VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all! I am finally jumping into the Voodoo game and was curious what everyone uses as their 2D card along side their Voodoo 1 or 2 setup? I've heard a lot of talk of using a Matrox Millennium 2 or a Diamond Stealth v330. I have dug an old Cirrus Logic GD5446 card out of my box of parts that I am going to put into my Voodoo 1 rig which I am in the process of piecing together. Anyone have any experience with that Cirrus Logic card?

Reply 1 of 18, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Cirrus GD5446 is a competent 2D card. Nothing to write home about, but no slouch either. In DOS it does pretty well. In Windows, my only reservation would be the fairly low video RAM - all of them I've seen have been 1MB or 2MB cards.

To pair with a Voodoo2, however, it'd depend on what the rest of the box looks like. I rather like the Matrox G400 Max - pretty quick for D3D games, great image quality. It's serviceable for OpenGL games too, but at that point, might as well use the Voodoo2, since it's there (especially SLI).

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 18, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my Voodoo 1, I use a Matrox Millennium II PCI 4MB. Great card, good image quality and excellent performance in DOS SVGA games.

I also have a Voodoo 2 SLI paired with a regular Matrox G400... I did try with a couple of Viper V550s (Riva TNT) before, but I've had terrible luck with those cards: one was dead and the other one won't post half the time.

Back in the day (late 90s) I used my Voodoo 2 with a Matrox Mystique 220 for a while (was great for DOS/2D stuff) but soon after I got a Slot 1 motherboard and inexplicably decided to ditch the Mystique and use the integrated graphics, the wretched SiS 6326 (I clearly didn't know what I was doing).

Reply 3 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How would you like to use the system WITHOUT the voodoo, ask yourself that question and base your choice on that. Just see the voodoo as a very nice bonus so the system can play glide games as well...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 18, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

How would you like to use the system WITHOUT the voodoo, ask yourself that question and base your choice on that. Just see the voodoo as a very nice bonus so the system can play glide games as well...

Good point. Mostly mid 90s Dos games up to 1997 would be this builds purpose. I notice you are using the S3 Virge in your Voodoo 1 build. How do you like that card?

Reply 5 of 18, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote:

Back in the day (late 90s) I used my Voodoo 2 with a Matrox Mystique 220 for a while (was great for DOS/2D stuff) but soon after I got a Slot 1 motherboard and inexplicably decided to ditch the Mystique and use the integrated graphics, the wretched SiS 6326 (I clearly didn't know what I was doing).

I think I have an SiS card somewhere. Are those generally not a good brand?

Reply 6 of 18, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They're slow, kinda like Trident (except Blade3D, oddly those are OK). Not low-quality, exactly, but bargain basement.

For DOS games, Cirrus is a solid choice, actually - very compatible and, for PCI cards, comparable to Tseng and S3 speedwise. Matrox is up there too, but has some issues with a few games.

Reply 7 of 18, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those of you that have Voodoo1 do you see horizontal kind of wavy lines when you play your glide games? I just got mine installed and have noticed this.

Reply 8 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsmith2003 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Good point. Mostly mid 90s Dos games up to 1997 would be this builds purpose. I notice you are using the S3 Virge in your Voodoo 1 build. How do you like that card?

I had many cards alongside the voodoo1, never had much problems. For a long time i had a g200 pci in there but i switched to the virge so i could try out some games that were actually supported by that card and see how it performed... Mostly the higher res that is supported in Destruction Derby got my attention. Unfortunately i never got that working and probably have the wrong version of the game.

I keep it in there because it is also good for old dos games it seems but i never had problems with the other cards. All my systems are build for glide games and i use them primarily for that.

In the v2 system i like the gf2 gts as it enables a few games that can normally not run on the k6-3 because it is a bit too slow so when a game supports hardware TnL it runs way better and that is a bonus.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 18, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The S3 Virge DX is my Voodoo's companion and it performs quite nice. Both are Diamond's editions: Monster and Stealth 3D Pro 2000.

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC2😜 III 800MHz, MS-6178, 256MB SDRAM, 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Creative CT4810
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 11 of 18, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to pair my Canopus Pure3D 6mb Voodoo1 with a Matrox Millenium II/4MB. It has since been replaced with a S3 ViRGE/DX (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB) only to play Terminal Velocity in S3D (which sucks, btw). While the Millenium was a great card, it was incompatible with some DOS games. Diamond's S3 offering had good output quality too, esp. when compared to cheaper S3 cards. There was a DOS video card compatibility list somewhere here as well but I can't find the link right now.

So, that's pretty much Matrox and S3 for all of us... Rendition Verite anyone? 🤣

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 12 of 18, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose another fair option might be the ATI Rage 128, actually. IIRC, those work pretty well in DOS too. They have some 3D accel, but you'd rather use the Voodoo2 almost any time it's an option. (They get smeared by the TNT2, Voodoo2 and G400, IIRC)

Reply 14 of 18, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Captain NA wrote:

I always go with Matrox cards for 2D. If it's Voodoo2 i go for Matrox G200 or Mystique 220. When it's a Voodoo1 i go for the original Matrox Mystique.

Me too, when I tried Voodoo 1/2 builds of the one I have I choose the Mystique 220 PCI, imho a very good vga signal quality. With those pass trough cables, I think it's important to have the best time correct vga signal and the correct short vga cable.

Reply 16 of 18, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dated correctly? If so, honestly a Riva128 or TNT1 is nice, they have good DOS support and can cover the D3D holes the Voodoo doesn't do well at. I actualy use a Geforce 2 with mine and relegate the Voodoo 2 to glide only games.

Reply 17 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

Dated correctly? If so, honestly a Riva128 or TNT1 is nice, they have good DOS support and can cover the D3D holes the Voodoo doesn't do well at. I actualy use a Geforce 2 with mine and relegate the Voodoo 2 to glide only games.

Pretty much the same here, Good chance a Voodoo2 system has a AGP slot, Why limit yourself and use a Nvidia card and have good dos and D3D support as well.

Reply 18 of 18, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about a (good brand) S3 Savage4?
It is quite capable for up to 800x600 and suffers almost no penalty while at 32bit colors. Also, it has very good image quality (when a good manufacturer is behind it).

A PII 450mhz, a Voodoo2 + S3 Savage4, 440BX chipset. Great period correct performer system (although, yes I know a S3 Savage 3D would be more 1998 than the Savage 4 which is early 1999).