 (not tried yet): Do you think it's the better choice for pure DOS?

Reply 6 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I can recommend an Aureal Vortex 2, that card ticks all the boxes.

For VIA chipsets the Solo-1 he/she already got is even better.

YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That should work, but no wavetable header which the Vortex 2 has, and works in DOS.

Re: DreamBlaster X2 and S1 BLACK Editions Available Soon / Pre-Order / Black Friday Bundle 😉

Works in DOS too.

YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah it does have a wavetable header. Google image search got me of track here. Well that's great then!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 28, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried the DMX Xfire and got in trouble again... "I think I can live without that particular piece of junk." 😁

I guess Kamerat is right, the Solo-1 seems to be the very best choice for this PC, at least regarding compatibility in DOS mode, which has priority.

My card has got an wavetable header: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238678 … 0170119_005.jpg and these are cheap and easy to get, but there are also many without a soldered wavetable connector.

The Vortex2 is a very interesting piece of hardware. I would like to test one some day, but it's quite challenging to get one.

Thanks @everyone for your support!

Reply 11 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That should work, but no wavetable header which the Vortex 2 has, and works in DOS.

Re: DreamBlaster X2 and S1 BLACK Editions Available Soon / Pre-Order / Black Friday Bundle 😉

Works in DOS too.

ESFM, I presume (which is good). Does it provide SPDIF output and PC/PCI capability?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

ESFM, I presume (which is good). Does it provide SPDIF output and PC/PCI capability?

Yes, ESFM. I think the Solo-1 is the only ESS PCI chip that got it.
No SPDIF on the Solo-1 but it supports PC/PCI. The Terratec cards got a PC/PCI or wavetable connector with solder pads for the other. Someday I will try to solder a PC/PCI connector to one of my boards.

YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Redhair wrote:

MPU-401 and SB emulation works fine under Windows with Santa Cruz driver version 4193! Can't get it to work in DOS mode though.

Do you know if it's possible to use the Santa Cruz' own synth with MPU-401 emulation on this driver?

YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 28, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Do you know if it's possible to use the Santa Cruz' own synth with MPU-401 emulation on this driver?

Yes, MPU-401 works fine with DOS games under Windows, here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/redhair23/sc-doom2

I'm quite impressed with the Solo-1, there's even a software wavetable under Windows, got the drivers from here: http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/128iPCI/ so I have some options to choose from. In DOS mode I can use MPU-401 with daughterboard and ESFM is working as well. I am really happy with my setup now. And with Phil's DOS mode I can play Turrican Super Easy!! 😁 Cheers!

Reply 15 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Redhair wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Yes, MPU-401 works fine with DOS games under Windows, here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/redhair23/sc-doom2

I'm quite impressed with the Solo-1, there's even a software wavetable under Windows, got the drivers from here: http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/128iPCI/ so I have some options to choose from. In DOS mode I can use MPU-401 with daughterboard and ESFM is working as well. I am really happy with my setup now. And with Phil's DOS mode I can play Turrican Super Easy!! 😁 Cheers!

I don't know how you got it working as I also enabeled legacy support in the control panel (with the 4081 driver). Do your system automatically install "Santa Cruz Virtual MPU-401"?

Good to have another "maniac" here that runs DOS games in DOS with a PCI sound card, ESS' TDMA mode works very nice on VIA systems. 😈

YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 28, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

I don't know how you got it working as I also enabeled legacy support in the control panel (with the 4081 driver). Do your system automatically install "Santa Cruz Virtual MPU-401"?

It works with last driver sc_4193.exe and it installs three devices:

• Santa Cruz(tm)
  • Santa Cruz(tm) Game Port
  • Santa Cruz(tm) WDM Interface

However, there is no option to activate Legacy DOS drivers but General MIDI and SB emulation are both working fine in DOS games running under Windows.

Reply 18 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Got to get myself a Solo-1 it seems 😀

Yes, you should! 😀

Redhair wrote:
It works with last driver sc_4193.exe and it installs three devices: […]
Show full quote

It works with last driver sc_4193.exe and it installs three devices:

• Santa Cruz(tm)
  • Santa Cruz(tm) Game Port
  • Santa Cruz(tm) WDM Interface

However, there is no option to activate Legacy DOS drivers but General MIDI and SB emulation are both working fine in DOS games running under Windows.

Looks like Windows emulates MPU-401 and Sound Blaster Pro itself when running the WDM drivers. The system I run now has problems with this mode, some skipping when running MIDI through the Santa Cruz wavetable synth.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hard … udio-components

Microsoft wrote:

SBEmul System Driver

The SBEmul system driver (Sbemul.sys) provides Sound Blaster emulation for MS-DOS applications. The SBEmul driver is a client of the SysAudio system driver. To render and capture content, the SysAudio driver uses the preferred wave and MIDI devices (as set in the Multimedia property pages in Control Panel).

Sound Blaster emulation is supported only in Windows 98/Me.

Edit: Added link and quoted the description.

YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 28, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having similar problems with DOS support using this card. In my case checking the box to add dos support from the control panel causes the entire computer to hard lock and reboot so it could be an IRQ issue or w/e but I always have problems working on things like this through windows so I'd like to try a different approach.

What would be required to add support directly to pure dos, if I booted from a 6.22 diskette for example? Can I assume I need to make a config.sys edit to load some driver file, an autoexec exit to launch some exe file and then maybe rerun the exe from the prompt to set up all the configuration parameters? It usually goes something like that. I don't care if I get general midi or SB for the midi portion, just as long as I get some kind of sound + music support from a boot disk. Any guidance on what ingredients would go into this would help immensely so I can test it out. I know this isn't the greatest card for DOS but in the machine in question it's my only option. Thanks.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer