VOGONS

First post, by rpz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Geforce2 Ultra which initially seemed to be damaged. When connected via the VGA port the color channels were messed up; constant blue hue even in POST. Also, when testing Quake III at 1600x1200 the game would crash immediately when applying this resolution in settings.

My knowledge regarding PCB boards etc. is limited so please forgive the following non-technical phrasing 😀

I noticed a couple of issues on the card as outlined in the first image below. First of all, one of the pins going into the VGA connector was bend/sticking half way out (on the image I have reinserted it). Secondly, one of the 'things' soldering looked pretty weak - and fell off as soon as I touched it. So after reinserting the pin, I had a colleague re-solder the 'thing' on the card. Success! Colors perfect and Quake III not crashing anymore. Since the fan was very noisy I decided to clean/fix it - and remove/reapply thermal paste on the graphics chip (see second image below). Big thanks to brostenen for the guide on fixing up old fans!

Geforce2 Ultra running almost as brand new!

Now if anyone can explain what exactly those 'things' are - that'd be great.

22fe4c536149300.jpg
7e8646536149288.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Looks like a damage leg on the vga connecter is bad. Also the missing part looks like a titanium smd cap or filter. Can't quite tell. no clue what the rating might be.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-03-05, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "thing" that fell off was an inductor (L), which was a part of LC filter circuit for red color signal , the pin that broke off in DB15 connector was used for a green signal line, so you were left only with blue color. Lucky you that the last color signal was intact, else you would get blank screen while testing it (though monitor would still report H and V sync freqs).

Reply 4 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And why the inductor is there, it makes a low-pass filter to limit the bandwidth of the video signal, or in other words, make it have less sharp edges.

In theory you could have tested the card by bypassing the inductor with a short circuit and you would have seen red component of the signal as well.
But having a different filter between on one of the red/green/blue components can cause some visible effects you may not want to see in long term.

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

At least your's was fixable, my Geforce 2 Ultra caught on fire 🤣

That's one heck of a hot-running chip 😵

Anyway, you happen to have taken any pics? 😜

I never had anything actually catch fire, but I did get magic smoke a couple times and got zapped once or twice and only had one explosion so all is good.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I don't have any photos, but I had plenty of stuff catch fire.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-03-14, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.