VOGONS

First post, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys just discovered the forum and fell in love with it, a great resource for retro gaming and retro systems.

I have two computers and I'm wondering what one I should use with my Voodoo 3 3000 16MB (@186/186).

Both run Win2k Pro SP4 and they both get just under 50fps in the Quake3 demo running high setting @ 1024x768x16.

Pentium III 450 @ 560Mhz
512MB SDRAM

Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
2GB DDR2

My big problem is that my PIII system doesn't have onboard sound which I discovered last night after finally getting Windows 2k installed. 😠 The Voodoo 3 works great in both systems it just doesn't "feel" right having it in the Athlon 64 setup, but I don't want to get a sound card if my only problem is it not being a "era correct" system if that makes sense.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 3 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darkman wrote:

you can get a Sound Blaster Live for a few dollars, that would solve the lack of onboard sound.

Follow this advice.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 19, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. It sounds like you guys would prefer it to be in the PIII system. Me too. Hopefully there would be Win2k drivers for a Live! card or SB16.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 19, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fusion wrote:

Hopefully there would be Win2k drivers for a Live! card or SB16.

Lots of drivers:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7&menustate=42,35

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 7 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, welcome!

I don't think any Athlon64 board takes a voodoo3 agp so i guess you are using a pci version?

I agree, a p3 is a great match for a voodoo3. But a 450mhz might be a bit too slow. It will still work fine but to get the most out of the v3 i would use a little faster processor.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 19, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone.

meljor, yes it is the PCI version. My PIII is OCed to 560Mhz. Not a massive difference but it does help.

Reply 9 of 19, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Windows 98 for every Voodoo 3, 4 or 5 I own. This prevents tweaks, tests, tinkering with
games and unofficial drivers installation and also helps performance.

I don't pass the 1GHz mark for Voodoos and I think there are better options for OpenGL
- a Nvidia card or something newer.
Are there glide games requiring a 1,2GHz processor to play them in full glory?

I will take the blows, but I have to say what I am feeling right now.
Sometimes going "correct period" is to pretty up 😀 😀 but I guess not this time.

Maybe I just plain wrong and not updated, not playing suitable games, but yeah,
My experience. I hope people here correct me cause this is one reason I love VOGONS, too.

Reply 10 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope you're giving your V3 some extra cooling?
Out of the 2 systems you've presented us I'd definitely pick the P3, though I'd use a V3 in something a little bit faster (to me something like between 600MHz and 1GHz seem right for a V3).

Voodoo is also a good match for Super 7 boards due to Voodoos using hardly any AGP features, which increases the ss7 platform's stability. K6-X + Voodoo 3 == 😀 😀 😀

I've used WinME mostly when building systems that did not feature an ISA sound card.
And what the missing onboard sound is concerned, this was very common before i815. I'd say just throw something in there and see how it works out and otherwise I'd suggest you take the advices that are already given here 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 19, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The lame part is that the motherboard, a p6bx-an from Tekram normally does have onboard sound, but of course the one I acquired does not 🙁 I can even see where the solder points are for the outputs and sound chip.

Would my V3 fry itself without extra cooling? I was going to put a fan on the heat sink eventually. I only OC when I launch a game, and I was going to mount a 120mm fan to blow over it too.

Reply 12 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The heatsink on my Voodoo3 3000 gets uncomfortably hot. It just felt right to put a fan onto the heatsink.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 19, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo3 tends to run faster with a faster CPU because of lack of hardware TnL, but also hotter, so it's a good idea to put a fan on it, especially since you're overclocking it. I'm running mine with a 1ghz P3, I think it's pretty much maxing out its potential at that point. Lack of onboard sound is not much of a problem as onboard sound tends to be meh anyways. Add an Audigy 2 ZS or even better an Aureal Vortex 2, install win98se, and you're set for all 1995-2001 games 😀

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 16 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fusion wrote:

The lame part is that the motherboard, a p6bx-an from Tekram normally does have onboard sound, but of course the one I acquired does not 🙁 I can even see where the solder points are for the outputs and sound chip.

Trust me, it's not a big deal 😀

Just add some random sound card you may already have laying around which has the proper support for hardware and drivers for your board and OS and you can always upgrade it somewhere down the road 😀
Or of you're really into the retro feeling you can try reliving your retro sound experience through the internal PC speaker 😁 (no volume knob 🤣 I hope my parents don';t wake up! 😜).

Onboard sound solutions were not considered very great back in the day and personally I tend to just put any decent sound card in there and experiment and see if I actually like it or not. It's also about just trying out stuff and trying a few sound cards is not really a big deal anyway 😀

Try out stuff, add some Live! and see if you like it 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 19, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You asked about Win2k and the SB16 - Win2k does in fact include drivers for all the ISA Soundblasters including the AWE32/64, and the various cards based on the ESS Audiodrive chipsets. I think there's built-in support for the Yamaha OPL-SAx cards too but I'm not 100% sure.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 18 of 19, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to see someone standing by ISA. Like in:

Lack or poor DirectX hardware acceleration wouldn't make any difference; *
ISA sound cards > Realtek onboard sound card; **

** During a long time, but of course time's changed.
The guy stating this was talking big, in a confident manner, saying something about 16-bit and resamples.
I can't remember his arguments.

* What I vaguely remember is my inconclusive tests with Undying.
I was like - Man, why my Voodoo 5 is stuttering and chopping ? I tried to change the
ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 for a Sound Blaster Live! to no avail! I hope this game isn't
just one more of those bad optimized games...Terrifying, yes.

How I hate myself cause I haven't been playing around this issue. 😠
I have all resources to do that, including the Aureal Vortex 2 mentioned here.

Reply 19 of 19, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What sorts of things are you doing with these systems? If your target is late dos early windows games or being period correct then I agree the P3 is a much better fit in general but it deserves a good sound card, even if it did have onboard sound it wouldn't do games any justice. If your target is windows games only then the Athlon 64 would probably work just fine and the Voodoo3 would work although it would certainly be the performance bottleneck.