VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having lost interest in the hobby/collecting, I am planning on selling my boxed Sound Blaster collection.
Today I found the time and will to test some but I ran into some problems with 2 of the cards.
My skills are totally rusty so I am asking for some help here 😀

First one is a AWE32 PnP CT3980. Upon initial fast inspection the card shows no signs of damage but I haven't checked it cm by cm. Putting this in my Win 95 MMX rig does ummm nothing. I used the original install disks but really nothing happens and I don't see it in device manager, nor can I select playback devices etc (of course?) The only thing I hear through the headphone is probably static sounds?
Could this card be dead or do I need to change jumpers? The only thing I can try it to put it in my 486 DOS rig but I am not sure the case is big enough for it.

Second one is an AWE64 Gold CT4390 with the CT1950 RAM upgrade. I can get the card to work but I am not sure how to test if the RAM still works. The diagnostic tool said something about 4MB DRAM found on the card and tested but isn't that the memory from the CT4390 itself?

Thanks in advance

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 4, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the AWE32 PnP working after a fresh install of Win 95.
*EDIT*: AWE64 working and showing 28MB of RAM so the CT1950 is also working yuy.

My small Creative collection (third box is an Audigy 2 ZS and weirdly not showing now, a SB16 Vibra CT4170):
2z8udra.jpg

Another tricky question but I don't know if it's allowed here. Please forgive me if it's not. Really having a hard time putting prices on the stuff 🙁
What would the AWE64 fetch because I am thinking about selling a big piece of my collection. Everything that needs to be in the box is there + the CT1950.

Reply 3 of 4, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:

Having lost interest in the hobby/collecting, I am planning on selling my boxed Sound Blaster collection.

Are you nuts? Don't to it, you'll regret it.
What are you going to gain, something like 200$?

Just store your collection at the attic or in the basement.
Don't sell it.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 4 of 4, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the thought had crossed my mind that I'll probably regret it sooner or later :s
Considering some good deals I had for these cards when I bought them, I would make more profit than 200$ but my goal is to fund my other hobby.
On the other hand,saving some more money each month can get the job done too 😀

I was surprised to see a CT1950 being sold for 200$, so I thought my complete AWE64 Gold bundle must be worth a bit more then and maybe even desired for other collectors.
But you're right, I'll stick on to it by now and enjoy it while my collection smiles at me from my right side when I'm on the PC.