VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am torn between a PCI or ISA card in two computers I am putting together. I am doing the year correct builds and I have a 1996 build and a 1997 build both with AWE64 cards. My questionn is if I were to put SB Live cards in the 1998 and 1999 builds am I missing out on some good dos game compatibility if I already have the 1996 and 1997 builds for that era of DOS gaming. Did anything that "required" an ISA sound card come out in 1998 and later?

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you will be missing out, especially the early Lives as you deal with really awkward FM->Wavetable 'emulation' 😁

The AWE-supporting games (Eradicator, FF7, etc) don't work on Live IIRC.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think an ISA card would definitely be the ideal solution for all the late 90's builds. The fact is that AWE64 cards, just for example, are getting to be too expensive to buy. So was wondering what my alternatives may be. And I have a pile of SBLive cards 🤣.

I am going to rephrase my question. What DOS games are worth while that were released January 1st 1998- January 1st 2000?

I think Eradicator was a 1996 game and FF7 a 1997 game.

Reply 3 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fsmith2003 wrote:

I think an ISA card would definitely be the ideal solution for all the late 90's builds. The fact is that AWE64 cards, just for example, are getting to be too expensive to buy. So was wondering what my alternatives may be. And I have a pile of SBLive cards 🤣.

I am going to rephrase my question. What DOS games are worth while that were released January 1st 1998- January 1st 2000?

I think Eradicator was a 1996 game and FF7 a 1997 game.

I'm not aware of any. Seems 1997 was the last year any significant DOS titles were released.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even if there were DOS games of any significance released in that narrow timeframe, I can't imagine they wouldn't work precisely as the developers intended on a system from 1997 or even 1996.

Reply 5 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsmith2003 wrote:

If the game has options for running General MIDI music, sampled music or CD audio the Live! often will do just fine. The requirement for EMM386 and a large(?) TSR can cause some incompatibilities, but I think you see less of them in newer DOS games.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in a somewhat similar position here. I've built a SS7 rig mostly for DOS games, but quickly realised there is no reason I can't enjoy some Windows on it as well. It has a K6-3+, so it runs Unreal Gold really well, but it feels like the SB16 is not really up to the task. It's not noisy or anything, but the music and sounds in game feel like I'm listening to a really low-bitrate MP3.

Don't know whether it's the soundcard or the quality of the source material itself, but I feel like I need to stick a PCI card there for good measure.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

type 'preferences' in the console and raise those audio mixing rates and etc. Also you might want to adjust the bass/treble in Windows' volume control. iirc the SB16 defaults to some really low treble (at least the early drivers did)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was your only or even 2nd retro gaming PC I would have said definitely keep ISA, maybe ISA and PCI card
But the fact you already have a 96 and 97 build with Awe64 you can probably get away with "crappy dos support" I'd much prefer a Live! for 9x gaming.
Specially as you don't seem to have any dos games specifically in mind, so you may never even drop into dos?