Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17020 of 52775, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality. […]
Show full quote

I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality.

The board would not post with a video card in the AGP or top PCI slot, upon further inspection I found:
S5bEz4jl.jpg

So I've got some work to do if I want to use this board 😀

Am I missing something here? I just see a slightly bulging cap. But it shouldn't stop you from using AGP or first PCI?

Reply 17021 of 52775, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality. […]
Show full quote

I picked up this beast yesterday. The case weighs a tonne! Thick steel everywhere. Nice quality.

The board would not post with a video card in the AGP or top PCI slot, upon further inspection I found:
S5bEz4jl.jpg

So I've got some work to do if I want to use this board 😀

Am I missing something here? I just see a slightly bulging cap. But it shouldn't stop you from using AGP or first PCI?

Dying/leaking/etc caps can cause instability with certain parts of the motherboards. I've got an ECS motherboard with similar symptoms that I think may need a recap soon.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17022 of 52775, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Dying/leaking/etc caps can cause instability with certain parts of the motherboards. I've got an ECS motherboard with similar symptoms that I think may need a recap soon.

Interesting, I've had a board with much worse caps (browning) and it can post and do 3D, but crash.

Also got these in, Canopus Spectra 5400R2 and 5400PE, TNT2 and TNT2 Ultra.

RVSlfB0.jpg

Reply 17023 of 52775, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Interesting, I've had a board with much worse caps (browning) and it can post and do 3D, but crash. […]
Show full quote
cj_reha wrote:

Interesting, I've had a board with much worse caps (browning) and it can post and do 3D, but crash.

Also got these in, Canopus Spectra 5400R2 and 5400PE, TNT2 and TNT2 Ultra.

RVSlfB0.jpg

*sploosh*

As far as the caps. I had a precision 670 that ran stable for 3-4 years with really bad caps. I've also got an IBM x series server somewhere with caps just as bad. (Obvious brown leakage on top) But it runs fine whenever I decide to power it up. One of these days i'll cap a few mobos with my hakko.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17024 of 52775, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I know for a fact I had to replace any Licon cap on my QDI Advance 10B/E/F. They were visually fine but the board wouldn't POST most of the times (or lock up if it did). I replaced them with OST RLX caps and it POSTs and runs fine since then.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 17025 of 52775, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
dexvx wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I know for a fact I had to replace any Licon cap on my QDI Advance 10B/E/F. They were visually fine but the board wouldn't POST most of the times (or lock up if it did). I replaced them with OST RLX caps and it POSTs and runs fine since then.

Curious, so how did you conclude it was the caps fault? I would not have suspected that slightly bulged cap, much less a cap that looks fine.

Reply 17026 of 52775, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VP6 uses Jackson caps, which are a known bad cap. In the case of my VP6 it is not the tops that blew out, but the bottoms. You cant even tell unless you desolder them.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17027 of 52775, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Nice! Now i finally know what board is inside 😎

I asked the seller if he could check the brand/type of the motherboard but he never answered, i wondered if it would be a tualatin capable board..

Still a nice setup and hopefully you can fix it.

I was silently hoping for a Tualatin-capable board, but those are quite rare as you know. I think our country adopted the Pentium 4 early. I used to have a MSI 694D in the past, I will use this VP6 to recreate that PC.

1982 to 2001

Reply 17028 of 52775, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Inside: An Abit VP6 with two Pentium III 1GHZ CPU's

So you picked it up in the end, The seller didn't want to post it only pick up 😠
happens alot to the stuff I want as its to far away from me....

Reply 17029 of 52775, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a LTD-122. I have not tested it yet, but the drive makes some noise when I tilt it, like here is something broken off inside 🙁

gdjacobs wrote:

That looks like it might have a Lite-On LTD163. That's a far better drive than the Kenwood (although a little noisier than some others).

1982 to 2001

Reply 17030 of 52775, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since those two slots don't work, I guessed that this cap might be the cause. I will only know for sure after it is replaced.

dexvx wrote:

1982 to 2001

Reply 17031 of 52775, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
meljor wrote:

I asked the seller if he could check the brand/type of the motherboard but he never answered, i wondered if it would be a tualatin capable board..

I was silently hoping for a Tualatin-capable board, but those are quite rare as you know. I think our country adopted the Pentium 4 early. I used to have a MSI 694D in the past, I will use this VP6 to recreate that PC.

Love the MSI 694D, it works well with Tualatins if you have or the adapters or the modded Tualatins. Unfortunatly mine works now a bit flaky so I guess it's also time to replace caps since 4 started bulging..

Reply 17032 of 52775, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This Geforce 2 GTS came finally here, i noticed the box where it came was really big (enough to fit a motherboard there), the card was inside of an antistatic bag and the whole inside of the box cushioned

Attachments

• 20170517_095618.jpg
    Filename
    20170517_095618.jpg
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170517_095629.jpg
    Filename
    20170517_095629.jpg
    File size
    2.02 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17033 of 52775, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Curious, so how did you conclude it was the caps fault? I would not have suspected that slightly bulged cap, much less a cap that looks fine.

Simple. The board would rarely POST or lock up (if it would POST) during RAM counting.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 17034 of 52775, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a Tyan S2507T, which is Tualatin capable. That one also has bulging caps, but works like a charm. I should re-cap them together, probably cheaper to buy more parts at the same time. I should check to see if they use the same caps, but there are many different shapes and sizes.

Oh and I remember that I also have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 that needs new caps.

Nvm1 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
meljor wrote:

Love the MSI 694D, it works well with Tualatins if you have or the adapters or the modded Tualatins. Unfortunatly mine works now a bit flaky so I guess it's also time to replace caps since 4 started bulging..

1982 to 2001

Reply 17035 of 52775, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, the seller told me about someone who wanted it shipped 'down south'. I decided it was worth to drive about an hour, and then an hour back to get it. Not my best buy, also not my worst 😉

I prefer shipping also, my time is more valuable than the shipping costs to me. This system would not have survived shipping though. I think it weighs almost 20 kgs.

Richo wrote:
meljor wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Inside: An Abit VP6 with two Pentium III 1GHZ CPU's

So you picked it up in the end, The seller didn't want to post it only pick up 😠
happens alot to the stuff I want as its to far away from me....

1982 to 2001

Reply 17036 of 52775, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Postman just brought me this piece of hardware.
Boxed GUS Classic clone made by Primax. Soundstorm M16-C.

Attachments

• BATYRA_primax_m16-C.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_primax_m16-C.jpg
    File size
    333.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Primax Soundstorm M16-C
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17038 of 52775, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Everyone else has more GUS than me..

I have 0 GUS. Do you have 0 GUS as well?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17039 of 52775, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Everyone else has more GUS than me..

I have 0 GUS. Do you have 0 GUS as well?

By that logic, appiah4 probably owes someone a GUS, so -1 GUS there.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog